Best Animated Feature (2017)

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Animated Feature (2017)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • John
    Participant
    Topics:

Early reviews for The Boss Baby are not looking good. So far it has a worse RT score than DreamWorks lowest rated film, Shark Tale.

I watched one trailer for it, and had to force myself to finish it by holding my eyelids open and forcibly keeping my head from turning away with my hands. They kept trying to cover my ears while holding my head straight. Had to take Pepto Bismol and Dramamine immediately afterward, but they only helped a little. Five Looney Tunes short classics later I started to feel better. How on Earth did they get funding for it? Who made those budget decisions? The lack of fiduciary due diligence goes beyond “Willful Disregard” to all out “Willful Blindness”. It’s utterly inconceivable how they could have not found or known about the pair of “Baby Genius” movie train wrecks in 1999 and 2004. The Boss Baby is an animated attempt to reboot the concept. Should have just been booted.

John

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah it’s official, The Boss Baby as of right now has a whopping 29% on Rotten Tomatoes, the lowest for any theatrical DreamWorks film, even lower than Shark Tale, AKA: “Cancer: The Movie”. This pretty much means that it will not be nominated for Oscar and is out of the running unless we have an incredibly, phenomenally weak year (which it is shaping up to be one of the weaker years). Even so, “Cancer: The Movie” managed to get a nomination in a weak year, so maybe? At the very least it could get a nomination from another award ceremony in the forthcoming circuit, like how the terrible “The Nut Job” got nominated in one of them, I forget which one, but Oscar, fat chance.

Smurfs: The Lost Village also has a 33%, which isn’t looking good, but it could improve because it still has another week until release. It at the very least looks much better than those dreadful two live-action/animated Smurfs movies, AKA: “Cancer: The Movie: Part 2” and “Cancer: The Movie: Part 3”.

ReplyCopy URL
    4getregret
    Participant
    Topics:

Current Predictions:
    The Breadwinner
    Coco
    In This Corner of the World
    Loving Vincent

Pixar wins because it’s the only name they’ll recognize. Unless foreign / independent films offer a strong showing, I don’t see more than four nominees this year.

On the bubble:
    Cars 3
    The Lego Batman Movie
    My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

At CinemaCon, Disney announced all its upcoming slate. Set for Summer 2017 is an Untitled Fairy Tale.

Any thoughts on what this is? Could it be an animation?

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Animated Feature will now be voted on by all voters.

Time to say goodbye to the GKIDS nominations, and any hope of them winning now!

*changes predix to include Despicable Me 3 and The Boss Baby*

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Animated Feature will now be voted on by all voters.

Time to say goodbye to the GKIDS nominations, and any hope of them winning now!

*changes predix to include Despicable Me 3 and The Boss Baby*

It’s utter nonsense. AMPAS was clearly pushed by studios who wanted the extra bit of publicity all to themselves and celebrities who make jerkoff pet projects like Sausage Party.

Animation is a craft, like production design or visual effects, and voters in that branch were uniquely qualified to highlight the five strongest achievements in any given year whether you always agreed with them or not.

Renders the category totally irrelevant now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

WHAT THE FUCK.

ReplyCopy URL
    Prideful
    Participant
    Topics:

Well there goes any hopes of another anime movie ever winning/nominated again. At least we got Spirited Away to be the token winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree this is a What the Fuck decision, but wasn’t the animation category considered a crapshoot anyway considering there was that expose a few years ago (the Frozen year) that revealed the voters were just voting for the easy Disney/Pixar choices or whatever their kid said they liked instead of viewing all of them objectively? Already they weren’t taking the category seriously.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree this is a What the Fuck decision, but wasn’t the animation category considered a crapshoot anyway considering there was that expose a few years ago (the Frozen year) that revealed the voters were just voting for the easy Disney/Pixar choices or whatever their kid said they liked instead of viewing all of them objectively? Already they weren’t taking the category seriously.

The winners were always voted upon by the larger membership, not the nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Prideful
    Participant
    Topics:

Well to be honest, the problem of voting without watching the movie isn’t just limited to animated features, it’s valid in every single Oscar category. Realistically speaking, it’s more time efficient to just name check the contenders based on the other pre-cursor awards. Don’t see the rationale to make this category more of a joke than it already is to the general public. Insulting to animation creators and teams behind it, because it takes more effort to chuck out a shit animated movie than those phoned-in recyclable live movie we get every week. This vote change solves nothing and only brings more problem.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

The winners were always voted upon by the larger membership, not the nominees.

My mistake. Then we are indeed fucked. I modify my statement: Before, good and unique nominees still got in, they just never really toppled the easy/lazy/predictable Disney/Pixar win (yeah they make good movies, but can’t we have something else? Anything?). Now they don’t have to worry about losing, because they won’t get in. B)

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

And I’ll have y’all know that Boss Baby rocketed up to a 53%. How many movies have we seen doubled their scores from awful to terrible? I think we’re looking at a lock.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

“Invitations to join the nominating committee will be sent to all active Academy members, rather than a select craft-based group,” the Academy said. “Voting in the nominations round will now be preferential instead of based on a numerical scoring system. Members participating on the nominating committee may view films in their theatrical runs or at other screenings, through the Academy’s streaming site or on DVDs/screeners to qualify to vote.”

Okay, this is not so bad. You guys made it sound like everyone would be voting, like PGA.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, the initial reports did not spell out the rule change that level of detail — especially pertaining to the requirements to watch the films in question.

So it’s not as bad as initially feared, although I still have concerns that the independent animations will be put at a disadvantage.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)
Reply To: Best Animated Feature (2017)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.