Home Forums Movies Best Film Editing 2016.

Best Film Editing 2016.

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Roney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

Looked it up and couldn’t find a thread for it.
    It’s one of the most fluid categories this year that it will probably end up being more about which movies they respond to more than which ones have a flashier editing come nomination morning and I feel like prediction center is somehow off about this category. BFCA isn’t very good at predicting this category but they have nominated; Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land*, Moonlight and Sully.

Most of the regional critic awards so far have gone to La La Land followed by Moonlight and Hacksaw.

• This topic was modified 11 months ago by  Roney Moore.
    • This topic was modified 11 months ago by  Roney Moore.
    AnDres Gtz
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen La La Land, but is the editing really that good to win?

Arrival is my opinion the best edited film I’ve seen this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    JB
    Participant
    Topics:

I think LaLa Land has this (deservedly) in the bag… Who else will contend?

My predix:
    Arrival
    Hacksaw Ridge
    La La Land
    Manchester by the Sea (I’m shakiest on this one)
    Moonlight

Next in line:
    Rogue One~ A Star Wars Story
    Lion
    Sully

ReplyCopy URL
    Roney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going with ; La La Land, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, Manchester By the Sea, Hell or High Water
    with Arrival being the closest alternative to the last one. This is one of the most middle-brow/male-driven branches in the Academy. So seeing Jackie or Silence would surprise me, though the latter still has a chance to rebound with BAFTA I guess. Sully will probably get ACE Eddie but miss here, and the reverse will happen to Manchester.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Roney Moore.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

I dislike the fact that the Academy doesn’t properly consider documentaries like Cameraperson, OJ and 13th. They should really consider other possibilities.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I dislike the fact that the Academy doesn’t properly consider documentaries like Cameraperson, OJ and 13th. They should really consider other possibilities.

They nominated Hoop Dreams back in 1994, even though it scandalously missed the Documentary shortlist. I think that was the only time they’ve ever nominated a documentary.

At the moment I’m predicting Thelma Schoonmaker to get a nomination for Silence. She missed for The Wolf of Wall Street but that was criticised by some for continuity errors and mismatched cuts. Her work in Silence has been commended by some reviewers, and long period epics usually get nominated here if they’re strong enough contenders across the board, so unless Silence underperforms with the guilds I’ll keep Schoonmaker in.

Manchester by the Sea has a flashback structure, which helps an intimate drama which might not otherwise register with this branch. That and the fact that it’s a bona fide Best Picture contender should see it get nominated here. I can imagine the branch doing something really annoying and snubbing Joe Walker for the ingeniously structured Arrival; so far he’s only ever been nominated when he had a BP frontrunner, and I’m thinking Arrival might miss some key categories on Oscar nomination morning.

My current predictions:
    Hacksaw Ridge
    La La Land
    Manchester by the Sea
    Moonlight
    Silence

ReplyCopy URL
    KaRol
    Participant
    Topics:

They nominated Hoop Dreams back in 1994, even though it scandalously missed the Documentary shortlist. I think that was the only time they’ve ever nominated a documentary.

Thelma Schoonmaker’s first Oscar nomination for Best Editing was for documentary feature – Woodstock 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Thelma Schoonmaker’s first Oscar nomination for Best Editing was for documentary feature – Woodstock

Ah yes, I should have remembered that! Cheers

ReplyCopy URL
    DCurrie
    Participant
    Topics:

My current predictions:
    Arrival
    La La Land
    Manchester by the Sea
    Moonlight
    Silence

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

La La Land, Moonlight and Manchester, with Silence, Lion and Arrival playing jump ball for the remaining two slots.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Most institutions don’t consider documentaries real movies including the general audience.

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Lion ain’t happening here lol

Arrival
    Hacksaw Ridge
    La la land
    Manchester
    Moonlight

With Hell or High Water next in line

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I love the editing category, even though it always lets me down. I think that the secret to predicting the Oscar nominees is to take the line-up from the precursors and then worsen it.

BAFTA nominated Skyfall and the Oscars replaced it with Lincoln. The Wolf of Wall Street hit all the precursors and was replaced by Dallas Buyers Club, which hit none. Rush won BAFTA. Nightcrawler was nominated by ACE and BAFTA. Drive got BAFTA and Critics’ Choice and was replaced by The Descendants, which was nominated at neither. Sicario got BAFTA last year and was snubbed for Spotlight, which did not get that or ACE.

We have only gotten the Critics’ Choice nominations so far, with BAFTA and ACE still to come. Critics’ Choice has never predicted all five nominees and did not even get four right when they only had four nominees. Sully seems vulnerable along the lines that it peaked too early, like The Martian from last year; it also might not be a passion-vote pick too. Arrival might also be in trouble because it seems like a more interesting nominee that is too cool for the academy, like Interstellar or Gone Girl from a couple years ago.

I similarly will not read too much into Hell or High Water or Nocturnal Animals getting nominated at BAFTA or ACE. Jackie seems to be past being a factor. Hard to get a read on Silence, but they snubbed The Wolf of Wall Street. Rogue One is a wild card because Star Wars‘ popularity among editors last year was unexpected.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

HoHW is in. What the hell are you guys talking about?!

Also, @riley: Rogue One has zero chance. It’s seen as a side dish, and the editing is less showy.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see Manchester by the Sea getting nominated. Hacksaw, HoHW, LLL, Moonlight, and either Arrival or Lion in that last slot makes sense.

I personally think the film Krisha easily features the best use of film editing that I’ve seen this year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.