Home Forums Movies Best Director 2014

Best Director 2014

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
seabel
TomHardys
FreemanGriffin
  • BrokenFan
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure there was a thread for this but I can’t seem to find it. 

Bennett Miller – Foxcatcher
    Morten Tyldem – The Imitation Game
    Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu – Birdman
    Ava DuVernay – Selma
    Paul Thomas Anderson – Inherent Vice

Angelina Jolie – Unbroken
    Richard Linklater – Boyhood
    David Fincher – Gone Girl
    Chris Nolan – Interstellar 

Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:
    • Paul Thomas Anderson – Inherent Vice
    • David Fincher – Gone Girl
    • Angelina Jolie – Unbroken
    • Bennett Miller – Foxcatcher
    • Christopher Nolan – Interstellar

Possible upsets

• Wes Anderson – The Grand Budapest Hotel
    • J.C. Chandor – A Most Violent Year
    • Ava DuVernay – Selma
    • Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu – Birdman
    • Richard Linklater – Boyhood
    ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I would put Richard Linklater in the certain category; it’s too soon to tell on anyone else. Am I the only one who hated the Unbroken trailer?

Year after year I’ve seen the fallacy of trying to predict these nominations before November…..

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I really hope this is Fincher’s year for Gone Girl. He really deserves to win. And I hope Wes Anderson can get in there. He really deserves a directing nomination and what better time than his career best work. I would love if Tim Burton could do the same but I think he is a lost cause for the Director award. Same with Nolan. I hope he can get in but if he couldn’t get in for his last 3 movies, it’s an up hill battle for him. Here are some pros and cons for a lot of them 

Richard Linklater (Honor him for his dedication of a long project but only has been nominated for writing) 
    David Fincher (They love him yet Girl with the Dragon Tattoo couldn’t crack the 5 that year) 
    Bennett Miller (Won the Cannes Directing award and has had 2 nominations for Best Picture his last 2 films) 
    Wes Anderson (Only writing and animation nomination so they do embrace him but not for directing) 
    Christophen Nolan (Same minus animation)
    Angelina Jolie (They love her and this is her first American directing job) 
    Paul Thomas Anderson (they love him but not enough for The Master)
    Tim Burton (only 2 nominations for animation)
    Ridley Scott (Nominated alot but not since Black Hawk Down) 
    Rob Marshall (Nominated for Chicago but we have to see come December)
    J.C. Chandor (Beloved for All is Lost but still didn’t make the cut last year)  
    Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Nominated 4 times in Directing/Foreign) 

Those seem like the only real contenders right now but let’s see how the rest of the year plays out  

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Chris Nolan – Interstellar
    Richard Linklater  – Boyhood
    Ava Duvernay – Selma
    Morten Tyldum – The Imitation Game

Still think Inarratu gets in there somehow but dont know where to fit him in yet.  

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:
    • Inãrritu filmed the whole movie in one long trackshot only. The directing branch will SWOON over that specially if the film is as impressive as it looks. 
    • Jolie is one of the most powerful and respected artists in the industry. This being her first BIG directing accomplishment with a very compelling, baity story is a recipe for Oscar glory.
    • Bennett Miller only has two movies but he got nominated for both? Plus he won the Directing Award in Cannes and I’m sure Foxcatcher is gonna have tons of nominations, Director included.
    • The Academy won’t snub Nolan this time. The movie’s gravitas is just too big to ignore.
    • Torn between Fincher and Linklater but I think Linklater’s work requires more effort, patience and dedication. It’s a huge directing feat, I doubt it will be ignored.
    ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:
    • Inãrritu filmed the whole movie in one long trackshot only. The directing branch will SWOON over that specially if the film is as impressive as it looks. 
    • Jolie is one of the most powerful and respected artists in the industry. This being her first BIG directing accomplishment with a very compelling, baity story is a recipe for Oscar glory.
    • Bennett Miller only has two movies but he got nominated for both? Plus he won the Directing Award in Cannes and I’m sure Foxcatcher is gonna have tons of nominations, Director included.
    • The Academy won’t snub Nolan this time. The movie’s gravitas is just too big to ignore.
    • Torn between Fincher and Linklater but I think Linklater’s work requires more effort, patience and dedication. It’s a huge directing feat, I doubt it will be ignored.

