Best in Show #16: The Normal Heart (2014)

Home // Forums // Movies // Best in Show #16: The Normal Heart (2014)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • BrokenFan
    Topics:

Sir Ian McKellan narrowly (by two votes) overcame Sean Astin for the title of Best in Show in our last poll! Talk about cutting it close. YOU SHALL NOT PASS.

Anyway, this time I’m shirking all the suggestions (thanks for them by the way and I’ll get back on track next time so keep them coming!) to take a completely left turn towards TV movies, which are still films that’s just shown on a smaller screen, but with the same amount (or more) of the actressing that we expect. We’ll be looking at Ryan Murphy’s much discussed ‘The Normal Heart’ which lost majority of its presumed Emmy wins, (rightfully so imho). So who’s the best in show??? 

You have 2 days.

————-
    Best in Show #1: Meryl Streep – August Osage County 
    Best in Show #2: Mark Wahlberg – I Heart Huckabees 
    Best in Show #3: Sandra Bullock – Crash 
    Best in Show #4: Kim Basinger – L.A. Confidential  
    Best in Show #5: Jack Lemmon – Glengarry Glen Ross 
    Best in Show #6: Amy Adams – American Hustle 
    Best in Show #7: Hugh Jackman – Prisoners   
    Best in Show #8: Peter Finch – Network 
    Best in Show #9: Toni Collette – Little Miss Sunshine  
    Best in Show #10: Julianne Moore – Boogie Nights  
    Best in Show #11: Mark Ruffalo – The Avengers 
    Best in Show #12: Samuel L. Jackson – Pulp Fiction  
    Best in Show #13: Anne Hathaway – The Dark Knight Rises
    Best in Show #14: Cameron Diaz – The Counselor 
    Best in Show #15: Sir Ian McKellan – Lord of the Rings trilogy (Fellowship of the Ring)  

jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

This ones easy. Matt Bomer gave the best performance on TV of the last year

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I havent seen it. I’ll try to catch up on it in the next two days, in between driving to Calgary. picking up a motor home,  and leaving to go almost across the entire country by tuesday. Lol.

A TV Movie. Thanks Boog.

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Matt Bomer. Gave one of the best performances of the year in film and TV. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

I only watched this last night. Uniformly well acted, though Matt Bomer was the standout in the cast.

Given the poor direction and screenplay the cast really deserve alot of praise for making this watchable.

And The Band Played On is a far superior and trufthful telling of those dreadful times.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll go with Matt Bomer, though I was surprised by how much I really enjoyed Taylor Kitsch, even as a fan of his prior FNL work.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Joe Mantello.

Bomer is just ridiculously pretty.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Haha hope you catch up Pook and good luck with your very busy week.

I agree with Aunt Peg’s assessment that the cast made it watchable, so applause to them. I’m kinda irked that Taylor Kitsch got left out of the  Emmys consideration. Did they run out of space? 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Julia Roberts. I thought she was amazing. Joe Mantello, Matt Bomer, and Mark as well. Actually, the whole cast. I loved them all 

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

Honestly, I thought Bomer was good, but he wasn’t THAT good.  I don’t know where I would rank him in the ensemble of men.

I voted for OTHER.  Danielle Ferland gave my favorite performance in the movie.  The monologue she had to perform was so poorly written, yet she rose above the material and stole the show for me. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Bomer’s look was impressive. His performance was not. His performance was mediocore. 

Taylor Kitsch. Easily. No contest. Followed by Roberts and Ruffalo. 

I hope we won’t start bitching about winning-losing and homophobia in this topic. Because I’m kinda tired of that nonsense.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Beyonce
    Participant
    Topics:

Julia

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I found Bomer a little disappointing, and I wasn’t a fan of Roberts or Ruffalo. I am going to go with Joe Mantello, who was just superb 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Bomer’s look was impressive. His performance was not. His performance was mediocore. 

I hope we won’t start bitching about winning-losing and homophobia in this topic. Because I’m kinda tired of that nonsense.  

Sure. Let’s bottle and cap all important subjects which curtail individual rights as a human being. Better to keep a lid on it than make anyone uncomfortable….

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

[quote=”Vincelette”]Bomer’s look was impressive. His performance was not. His performance was mediocore. 

Sure. Let’s bottle and cap all important subjects which curtail individual rights as a human being. Better to keep a lid on it than make anyone uncomfortable….

[/quote]

And here we go again…

People are homophobe in Hollywood because the easily worst in category Matt Bomer and the shitty screenplay lost (also don’t even start that the dreadful JTF should’ve won for Modern Family for being a terribly limited and lame actor…). The movie itself won, but who cares? Hollywood is homophobe. That’s the worst theory of all time. Have you all heard of personal taste? They nominated 3 gays just in that category and awarded Jim Parsons a fourth Emmy. Also Jane Lynch just won her second. But Hollywood is homophobe, right? Let me tell you something. The only reason that Taylor Kitsch’s beautiful performance was snubbed is because he’s not gay in real life like Parsons, Bomer or Mantello. He cannot be nominated over any of them (even if he was much better) because people would call Hollywood even more homophobe nominating the straight actor over the actual gay ones. Just like in The Help. No one cared for Bryce Dallas Howard’s brilliantly evil performance and Allison Janney’s heartbreaking cameo – all they cared about were the maids and black actresses. Chastain didn’t stand a chance to win over the terrible Spencer girl because then the Academy would’ve faced with the criticism: “a white actress won over a black one in a maid movie made about nasty white people and perfect black people”. 

Hollywood is trying to make everyone comfortable and makes several mistakes during it – like nominating/rewarding many performances which are not deserving. I wish people would stop label “gay” and “black” and would focus on the actual performance. And if that performance lose, then accept it and don’t start to call everyone a racist or homophobe. 

I’m done with the topic.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Best in Show #16: The Normal Heart (2014)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.