Home Forums Movies Best Foreign Language Film for 2014

Best Foreign Language Film for 2014

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 248 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jake
seabel
Spartak
  • manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Obviously, this far out it can be really tough to gauge the films that’ll get submitted and ultimately selected to this category, but I’m just reaching out to see if there’s words on which films so far this year or on the horizon might be good submissions for their home countries. But, by this time last year, all the eventual nominees had been unveiled (The Great Beauty, The Missing Picture and Omar at Cannes, The Hunt at the Cannes before and The Broken Circle Breakdown in Berlin and Tribeca). 

The most high profile contender so far would obviously be Blue is the Warmest Color from France, which was released shortly after last year’s eligibility window (and without any outside Oscar nominations, becomes eligible for France to submit for this year). It worked pretty well for The Hunt last year but there was sort of an unshakeable sense of “been there done that” by the time it lost to Italy. There’s also the question of how the Academy branch would respond to its length and sexual content. But I mean, if Dogtooth could get nominated (though I feel like the executive committee might decide to champion a more obscure contender, like I think they probably did with The Missing Picture last year). 

The other big contender, and I think probably a safer bet, is Poland’s Ida. It’s one of the best reviewed releases of the year so far and I think it’s been doing pretty solid limited release box office.  

The Israeli film Zero Motivation was the big winner at Tribeca this year, though I’m not sure how the tone works. But Israel tends to be pretty good and recent movies like TBCB and War Witch were able to start their traction with Tribeca prizes. 

On paper, Zhang Yimou’s Coming Home seems like a solid contender for China, but if I remember correctly the critical response was less great than it should have been out of Cannes. They also have Berlinale winner Black Coal, Thin Ice but it seems a tad dark. 
    I wonder if their neighbor Japan might also consider submitting The Tale of Princess Kaguya which might also be a fixture in the Animated category this year, but I’m not sure that would get nominated.

I think out of Cannes (besides Blue of course) some better options include Mommy for Canada, The Wonders for Italy and Critics Week winner The Tribe for Ukraine. I figure Leviathan is too subversive for Russia to want to submit, and the other more celebrated films of the festival seem a little too outré to make it very far (including Winter Sleep). 

Any other contenders we should keep an eye out for? 

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Blue is the Warmest Color really going to be submitted?  What else does France have coming out?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m thrilled to read “Ida” is doing well box office wise. I sincerely hope our Polish national committee won’t think twice about submitting it.

You beat me up this year with this thread. For the last 2-3 years I started BFLF predictions. But it’s all good, of course. 

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

omg I’m sorry! I’m just a n00b, I have no idea of proper protocol around here lol. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

^^ Yep! Next time you’ll know!

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Personally I’m rooting for Mommy.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Probablly being too optomistic but I hope one of the countries that hasn’t won this catagory wins this one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

Canada – Mommy – They usually play it safe but this has went with such acclaim at Cannes it seems to have a good chance. 
    Turkey – Winter Sleep – Goes without saying. Best Film at Cannes.
    Poland/UK – Ida – This may be able to be submitted by the UK or Poland. They will need to fight this one out but whoever comes out submits this has a good chance of not only a nomination but a wind. Poland would be the more likely candidate as the UK release may not be until after the cut off date.
    Belgium – Two Days, One Night – It may not have won anything at Cannes but it got solid reviews and is probably the countries highest profile French spoen film this year (last year was the turn of the Flemish).
    Morocco – Rock the Casbah – Sure it’s overloaded but it’s such good fun and it features Omar Sharif to boot.
    India – The Lunchbox – A modest US box hit won’t harm this films chances for consideration.
    Brazil – Casa Grande – Similar to Neighbouring Sounds but nowhere nearly as skilfully executed. The sort of film that gets selected by never makes the final 9.
    Ethiopia – Defret – Angelina Jolie is one of the produces of this and will no doubt bring it the attention it will need.
    Bosnia – For Those Who Can Tell No Tales – A friend of mine has been raving about this and given the quality of the dirtectors earlier work this should be given some serious consideration.
    Italy – Human Capital – Italy seems a but quiet this year but this was an effective enough drama. One of those that tell the same story over several times from different characters points of view. Would make a respectable entry.
    Austria – Macondo – A Rather timely film about misplaced people and a young boy grappling with his new role of head of the house. Nicely made, though doesn’t add up to anything of substance.
    Iceland – Of Horses and Men – The film from Iceland has a lot of people talking so it could find it’s way to this list in a few months.
    Greece – Miss Violence – Well if Dogtooth can score a nomination then there is no reason that this insest drama can’t make the cut as well.
    Sweden – We Are The Best – Maybe it’s about time that the enfant terrible of Swedish cinema be given a go with his latest. BY all accounts it’s very good.
    Australia – Charlie’s Country – Some of the dialogue is not in English but how much I don’t know. This will determine whether this is submitted or not.

Of the above films I have seen Ida, Winter Sleep, Mommy, Rock the Casbah, Miss Violence, Defret, Human Capital, Macondo, Casa Grande and Two Days, One Night.

Based on on the above I would give it to Ida hands down. Winter Sleep would make a very respectable winner. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Poland/UK – Ida – This may be able to be submitted by the UK or Poland. They will need to fight this one out but whoever comes out submits this has a good chance of not only a nomination but a wind. Poland would be the more likely candidate as the UK release may not be until after the cut off date.

Why UK? The other country to participate in the making of “Ida” was Denmark. The whole cast and almost entire crew was Polish, including director and co-writer. The only spoken language was Polish. It takes place in Poland and relates to our history. I can’t see any other country submitting this film and getting away with it.

So glad you liked it though. Beautiful movie. 

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks for that rundown! I compeletely forgot about We Are the Best! I can definitely see that in the conversation. Sadly, The Lunchbox was passed over for India’s submission last year when it was eligible (inexplicable to this day) while Of Horses and Men was Iceland’s unsuccessful submission last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

Thanks for the pickups of The Lunchbow & Of Horese and Men.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

[quote=”AuntPeg”]

Why UK? The other country to participate in the making of “Ida” was Denmark. The whole cast and almost entire crew was Polish, including director and co-writer. The only spoken language was Polish. It takes place in Poland and relates to our history. I can’t see any other country submitting this film and getting away with it.

So glad you liked it though. Beautiful movie. [/quote]

The only reason I mentoned the UK is the director Pawel Pawlikowski had made a number of films in the UK which leads to suspect is the UK based.

Could be a similar situtation where Amour was made and set in France but was Austria’s submission for a number of reasons (funding, director).

I don’t know what makes a film qualify for consideration but given some of the submission in the past Ida may be able to qualify. I’m inclined to go with Poland. 

ReplyCopy URL
    marcelo
    Participant
    Topics:

Aunt Peg, what do you think about “Wild Tales” from Argentina?

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

I’m not fimiliar with it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

I’m not fimiliar with it. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 248 total)
Reply To: Best Foreign Language Film for 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.