I’m sorry that was a mistake. Both of his films were nominated for Best Picture (Capote, Moneyball) he only was nominated for Capote. Whoops I messed that up. 

And that’s what they said about Inception.  

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Except Nolan wasn’t really known for being snubbed for any of his films right? This is the first time we feel he’s overdue because he faced the Inception snub.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Oh please, it doesn’t mean he won’t be snubbed this time around. The man has 3 DGA mentions without a director nod. I mean obviously I don’t think the director branch feels that he’s overdue at all. 

Like, I think ‘Interstellar’ has to do ‘Gravity’ sort of numbers in order for Nolan to become a sure-fire nominee. So at this point, even David Fincher is more likely. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Birdman is going to be shot in one continuous take? Hmm… that just made me even more excited to see the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    All-Seeing Eye
    Participant
    Topics:

Miller is the only one I’m sure will make it in. Fincher seems more likely than Nolan, but Inartitu seems more likely than both. Jolie will be a question mark until November when the movie probably screens. I hold onto a small hope that the Academy will reward Anderson, but I’m certain it won’t be this year. Linklater will most likely get the art house slot.

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh please, it doesn’t mean he won’t be snubbed this time around. The man has 3 DGA mentions without a director nod. I mean obviously I don’t think the director branch feels that he’s overdue at all. 

Like, I think ‘Interstellar’ has to do ‘Gravity’ sort of numbers in order for Nolan to become a sure-fire nominee. So at this point, even David Fincher is more likely. 

That’s what I was trying to say mate… I don’t think he was seen as overdue when he was “snubbed” for an Inception nom. The thing is since he was snubbed for that movie, he’s way closer to the overdue status than he was before. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Nessie
    Topics:

I am surprised by some of the alleged frontrunners, but then again I never take a film seriously until it has actually been reviewed.

I think there are 3 locks for Best Director:

Richard Linklater (obviously)
    Bennett Miller
    Wes Anderson (I doubt if his film will get a best picture nomination, comedies usually don’t, but I think the directors’ branch will recognise him)

David Fincher and Angelina Jolie, in my opinion, have the same issue: their films’ source material is problematical. Gone Girl, even if you liked it (and I didn’t – in that genre Girl with a Dragon Tattoo is far better and Fincher didn’t get nominated for that). Unbroken, as I’ve said before, is impossible to reduce to a 2 hour film without making it look like a travelogue. The reviews for Angelina Jolie’s other film were middling and I don’t know about you, but this woman is overexposed to the point of becoming a Madonna-like nuisance! I feel a backlash coming on.

Christopher Nolan could be perceived as overdue. The trailer for Interstellar is certainly Spielbergesque which would appeal to the Academy and Matthew McConaughey has, up till now, managed to give very emotional performances without falling into the trap of sentimentality. Remains to be seen if he can maintain his equilibrium in the whole film as, apparently, he IS the whole film. A lot is riding on his performance. The special effects will be, no doubt, mind-blowing.

Birdman does sound interesting, but I’ll reserve judgment. Is it brilliant or is it a hot mess? Could be either.

Into the Woods – Rob Marshall’s track record is unimpressive: Nine, a Pirates of the Caribbean sequel, Memoirs of a Geisha. Underwhelming.

P.T. Anderson is probably the most likely of the bunch to add to my 3 locks, but Inherent Vice, once again, there are problems with the source material. Like Gone Girl, I just don’t see this as being “Oscar bait” in the least.

I’ll add in Jean-Marc Vallee, not getting a nomination last year when his film took 3 Oscars could be conceived as a snub – if Wild is good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Predicted Five
    Alejandro González Iñárritu – Birdman

Mike Leigh – Mr. Turner 
    Bennett Miller – Foxcatcher
    David Ayer – Fury 
    Ava DuVarnay – Selma 

Other top-tier Contenders  
    Richard Linklater – Boyhood
    Stephen Daldry – Trash
    Rob Marshall – Into the Woods
    J.C Chandor – A Most Violent Year  
    David Fincher – Gone Girl  

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Why are Wes Anderson and Linklater locks again? Please don’t tell me because they have the highest reviewed films of the year so far. Because you know, reviews = Oscars. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
Reply To: Best Director 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.