Home Forums Movies Best Director 2015

Best Director 2015

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

So, who is winning this one?  If Spotlight and The Big Short become BP frontrunners,  both McCarthy and McKay could benefit.  Alejandro could win, but the odds aren’t in his favor given he did just win 3 Oscars last year.  Miller could be this year’s Cuaron and a split does seem possible this year.  He’s my prediction right now.  What are your thoughts? 

Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

I just dont see McCarthy winning DGA and then Director. McKay same. They are some of unknown and their films are not big director-achievement. It can happen but i think its Inarritu’s to lose. Even Bookies are paying less for AGI than McCarthy, McKay and Miller.

Even Feinberg is betting on Inarritu: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards/predictions/oscars/2015/academy-awards-11416/

ReplyCopy URL
    Tony Ruiz
    Participant
    Topics:

IF it comes down to Miller vs. Inarritu, I give Miller the edge ONLY because Inarritu won last year.  But I wouldn’t mind if either one of them won.  It’s impossible for me to complain when Revenant and MM:FR were my two favorite films of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

1-George Miller
    2-Alejandro G. Iñarritu
    3- Tom McCarthy
    4-Adam McKay
    5-Lenny Abrahamson

Even if The Revenant or Spotlight win BP I expect Miller to win but Iñarritu is a close second. 

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

I think George Miller will win. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tonbone
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved The Big Short but I don’t see academy honoring a guy who made Will Ferrell comedies for 8+ years. So maybe McCarthy or George Miller but they do have a bias against action films like Mad Max

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, Academy members are already practicing how hard can they clap the Razzie King Stallone when he wins his Oscar at their home right now. They couldn’t care less about their nominees dark histories. It’s all about being the flavor of the month.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad Max missed BAFTA Film and Direction, so I am going with The Revenant.  It could also be The Big Short if it sweeps; that is the only other than The Revenant that has been nominated for directing by the Oscars, DGA and BAFTA.  The days of blindly ticking the Best Picture for Best Director seem to be over, so I doubt that Spotlight can win here even if it wins Best Picture.  The Big Short was flashy enough.  Glad that Room got a nomination, but the competition is fierce, so I cannot root for a win like the last time that an indie with a standout child performance got in.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

While I would love to see Miller take it, given how much he deserves it, I just have a hard time believing that the Academy would give it enough support. Innaritu just seems like the safe choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Miller since I think he takes DGA, but McKay could easily steal this from him

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

While I would love to see Miller take it, given how much he deserves it, I just have a hard time believing that the Academy would give it enough support. Innaritu just seems like the safe choice.

Ang Lee and Cuaron are the precedent for Miller (not exactly in terms of precursors, but of the type of winners they are. Bafta is intriguing, sure, but their most nominated film was Carol. In a crazy year like this, we should take everything with a grain of salt.)

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Tischeo”]

Ang Lee and Cuaron are the precedent for Miller (not exactly in terms of precursors, but of the type of winners they are. Bafta is intriguing, sure, but their most nominated film was Carol. In a crazy year like this, we should take everything with a grain of salt.)
    [/quote]

This. And it has been a ‘crazy’ year; something we hope for.

The Academy, appears to sometimes, have a heart. I am hoping, that they go with George Miller (and in a similar vein, Stallone for Supporting).

Besides, Miller deserves to win for that cinematic masterpiece and his personal endurance.

I also cant see it hurting their ratings should this happen. And that we know, has been an issue.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom McCarthy is going to win, and here is why. Let’s take a look at who makes up the academy: the actor’s branch is the largest branch. Ensemble nominations for The Big Short and Spotlight are really important in that regard. Non-actors will split their votes between Inarritu (who won last year) and Miller. (Their two films are evil and horrible and many voters understand this). The amount OF VIOLENCE WILL WORK AGAINST MM:FR and TR.

I would vote for Lenny Abrahamson but I think only maverick voters will choose him. Adam McKay could win if there are tons of liberals who are Bernie Sanders supporters. But I tink Mccarthy’s film will be the best loved and win BP. I would be thrilled with a win for McCarthy, McKay or Abrahamson!

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Weir
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom McCarthy is going to win, and here is why. Let’s take a look at who makes up the academy: the actor’s branch is the largest branch. Ensemble nominations for The Big Short and Spotlight are really important in that regard. Non-actors will split their votes between Inarritu (who won last year) and Miller. (Their two films are evil and horrible and many voters understand this). The amount OF VIOLENCE WILL WORK AGAINST MM:FR and TR.

I would vote for Lenny Abrahamson but I think only maverick voters will choose him. Adam McKay could win if there are tons of liberals who are Bernie Sanders supporters. But I tink Mccarthy’s film will be the best loved and win BP. I would be thrilled with a win for McCarthy, McKay or Abrahamson!

Your comments always make me laugh : )

The Revenant and Mad Max: Fury Road are evil, horrible films and the Academy have recognised this.

How many nominations is it that they have between them? ; )

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I would vote for Lenny Abrahamson if I were a voter. He beautifully manages to make the room itself feel spacious and claustrophobic at the same time. That takes serious skill from Abrahamson. The pure innocence in both lead performances also has some credit in him too, getting that raw vulnerability out of the two of them.

Tom McCarthy will win. Spotlight is winning Best Picture, and will get three on the night alongside Original Screenplay. It’s not the best work of the year – and for me isn’t in the top five of the year either. Still, it seems to be generally liked. It has the least going against it at this stage.

I don’t get McKay’s nomination. How the hell is The Big Short one of the best directed films of the year? Doesn’t even register in my top 10. He has a narrative of doing so many slapstick comedies and has now moved to more serious fare, but unless you’re an overdue veteran, that doesn’t stand for much in this category.

Inarritu would be a worthy winner, but I can’t see them going for the same director two years in a row.

I will accept that Miller pulled off a huge technical feat, but it is not worthy of a nomination. Have issues with the films place pretty much everywhere. May rewatch Mad Max to see if I understand it’s place in the race more, but it is doubtful.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
Reply To: Best Director 2015

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.