Home Forums Movies Best Director 2012- How Was Bigelow Snubbed?

Best Director 2012- How Was Bigelow Snubbed?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Kathyrn’s Bigelow’s snub for this film has to be one of the worst ommisions the Oscars have ever had IMO.  Yes, the film’s script had it’s problems, but the film’s direction is incredible. Obviously, many assumed she’d get in and decided to vote for other contenders and the backlash against Zero Dark Thirty didn’t help, but I just don’t see that being the sole reason for Bigelow’s snub. It’s absolututely appalling.  

Anyway, his was a fairly open race given the snubs here- Both Bigelow and Afleck were snubbed in favor of Haneke and Zeitlin and O’Russel was able to get in(I personally wasn’t shocked by his nomination, even though it is more of an actors movie. They nominated Jason Reitman for Juno after all).  Most up to the Oscars, including me, thought Speilberg would get it, but support for Lincoln was weak and there was strong support in the technical branches for Life Of Pi. However, my honest opinion is that Lee won in order for the Oscars to apologize to him for the Brokeback loss. Everyone knew he was brokenhearted about it and the Academy got a lot of flack for Crash’s win and is still getting it 10 years later.  I think Speilberg could have won if  Brokeback had triumphed for Best Picture.  What did you think of the race at the time? What are your theories about the Bigelow snub? 

Anonymous
    Topics:

I think Affleck was a bigger snub. But yes, neither Michael H. or Ben Z. deserved to make it over Ben A. and Bigelow!

Miss Bigelow is my personal winner!

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

That was an insane morning.

I think one of the reasons simply is because the director’s branch is smaller, and known to be a snooty bunch. Bigelow was noted to be covering “similar territory” as she did in Hurt Locker, and there was that unnecessary backlash against Zero Dark Thirty that was peaking just as ballots were going out. 

I think Ben Z’s nod was completely out of left field. I think it’s more common for a foreign film director to make the cut, and also Haneke had been around for some time, making other unusual but compelling films. But Z’s was WTF to the highest order. I can only think passion got him in, and that perhaps voters felt Affleck and Bigelow were safe. Don’t forget there was also talk that Tom Hooper would manage to make the cut for Les Miserables and thankfully- that didn’t happen.  

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually don’t mind either Haneke’s or Zeitlin’s nominations, but the Bigelow snub is ridiculous.  I think O’Russell should have been passed over for her as well as Ang Lee in the overrated Life Of Pi.   I despise Argo, so Afleck’s snub doesn’t anger me from a certain point of view, but it obviously triggered a large sympathy factor for the film that improved it’s chances.  I doubt it would have won SAG for instance or at the BAFTA’s if Afleck had gotten in. Would it still have won? Hard to say, but it’s win is awful.  Well, that year was fantastic for films so I don’t mind and all the acting winners are fairly strong, although I really wish Sally Field had won for Lincoln instead.  She was so great in the film. It does make me mad that Lincoln got shafted so horribly that year for such a mediocre film like Argo. 

As for Hooper, his snub is not surprising given the love for Silver Linings as well as the fact that they do nominate directors like Hanake (I.E Fernando  Meirilles in City Of God, Julian Schanbel for The Diving Bell And The Butterfly). It was definitely surprise love for Beasts that put Zeitlin over the top. Les Mis was never destined to be that loved by the Oscars anyway, despite it’s Best Picture nomination. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

What made Argo‘s win worse was that voters then felt obliged to “throw it the Screenplay award” to validate it winning something else major. The script was certainly fresh, but it wasn’t nearly as deserving or poetic as Tony Kushner’s brilliant Lincoln, which was unfairly passed over so Affleck’s movie got props. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t even get me started on that Screenplay win- UGH. You can tell I’m still bitter about this year, ha ha. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

@JoeBurns: I’m with you with the bitterness. When the WGA went with Argo, I was done.

Speaking of Zero Dark Thirty, I was certain Jessica Chastain was going to win Best Actress after her Golden Globe (Drama) and BFCA prizes. I think Lawrence got swept up with the love of her movie and when she won the SAG, it was considered a race. THEN Emmanuelle Riva won BAFTA, and suddenly it was a three-way race even though some refuse to think Riva had a chance (I’m someone who was on the Riva train). But I remember how much I was rooting for Chastain earlier in the season. Had Chastain/Riva won and Lawrence lost though, we can easily assume she would then have prevailed for American Hustle as a makeup prize.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I hate the fact that Jessica Chastain doesn’t have an Oscar. I hope she wins someday. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I was on the Riva train too and we sadly crashed and burned in the homestretch, lol.  It honestly was just wishful thinking. I thought Riva could pull it off after her BAFTA win as well as Amour’s support, but her performance was probably too subtle and Helen Mirren’s win aside, the Oscars don’t love old gals  in the Best Actress category and neither do they love foreign-language performances. Given that she’s European, she had a clear edge at BAFTA. The SAG  was clearly the deciding factor in the race. If Chastain had prevailed, she most likely would have won. Lawrence was indeed the it girl of the moment in a film the Oscars fell head over heels for and the Bigelow snub (As well as the continuing controversy)put a large dent in Zero Dark Thirty’s Oscar prospects.  Not to mention that Chastain’s performance is very subtle besides a few showy scenes at the end. I still think she would have won though if SAG had gone for her. She most likely was very close there.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I hate the fact that Jessica Chastain doesn’t have an Oscar. I hope she wins someday. 

She’s someone who will most likely win the next 10 years. I personally thought she was very good in Zero Dark Thirty- Not deserving of a win given that her character is so problematic(Why couldn’t they just make up a backstory for her and give her some more things to do? LOL), but her nomination is fine). Riva and Lawrence were fantastic. I’d say Lawrence derserved it that year. She’s good, but annoying in The Help, although that’s really the point of the character. Was she good in A Most Violent Year? I missed that film last year.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I loved Chastain in everything so far, but she didn’t make my personal cut last year. “A Most Violent Year” is a very fine film, but imho it’s not that Oscar-worthy. Of course Chastain is easily better than eventual winner Patty Arquette, but that’s not a big deal, so.

I had Knightley, Rivas (“Wild Tales”), Swinton, Connelly (“Noah”), and Te Wiata (“Housebound”) in my personal lineup.

My rankings of Chastain’s performances…

1. Zero Dark Thirty
    2. The Help
    3. The Debt
    4. Miss Julie
    5. A Most Violent Year
    6. Interstellar
    7. Crimson Peak
    8. Take Shelter
    9. Mama
    10. The Tree of Life
    11. The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby Films
    12. The Martian
    13. Texas Killing Fields

ReplyCopy URL
    Monty
    Participant
    Topics:

We have similar taste in term of actresses. My favourite actresses working nowadays are Blanchett, Winslet and Chastain. I think Chastain is talented, beautiful, fearless, funny and good at giving speech. I really want to see her win an Oscar. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s a no-brainer for me. Take out O’Russell and put in Bigelow. I wouldn’t take out any if the others, and Affleck would be the inky other one I would really consider. It was a really competitive year, and it’s a bit of a shame it didn’t go quite as it should have.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well I hate to crash this love party but I have no problems with Bigelow’s so-called “snub”.

And I detest Argo and the good-looking guy who ‘directed’ it.

Lol. Too bad. Made me very happy and made me laugh, back then, and now.

Lolol.

Of the two films in question, ….both of them are ridiculous. Tie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I think both films (“Argo” and “Zero Dark Thirty”) were among the best films that year. Worthy direction, great acting and outstanding scripts in both!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.