Home Forums Movies Best Animated Feature (2017)

Best Animated Feature (2017)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

just cuz the animated features from the US may suck this year, doesnt mean there arent any international animated features that are worthy of recognition and/or a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

just cuz the animated features from the US may suck this year, doesnt mean there arent any international animated features that are worthy of recognition and/or a win.

I agree with that but I think in general that this category shouldn’t exist because only the best movies should be competing for Oscars. Not the best animated films, but the best films in general. If one of the best films of the year are animated, than great, it should be nominated for best picture, but in general the animation category annoys me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with that but I think in general that this category shouldn’t exist because only the best movies should be competing for Oscars. Not the best animated films, but the best films in general. If one of the best films of the year are animated, than great, it should be nominated for best picture, but in general the animation category annoys me.

You could say the same thing with the Best Foreign Films/ Best Documentary Features as well but as we both know, they will not be recognized at all if it happens. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Beauty and the Beasts were the rare anomalies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

You could say the same thing with the Best Foreign Films/ Best Documentary Features as well but as we both know, they will not be recognized at all if it happens. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Beauty and the Beasts were the rare anomalies.

I do say the same thing. And just because they aren’t recognized regularly doesn’t mean they should have their own category. While we’re in your mentality lets go ahead and add categories for voice over and motioncap and fucking animal training. Fuck no. All of the prestige is taken out of the picture when shit is nominated for best of something.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I do see where you all are coming from, but as an animation fan, I feel that any acknowledgement of terrific animated movies is better than none at all. Abolishing the category would actually be worse because otherwise great movies will not get their due. After all, even the shaggiest of dogs should get their day.

I agree with you but at the same time the Oscars are for the best movies. Not the best animated movies, but the best movies. An animated movie should be treated as a movie and nothing less. I know its sad when animation isn’t recognized, but it shouldn’t get special treatment. And honestly, I feel that the animated category hurts the chances of animation breaking into best picture. Why nominate for best picture when you can give it a win for best animated?

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

And honestly, I feel that the animated category hurts the chances of animation breaking into best picture. Why nominate for best picture when you can give it a win for best animated?

Bias against nearly anything that’s not dramatic material being considered Best Picture material as a nominee, much less a winner, hurts animation’s chances before giving it an extra category to compete in hurts its chances. I don’t see what’s wrong with exploiting a handicap to get more exposure in a category already so disrespected that some voters don’t even bother seeing the films and just give a lazy Disney/Pixar vote. The animation ghetto exists for a reason, why would fusty voters take an animated movie seriously when it’s competing against biopic and drama heavyweights?

I think it’d be a myopic shame to deny more films a chance to have exposure for this line of reasoning in the same vein that it’d be a myopic shame to get rid of supporting categories or do gender neutral acting categories. You don’t need to add inane categories but getting rid of categories just makes for a more boring show. Oh wow, let’s see Heavyweight Nominee vs. Dark Horse Contender, again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

What are you talking about?! I saw the Captain Underpants movie in theaters 3 times this year!!! That’s the most times I have ever seen any movie in a theater ever!* It should WIN the Oscar for Animated Feature, but unfortunately won’t because of SNOBS who are like Melvin are like “I don’t get it. Why is that funny?” The Lego Batman Movie was easily better than the first Lego Movie, in my opinion.

Also, The Breadwinner looks like it could be great.

*Tied with The Simpsons Movie

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

And honestly, I feel that the animated category hurts the chances of animation breaking into best picture. Why nominate for best picture when you can give it a win for best animated?

Bias against nearly anything that’s not dramatic material being considered Best Picture material as a nominee, much less a winner, hurts animation’s chances before giving it an extra category to compete in hurts its chances. I don’t see what’s wrong with exploiting a handicap to get more exposure in a category already so disrespected that some voters don’t even bother seeing the films and just give a lazy Disney/Pixar vote. The animation ghetto exists for a reason, why would fusty voters take an animated movie seriously when it’s competing against biopic and drama heavyweights?

I think it’d be a myopic shame to deny more films a chance to have exposure for this line of reasoning in the same vein that it’d be a myopic shame to get rid of supporting categories or do gender neutral acting categories. You don’t need to add inane categories but getting rid of categories just makes for a more boring show. Oh wow, let’s see Heavyweight Nominee vs. Dark Horse Contender, again.

