Home Forums Movies Best in Show #4: L.A. Confidential (1997)

Best in Show #4: L.A. Confidential (1997)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
BrokenFan
babypook
Halo_Insider
  • BrokenFan
    Topics:

Sandra Bullock was the best in show in ‘Crash’ according to the last poll. 

lol This time, I’m betraying everyone (ET and Halo_Insider) who suggested the film I was going to do, for this one since I’ve actually seen it (excuse to catch up on GGR and JAN) 

IMO one of the best ensembles ever from one of the best films ever, and thank you babypook for the suggestion!

You have two days! Vote vote vote!

———————-

Best in Show #1: Meryl Streep – August Osage County
    Best in Show #2: Mark Wahlberg – I Heart Huckabees
    Best in Show #3: Sandra Bullock – Crash

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

In Bullock’s absence, I went with Russell Crowe.

I’ve never seen him better; he wasnt “acting”, and it’s the one and only time I found him appealing. Sexually appealing.  I know I’m not the only one……

Basinger is the only Acting nomination with Oscar. The SAG Ensemble nomination was more like it. It’s also a technical gem; great sound, score, editing. The works.

Not that I have a single thing against the winning film that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t really get Kim’s win for this. This was tough between Spacey vs Cromwell vs Crowe. I usually don’t like Crowe but this was his best performance with The Insider being a close 2nd. I really loved Cromwell in this as well but Spacey just was a joy. Plus his death scene was perfect. (SPOILER ALERT BUT IT’S BEEN LIKE 15 YEARS) 

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Yup. Russell Crowe was just marvelous here. My favorite performance from him actually. 

It’s kinda funny and sad that the least acclaimed performance (not to say that it wasn’t mentioned, or even bad) got the Oscar. I was looking at the nominated performances, and all of them were pretty strong.  I guess it was a tough year and this was the best way to reward the film, since Titanic was going to sweep everything.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

*gasp* The rug’s been pulled out from under me!

I’ve got to go with Pearce, myself. He’s the one that I think says the most without dialogue. While he doesn’t get to be as ferocious as Russell Crowe, Pearce’s quiet intensity was probably the most enthralling aspect of L.A. Confidential. He gets the best character arc, as he’s forced to become a lot more pragmatic in his attempts to navigate L.A.’s seedy environment, and Pearce sells it all very well. Gene Siskel said something about Pearce’s performance that has really stayed with me: “He can stare directly into the screen, and it’s dramatic. That’s the nature of stardom.” 

Russell Crowe was a very close second, though, and this is definitely my favorite performance from him. Would’ve loved to have seen either of these two win the Oscar that year, as both were MUCH more deserving than any of the actual Best Actor nominees (though I haven’te seen Ian Holm in The Sweet Hereafter). Pearce probably would’ve made a good winner for Memento, too, though I haven’t seen In the Bedroom and am a fan of Tom Wilkinson, so I best get to that.

Hey, how about an In the Bedroom poll for later? Wilkinson vs. Spacek vs. Tomei vs. Other?  

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Yessss ‘In the Bedroom’ is in the works. It’s a great work of subtlety and is superbly acted. 

But yes, Guy Pearce was actually my very close #2. They were two sides of the same coin, but I thought Crowe’s character was a bit more intriguing. So yes, in the end, I chose it through a petty route. It’s a shame that he hasn’t gotten any Oscar traction, like at all… 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Guy Pearce’s character is one of the most well-rounded and complex written for the screen, and he projects that near-perfectly. Smart. self-righteous, manipulative, deceitful; morally suspect,  he surpasses  James Cromwell’s “Dudly Smith” tit for tat. Both of them are terrific.

It’s amazing to watch his progression.

That screenplay is so stellar.

Suggestions?

The Deer Hunter

The Godfather

The Crying Game

?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Sandra Bullock was the best in show in ‘Crash’ according to the last poll. 

lol This time, I’m betraying everyone (ET and Halo_Insider) who suggested the film I was going to do, for this one since I’ve actually seen it (excuse to catch up on GGR and JAN) 

IMO one of the best ensembles ever from one of the best films ever, and thank you babypook for the suggestion!

You have two days! Vote vote vote!

———————-

Best in Show #1: Meryl Streep – August Osage County
    Best in Show #2: Mark Wahlberg – I Heart Huckabees
    Best in Show #3: Sandra Bullock – Crash

I’m very happy for this! She deserved an Oscar nomination for her work!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I would also like to suggest “Little Miss Sunshine” “Gosford Park” and “The Help” for consideration for a poll like this!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I pick Basinger, everyone else in this movie is great, but somehow she’s the one who stuck the most with me.

and please do “Murder on The Orient Express” for this kind of poll, it’s an underseen gem these days, and also to commemmorate Bacall 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, a dead heat in this poll so far… It really is a stacked cast, so it’s not surprising, but I can’t guess who will win right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I would also like to mention Devito was very good in this too.

The Help, Little Miss Sunshine, 12 Years a Slave, Contagion, The Color Purple, Django Unchained, Black Swan, and True Grit (2010) would be picks for me 

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

lol Oh my goodness. Maybe that’s why they didn’t get an Oscar nod. Everyone was split on everyone so why go through the trouble and just not nominate most of it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Basinger is winning this poll!!!!!!

LMAO so hard! The most criticized, belittled, disrespected Oscar win maybe of all time! Mwah-hahahahaaaa!

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

What is this? the Oscars?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Best in Show #4: L.A. Confidential (1997)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.