Home Forums Movies Best Animated Feature (2017)

Best Animated Feature (2017)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m also all aboard the Loving Vincent train. I’d honestly nominate the trailer alone above Cars 3.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

http://www.thewrap.com/breadwinner-toronto-review-vibrant-animated-movie-may-force-oscar-attention/

Looks like The Breadwinner is pulling ahead!

I’m booked up to watch it at the London Film Festival. My fingers are tightly crossed!

ReplyCopy URL
    Ruby Sparks
    Participant
    Topics:

Breadwinner made its US premiere at the ANIMATION IS FILM festival in LA last night. I wasn’t there but I heard from some friends that there was a huge standing ovation, and that it could very well take home the gold this year, depending on Coco’s reviews.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Coco currently has an 80 on metacritic with 4 reviews: a 100, 90, 80, and 60. What a range! I’ll be interested to see where it settles.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Well folks here and the 26 choices vying for the Best Animated Feature race.

“The Big Bad Fox & Other Tales”
    “Birdboy: The Forgotten Children”
    “The Boss Baby”
    “The Breadwinner”
    “Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie”
    “Cars 3”
    “Cinderella the Cat”
    “Coco”
    “Despicable Me 3”
    “The Emoji Movie”
    “Ethel & Ernest”
    “Ferdinand”
    “The Girl without Hands”
    “In This Corner of the World”
    “The Lego Batman Movie”
    “The Lego Ninjago Movie”
    “Loving Vincent”
    “Mary and the Witch’s Flower”
    “Moomins and the Winter Wonderland”
    “My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea”
    “Napping Princess”
    “A Silent Voice”
    “Smurfs: The Lost Village”
    “The Star”
    “Sword Art Online: The Movie – Ordinal Scale”
    “Window Horses The Poetic Persian Epiphany of Rosie Ming”

ReplyCopy URL
    4getregret
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be honest. All Coco needs to do is place at or above mid-70’s on the Tomatometer in order to win Best Animated Feature. The voters have proven time and time again: they just don’t care about this category. They’ll see Pixar, note that people like it, tick the box, and move on to “the more important categories”.

The only interesting part about this category is the nominees. But what used to be unpredictable might change with the entire voting body being allowed to nominate for Best Animated Feature this year. In years past, I would currently be predicting:

The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales
    The Breadwinner
    Coco
    The Lego Batman Movie
    Loving Vincent

With Mary and the Witch’s Flower, In This Corner of the World, Birdboy, and The Girl Without Hands also in the running. This year is packed with imaginative and daring new animation from all across the globe.

But with the nomination changes? Who knows? I wouldn’t be surprised if Despicable Me 3 made the cut.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Now that Coco is the highest grossing film of all time in Mexico, I can’t see Disney losing it’s grip in Animated Film to even the most innovative of nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

But with the nomination changes? Who knows? I wouldn’t be surprised if Despicable Me 3 made the cut.

Or CARS 3.

The truth is that this year might show what a phenomenally bad idea this rule change is. What are the odds that the average Academy voter sees more than 3 new animated features each year? And when they do, it’ll almost always be the mainstream choices. How much effort will they put into seeing contenders that only have relevance in this category, when they have a ton of catching up to do in the other fields (particularly Picture) in which they can vote? Maybe the final list will surprise us (in a good way), but I’m not optimistic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ruby Sparks
    Participant
    Topics:

Now that Coco is the highest grossing film of all time in Mexico, I can’t see Disney losing it’s grip in Animated Film to even the most innovative of nominees.

I don’t know. Everyone’s been telling me that THE BREADWINNER is sensational. It’s opening NY/LA this weekend so we’ll likely see more responses soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know. Everyone’s been telling me that THE BREADWINNER is sensational. It’s opening NY/LA this weekend so we’ll likely see more responses soon.

The last time Disney/Pixar lost a race in this category was over a decade ago, and that was with the universally underwhelming CARS. This is a tribute to the quality of their work but also a streak that is wholly undeserved given the exceptional quality of some of their competitors (all of whom were independent and/or made a small fraction of what the winner did at the box office).

I love good Pixar movies, but they’re not all *that* good. And while I’m hoping COCO is better than most, all it really has to be is just pretty good to be enough to win. It’s a juggernaut that’s turned into a virtual monopoly.

• This reply was modified 1 day, 13 hours ago by  Filmatelist.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.