Home Forums Movies Best in show: film edition #24 The Great Gatsby (2013)

Best in show: film edition #24 The Great Gatsby (2013)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Beyonce
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Closer’ poll was won by Clive Owen

nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Went with Leonardo DiCaprio. I thought he was totally miscast at first, i just thought he was such an obvious choice who wouldnt do it will. I expected him to just play up his boyish charm, but then when I saw the movie I was totally surprised by him. Idk maybe its because I just went in with low expectations, but he really impressed me, one of my favorite performances of last year. Meanwhile the rest of the cast kind of dissapointed me, i thought at best some of them were decent but I didnt think any of them other than DiCaprio were great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

DiCaprio was immaculate.

Edgerton should have been nominated.

Maguire was the weak link.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

DiCaprio for sure. If he didn’t have ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’, this could’ve been his Lead Actor bid.

ReplyCopy URL
    GraemeONeil
    Participant
    Topics:

This isn’t even close. Leo was incredible here and deserved more recognition (and he probably would have gotten it if Wolf hadn’t come along).  Edgarton was memorable, but everyone else was a wash especially Maguire who barely registered as the catalyst for the story.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

It has to be DiCaprio, but I’m reluctant to vote as even he comes slightly short of excellence (though that’s more the fault of Baz Luhrmann’s superficial direction). Find it difficult to imagine anyone else cast in the role, but the same can’t be said for the rest of the ensemble. Maguire is a disaster (I remember reading a very funny comment about his constant wide-eyed amazement resembling Harry Potter on his first day at Hogwarts) and Mulligan, who I’m usually very fond of, is miscast here. Edgerton is serviceable, and everyone else barely registers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

If The Great Gatsby had hits its original Christmas 2012 release date, how would it have done?

Given that it won Production Design and Costume Design for 2013, despite coming out so early, I think that it could have beaten upset Lincoln and tepidly-received Anna Karenina.

Beyond that, would it have been nominated for Makeup & Hairstyling, Original Song and Leading Actor?  Makeup I think no, song it could not even overcome “Alone Yet Not Alone” when it should have won, so I say no.  With DiCaprio, maybe he could have beaten out Denzel Washington, but the reviews to DiCaprio’s performance and the movie were not that great, plus the academy has overlooked him before.  Critics that cited him for The Wolf of Wall Street did not even split the nomination between his two films as they often do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I think you’re right that Gatsby would’ve beaten Lincoln and AK in Production Design and Costume Design respectively, and I doubt it would’ve received any other nominations. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey would be booted out of PD and Snow White and the Huntsman out of costumes. For the following year, I guess The Desolation of Smaug (PD) and possibly Saving Mr Banks (costume) get in in Gatsby’s absence (I thought Smaug’s sets were more impressive than Journey’s) with maybe Her and American Hustle winning. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Best in show: film edition #24 The Great Gatsby (2013)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.