Home Forums Movies Best in Show #14: The Counselor (2013)

Best in Show #14: The Counselor (2013)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • BrokenFan
    Topics:

Anne Hathaway dispels all the Hathahate and wins our last Best in Show poll in a landslide for her Oscar winning role as Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises.

lol You all know this day was coming.  We’ll take a look at another stunning cast to have come across in our recent memories, The Counselor. As a staunch defender of this vehemently hated film, I’m preparing myself. 

I expect absolutely nothing from this poll, but you all have 2 days. 

————-
    Best in Show #1: Meryl Streep – August Osage County 
    Best in Show #2: Mark Wahlberg – I Heart Huckabees 
    Best in Show #3: Sandra Bullock – Crash 
    Best in Show #4: Kim Basinger – L.A. Confidential  
    Best in Show #5: Jack Lemmon – Glengarry Glen Ross 
    Best in Show #6: Amy Adams – American Hustle 
    Best in Show #7: Hugh Jackman – Prisoners   
    Best in Show #8: Peter Finch – Network 
    Best in Show #9: Toni Collette – Little Miss Sunshine  
    Best in Show #10: Julianne Moore – Boogie Nights  
    Best in Show #11: Mark Ruffalo – The Avengers 
    Best in Show #12: Samuel L. Jackson – Pulp Fiction 

Best in Show #13: Anne Hathaway – The Dark Knight Rises

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

O geez…..

I guess I’ll go with Brad Pitt, because the way his character exits the film is symbolic, so symbolic of the way I felt watching the movie.

But Diaz was ok; she’s so darned serious and all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Bias aside I truly think Cameron Diaz was absolutely terrific and stole the movie for me. But I do not expect to see her winning this poll HERE. I actually expect Fassbender to win even though he was the worst from the main cast. I know GD posters have a big hard-on for him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Fishbiscuit
    Participant
    Topics:

Absolutely no one!!!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Bias aside I truly think Cameron Diaz was absolutely terrific and stole the movie for me. But I do not expect to see her winning this poll HERE. I actually expect Fassbender to win even though he was the worst from the main cast. I know GD posters have a big hard-on for him.

She’s actually ok in this. She was really committed to that character but didnt have that huge crying jag afforded others.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

Cameron Diaz because the only time the film get’s remotely interesting is when she’s on screen.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

lmao at Cameron Diaz winning. and she should. I thought she was just great as Malkina, from the steely, vacant gaze, the car sex (rather, sex with the car), right down to the last crooked spot of that cheetah-print tattoo. Just marvelous. Her character was supposed to be a twisted version of sociopathic and manipulative femme fetale. So naturally I would have expected her to play ‘crazy’, but she had a quiet control through out the whole film that I found to be so chilling and unexpected from her. 

Like, this film had operatic death scene, long, brooding and delicious dialogue, a tragedy in the Shakespearian fashion, as well as great great pacing and direction from Ridley Scott (who is a very inconsistant director). I just loved it. I really wish they released the extended director’s cut on DVD instead of BluRay cuz ain’t nobody have no bluray player no how. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KevinFelson
    Topics:

No one. Everybody awful! 

ReplyCopy URL
    K-Hole
    Participant
    Topics:

Seriously, scraping the bottom of the barrel so soon?

It’s like voting for who’s best in an Adam Sandler movie!

Ridley Scott used to make great movies, but that was many years ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Seriously, scraping the bottom of the barrel so soon?

It happens…

Who was best in show in Punch Drunk Love?

True, but he’s never lost his ability to put together a team that makes good technical craft. Still, this is a guy who started out with so much promise, and is now going out with a whimper. Hmmm, maybe things can change. Always the hopeless optimist.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

lol Maybe you should change your name from K-Hole to A-hole. Jusssss kidddin’

The Counselor is not everyone’s cup of tea (Obviously) and I love the fact that it makes people riled up for some strange reason. Ridley Scott’s films aren’t always hits but they’re always very well-made, and that’s a talent by in it of itself.  

ReplyCopy URL
    K-Hole
    Participant
    Topics:

lol Maybe you should change your name from K-Hole to A-hole. Jusssss kidddin’

The Counselor is not everyone’s cup of tea (Obviously) and I love the fact that it makes people riled up for some strange reason. Ridley Scott’s films aren’t always hits but they’re always very well-made, and that’s a talent by in it of itself.  

So, the old razzle-dazzle, eh? (I think the NYTImes referred to it as Ridley Scott’s “ravishing visual style.”) Sorry, not good enough. All the pretty wrapping paper and bows in the world can’t cover up the stink of the turd inside that gift box!

ReplyCopy URL
    K-Hole
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Thespian”]Seriously, scraping the bottom of the barrel so soon?

It happens…

Who was best in show in Punch Drunk Love?

True, but he’s never lost his ability to put together a team that makes good technical craft. Still, this is a guy who started out with so much promise, and is now going out with a whimper. Hmmm, maybe things can change. Always the hopeless optimist.

[/quote]

Alien and Blade Runner are two of my favorite science fiction movies of all time, so it is with deep regret that I watch Ridley Scott’s most recent movies.

I really don’t like Paul Thomas Anderson movies, so I don’t consider Punch Drunk Love to have redeemed Adam Sandler’s career, although of course it is the best movie Sandler ever made, by far.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

What kind of middlebrow nonesense…Well, good thing most of today’s films aren’t to your liking or redemption because otherwise people would have a terrible time at the theater. ;] It just makes me like and respect The Counselor and Ridley Scott that much more. 

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

This film demands a conversation. I think people were expecting this movie to be either a Fast & Furious spin-off or something with explosions and aliens or whatever. It’s a very entertaining film. I will have to rewatch it but Cameron Diaz is the heart and soul of the movie. She’s just so damn good in that role.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Best in Show #14: The Counselor (2013)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.