PREACH! 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

What are you talking about?! I saw the Captain Underpants movie in theaters 3 times this year!!! That’s the most times I have ever seen any movie in a theater ever!* It should WIN the Oscar for Animated Feature, but unfortunately won’t because of SNOBS who are like Melvin are like “I don’t get it. Why is that funny?” The Lego Batman Movie was easily better than the first Lego Movie, in my opinion. Also, The Breadwinner looks like it could be great. *Tied with The Simpsons Movie

what the fuck are you talking about? im only commenting on what previous posts were saying about the competition being sucky this year. Captain Underpants suck and I didn’t see it but I believe every bad thing i hear ;).

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

It sucks that the Oscars don’t nominate animation more but I believe that an animated film should be given the same merit as a regular film. And if the voters don’t nominate them, that sucks, but I am still against its own category. The Oscars are changing, give them some credit. This is coming from a person who almost always has at least one animated film in my personal line up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

wasn’t the original purpose of this category because people treat animated films as a joke and just for kids, while its been a proven box office success and multiple animated movies started becoming serious contender in other categories, fuck they ruled the 90’s best song category and couple winning the scores.

and you know what fuck u superhero/genre fans who wet yourselves and preach its worthy of BP nominations because “DID U GUYS SEE THE ROTTEN TOMATO SCORE AND BOX OFFICE, UHHHH ITS SO COOL” yet when it comes to animated features, y’all are MIA and nowhere to be found. I definitely dont remember any of u guys being enthusiastic for Zootopia to get a BP nomination last year but were like BUT JACKIE/DEADPOOL COULDVE BEEN the 10th spot Y DIDNT OSCARS NOMINATE IT.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s really great that you believe that but until there are legitimate and consistent signs that animated films are treated the respect they deserve, which really has not happened yet outside of the uncommon, low-chance Disney/Pixar film making it into an expanded BP consideration, there is really no point in denying animated films a chance to get deserved recognition. Nor can I reconcile being a film fan and wanting to see fewer quality films compete, I mean come on, why punish a whole category because we’ve seen a couple of bad apples in the US? Is the US the only good metric for animated film quality?

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

Also in response to the actual thread, the Loving Vincent trailer looked fucking amazing the moment I saw it and I hope it does well because I can’t wait for it to be the worthy nominee that loses to a lazy Disney vote. (Not that doing away with the category will fix this bias)

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

wasn’t the original purpose of this category because people treat animated films as a joke and just for kids, while its been a proven box office success and multiple animated movies started becoming serious contender in other categories, fuck they ruled the 90’s best song category and couple winning the scores. and you know what fuck u superhero/genre fans who wet yourselves and preach its worthy of BP nominations because “DID U GUYS SEE THE ROTTEN TOMATO SCORE AND BOX OFFICE, UHHHH ITS SO COOL” yet when it comes to animated features, y’all are MIA and nowhere to be found. I definitely dont remember any of u guys being enthusiastic for Zootopia to get a BP nomination last year but were like BUT JACKIE/DEADPOOL COULDVE BEEN the 10th spot Y DIDNT OSCARS NOMINATE IT.

Am I campaigning for a best superhero category? Fuck no. I believe that the best films should me nominated. And if some of those films happen to be animated and they are snubbed, than blame the academy, but they shouldn’t be competing by themselves.

I am a big Logan fan, but I am definatley not obsessed with superheros in gerneral. I though Wonder WOman was decent but I wouldn’t nomiante it for best picture. Not a single superhero movie made my lineup last year, not even Deadpool. Yet I included Zootopia. My lineup last year was: Moonlight, Captain Fantastic, Arrival, Zootopia, Nocturnal Animal, La La Land, Lion, The Jungle Book, Hidden Figures, and Hell or High Water.

In 2015 I was pissed that Inside Out didn’t get a best picture nomination.

I have ranted several times on the forums about people who say box office should be important to Oscar consideration.

I often take critic reaction into consideration but I never go with Rotten Tomatoes, If anything I go withmetacritic.

And it sucks that animation will never get respect that it deserves but I still stand my opinionm that it should be treated like the other movies and not be in its own category. (FYI I am also for combining gender categories).

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

By the logic you have, they should just abolish half the categories after a certain year gets a “weak” field. I mean Supporting Actor 2014 was weak as hell, but they should not veto that category. It was just a bad year. Not every year can be gold in every category. Same with Animation. Last year was IMO one of the strongest years for animation we ever had, and I feel like maybe next year will be equally as strong. It just goes in cycles.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.