Home Forums Movies Best Animated Feature (2017)

Best Animated Feature (2017)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 116 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

“Invitations to join the nominating committee will be sent to all active Academy members, rather than a select craft-based group,” the Academy said. “Voting in the nominations round will now be preferential instead of based on a numerical scoring system. Members participating on the nominating committee may view films in their theatrical runs or at other screenings, through the Academy’s streaming site or on DVDs/screeners to qualify to vote.”

Okay, this is not so bad. You guys made it sound like everyone would be voting, like PGA.

No it’ll be a self selecting group like Bafta. The group that snubbed Anomalisa and Song of the Sea for Minions and snubbed Your Name for Finding Dory. The major difference isn’t caused by opening up the voting but by losing the rating system and whichever way you look at it this is backward step in the best films getting nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

If I were part of the animators’ branch, from now on I would strictly vote just for independent/foreign films, and let the other members pick the mainstream options. This category should not lose the ounce of diversity it has been good at keeping.

There is absolutely nothing that justifies this change, and animators should be outraged.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

If I were part of the animators’ branch, from now on I would strictly vote just for independent/foreign films, and let the other members pick the mainstream options. This category should not lose the ounce of diversity it has been good at keeping.

There is absolutely nothing that justifies this change, and animators should be outraged.

Well, “The Lego Movie” getting snubbed by the branch pissed a LOT of people off, though definitely not myself, so I wouldn’t say NOTHING.

I am afraid giving the entire membership the right to vote on the nominees for Animated Feature will lead to a lot safer, more mainstream choices. No more “The Tale of the Princess Kaguya” or “The Boy and The World” getting surprise noms, and more “Minions,” “Lego Batman Movie,” and “Kung Fu Panda 3” making the cut instead. Hopefully I’m wrong, but we’ll see. This could turn out to be a positive thing as well as a negative thing. I’m sure with the entire Academy deciding the Animated Feature categories nominees, “The Lego Movie” would not have been snubbed. But would the underrated gem “The Tale of the Princess Kaguya” have been left out for it?

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

If this was announced last year, I would not really be all that angry because I feel that last year was one of the strongest years for feature animation ever and even the snubs for the foreign releases as bad as they would be, could’ve been salvaged by cool mainstream choices like Kung Fu Panda 3 or Sing, both movies that I enjoyed. Just as long as they didn’t nominate Norm of the North, then I think I would give up the Academy forever.

This year however, it’s a different story. Because at least for right now, it is a profoundly weaker year with some really slim choices that I felt a foreign release could’ve (and by all accounts would’ve) won with The Breadwinner or something else completely, but that news has me worried for it. I am also worried that they will nominate something kinda ridiculous like The Boss Baby or God forbid The Nut Job 2. That will be the biggest WTF moment in Oscar history.

I will say that this may mean that for the first time in like seven or eight years, we have an Academy Awards that only nominates three films this year instead of five for Animated Feature, which I think would be a lot smarter because of the weaker field this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I will say that this may mean that for the first time in like seven or eight years, we have an Academy Awards that only nominates three films this year instead of five for Animated Feature, which I think would be a lot smarter because of the weaker field this year.

You keep insisting it’s a weak year, but it’s way too early to say that

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

You keep insisting it’s a weak year, but it’s way too early to say that

Comparing the outlook for this year to the outlook this time last year, it is a lot weaker right now at the moment. Maybe that will change – but only if more foreign/GKIDS films come out and wow. Major studio animations look (on the whole) disappointing.

Coco has now got to be a heavy frontrunner with thee slight voting changes, right?

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

we’ll have to wait and see if the quality goes down. Lego Batman had good reviews, 75 Metascore. Would be a legitimate nominee regardless.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nathan Romberg
    Participant
    Topics:

You know… I was thinking the same thing myself. This year is incredibly weak… 2018 and 2019 look like they’ll be pretty strong years though. #JustGivetheHTTYDFranchiseItsOscarAlready

I'm that dork who runs romviews.weebly.com all by himself... and i'm also a HTTYD loving Titaniac and Zootopian who is into auto racing, the Olympics and film.

Thanks for nothing, you useless reptile...

BABY DRIVER

For your OSCAR consideration...

Best Picture- Nira Park, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner (producers)
    Best Director- Edgar Wright
    Best Original Screenplay- Edgar Wright
    Best Film Editing
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Sound Mixing
    Best Cinematography

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

It is weak this year because this time last year there were several choices that could’ve been viable nominees. Kubo, Zootopia, Little Prince, Moana, Dory, Red Turtle, Your Name., Zucchini. I even considered it to be one of the strongest years that feature animation has ever had.

This year we have Coco, possibly LEGO Batman, possibly Breadwinner but the new rules may have that one sunk. I also had difficulty coming up with five nominees this year and honestly think it’ll be a three nominee year if everything is routine. I am always willing to be surprised though and who knows what will happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

this is reminding me of the 2006 year lineup, where happy feet won with only 3 nominees when Paprika wasnt even nominated and it shouldve won….

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

If a three nominees year save us from shit being nominated then so be it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anisa Mohamed
    Participant
    Topics:

I sure hope Cars 3 walks away with something, it’s kind of sad that the original lost out to Happy Feet. (Which was kind of a shock cause imo Happy Feet was a little slow) GKIDS better win something this year, as they are releasing the Breadwinner. (This movie easily looks to be a contender) And Batman cause again the original lost out on so many missed opportunities in award season. Everything else, including Coco, looks meh. A surprise or two might come but in the long run, 2016 was definitely a better year for animation than 2017.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

I sure hope Cars 3 walks away with something, it’s kind of sad that the original lost out to Happy Feet. (Which was kind of a shock cause imo Happy Feet was a little slow) GKIDS better win something this year, as they are releasing the Breadwinner. (This movie easily looks to be a contender) And Batman cause again the original lost out on so many missed opportunities in award season. Everything else, including Coco, looks meh. A surprise or two might come but in the long run, 2016 was definitely a better year for animation than 2017.

I don’t even need to see Cars 3 but I would rather have Boss Baby being nominated than that franchise that won’t die especially after Cars 2

ReplyCopy URL
    Anisa Mohamed
    Participant
    Topics:

WOW, but than again if cars 3 is in the same position as finding dory/kung fu panda 3 last year, than boss baby might have a better shot only due to the fact that it is an ORIGINAL. (I have seen boss baby and it was definitely not as good as everyone hyped it to be:/)

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

WOW, but than again if cars 3 is in the same position as finding dory/kung fu panda 3 last year, than boss baby might have a better shot only due to the fact that it is an ORIGINAL. (I have seen boss baby and it was definitely not as good as everyone hyped it to be:/)

I wouldn’t be surprised they nominate Boss Baby so Alec Baldwin shows up and he is well loved in Hollywood (more so in the TV side but hey they overlap) I despise Cars and Finding Nemo and their sequels so I wouldn’t miss them.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.