Home Forums Movies Best Animated Feature (2017)

Best Animated Feature (2017)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
14 hours ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

In honour of the release of The LEGO Batman Movie, I thought I would do this again because I love this category so much.

Whereas last year was arguably the strongest category in years, this year looks to be a particularly weak one, at least on my end. I am having a tough time thinking of five nomination predictions this early. Usually I at least have an inkling.

As of February 9th, 2017

-The Breadwinner
    -Coco
    -Loving Vincent (if it gets a 2017 release)
    -The Star
    -[some foreign release I am unaware of]

Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Some people may be wondering why I didn’t choose The LEGO Batman Movie after it’s strong reviews. Well there is one damning thing that the movie has against it, The LEGO Movie was snubbed at the Oscars back in 2014, even after it seemed to be the frontrunner. It is obvious at the Oscars are not keen on this franchise, and if any LEGO property is getting a nomination in this weak year, it will be more likely The LEGO Ninjago Movie. Same with Cars 3. Even though this movie actually looks good, I would say it would have to get the best reviews of the entire franchise to even get a consideration of an Oscar nod.

But yeah, I lot of real stinkers this year, like the Animal Crackers movie, Nut Job 2 and The Emoji Movie, but had a hard time coming up with potential nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Loving Vincent is being nominated if it comes out in time. I can’t see how the Academy would not nominate such a cool concept. With that said, every year, it seems like 1 to 2 foreign films get in, so here are the possibilities for American films to fill the other 3 to 4 spots (sans Loving Vincent):

Coco (Pixar Original that is not The Good Dinosaur)
    Lego Batman Movie (Justice for Lego Movie Franchise)
    Despicable Me 3 (2 got nominated)
    Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (Great source material & cast)
    Lego Ninjago Movie (Justice for Lego Movie Franchise)
    Cars 3 (1 got nominated & looks better than 2)
    The Boss Baby (Looks funny)
    Ferdinand (Possibly if it comes out when it is scheduled to)

I don’t see Nut Job 2, The Emoji Movie, Animal Crackers, nor The Star as potential nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

As of this early, I’m going with Coco, Cars 3 and The Breadwinner.

I don’t think Cars 3 will have to struggle for a nomination. No need to get the best reviews of the entire franchise to even get a consideration – shouldn’t be hard to surpass those either. If it’s good, will be on the race. If it’s great, will be in. So far looks on track.

I would be surprised if Cartoon Saloon gets ignored for The Breadwinner. If they made it with The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea, and given that they have more of a name now and a supportive following, with this one should be smoother. Also the theme could give them a push.

Unless something huge happens, I think Coco could get to the end as the dominating frontrunner, such as Inside Out did.

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

if any LEGO property is getting a nomination in this weak year, it will be more likely The LEGO Ninjago Movie.

Why not both?

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

if any LEGO property is getting a nomination in this weak year, it will be more likely The LEGO Ninjago Movie.

Why not both?

I honestly think it’ll be a case of “one or the other” and The LEGO Batman Movie really doesn’t seem like an Academy movie. They never were big fans of Batman. Even The Dark Knight didn’t get Best Picture or Best Director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think the argument of the Academy not into Batman fully applies. Getting a Batman movie into Best Animated Feature seems less likely to get the objections of getting a Batman movie into Best Picture. Not that I agree, but it would fit better there to them.

And if The LEGO Batman Movie doesn’t seem like an Academy movie, then The LEGO Ninjago Movie is way further. Seriously. From the plot, the trailer, the tone, the Ninjago®. Using last year examples, seems to be more on the Angry Birds or The Secret Life of Pets side.

Like 3% chance to be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I just thought that because maybe the martial arts angle could be potentially more accessible for them. They did nominate the first two Kung Fu Panda movies which were also comedic martial arts movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

I always thought the voters just hated the live-action framing angle for Lego Movie. But I’m rooting for Ninjago as there are actually Asian actors with prominent roles, unlike certain two string movies.

Reading through last year’s thread: “lol Zootopia is not going to be nominated why are you guys even trying it.” “That’s also what I’m thinking. Movies with this early a release rarely factor into the race. It doesn’t matter how successful they are, they just don’t get remembered almost a year later.” Amusing.
    Though I was super wrong about Dory making it in. I thought Moana would be more likely to disappoint.

I know some people get tired of Disney winning, but they are the best at having movies strong in both box office and acclaim.
    4 of the first 6 animated winners were not Disney Animation or Pixar created, and they managed to have that combination whilst Disney was relatively weaker those years…

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Early reviews for The Boss Baby are not looking good. So far it has a worse RT score than DreamWorks lowest rated film, Shark Tale.

ReplyCopy URL
    KarlVillalobos
    Participant
    Topics:

This is not a good year for animation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

This is not a good year for animation.

It’s not looking so good so far, which is a shame because IMO last year was one of the strongest years in animation ever. Oh well.

Still holding out for the remainder of the year and see if there could be something that comes out of nowhere and surprises, but I actually wouldn’t mind a foreign release taking home the Oscar this year (The Breadwinner?)

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Your Name should’ve waited to do their release this year instead of that pre-screen in Dec where barely anyone here saw it. Could’ve gotten in this year seeing how this year seems weak so far in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah that would’ve been interesting. They could’ve potentially won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Just based on the trailer, Captain Underpants looks actually pretty silly, but in a good way. I just wonder its chances because the Oscars tend not to nominate films based on prior material, even beloved kid-friendly ones. The Simpsons Movie, The Peanuts Movie, both SpongeBob movies are prime examples.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.