Home Forums Movies Best Live Action Short 2014

Best Live Action Short 2014

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
David
Jalal Haddad
seabel
  • David
    Participant
    Topics:

If there is already a forum for this topic, let me know and I’d love to jump in. Anyway, here’s my take on the nominees.

My bet for the winner of this category is “The Phone Call.” The film about a woman at a crisis center taking a call from a depressed man is intense and attention-grabbing from beginning to end. The lackluster title is overshadowed by the Oscar prowess of previous nominee Sally Hawkins and winner Jim Broadbent. Those two names alone give this nominee an Oscar bang that could be considered larger than life for this below-the-line category.

“Boogaloo and Graham” is a blend of sentimentality and humor that sets it apart from other nominees. For its different approach involving a story of two brothers raising two chickens as pets, I believe this nominee is a comfortable second place.

I’ll go ahead and put “Butter Lamp” in third place simply because I think it again separates itself from other nominees. Two men take photographs of groups of people in front of a variety of backdrops has a subtle humor that leaves an atmosphere of delight with the audience. I wouldn’t be surprised if some voters choose this selection for the amount of charm it oozes.

The final two nominees are overshadowed by the other selections that I do not see much hope for them to win. “Parvaneh”, about a young Afghan immigrant trying to send money to her family, is a great coming-of-age tale that is rich in women’s rights symbolism (she lets her hair down!) that it may affect certain members of the Academy. I absolutely hated “Aya” about a woman who picks up a man from the airport because of its desperate attempt to be important and send a message.

David
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

I was so pissed when “Just before losing everything” lost last year…

I hope something BIG, EMOTIONAL, wins this year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    David
    Participant
    Topics:

Then definitely root for “The Phone Call.” Sally Hawkins and Jim Broadbent make this a bigger entry than the others.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jalal Haddad
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a two way race between The Phone Call and Aya. I was ready to dismiss The Phone Call because it seemed to be getting a lot of hype, almost unfairly because it stars two big names. Watching it though the short definitely has the biggest emotional punch out of the five. Once the film ended I also thought it was very well made. The best film out of the bunch though was Aya. The story was thought provoking and kept viewers on the edge of their seats. The acting was great and this short had the most memorable moment out of all five shorts with the piano playing on the leg with the shot zooming out of the car. I think the Phone Call is ahead but if people actually watch the tapes I could see Aya winning, especially if voters don’t want to vote for a film with big names (which I think hurt The Voorman Problem last year).

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah I don’t buy the hype for The Phone Call. The Voorman Problem had big names in it last year so I don’t think that matters. I think that Parvaneh is the best of the bunch mostly because it was one that I would sit through a feature length version of it. I found the chemistry of the stars so rich and beautiful and really wanted to see more from these characters. Butter Lamp was cute but I don’t think comedy works to win this category unless it is dark like Curfew had two years ago. Aya I thought was good but needed to be cut down a conversation or two. It dragged to the point I thought I was sitting through a feature. The Phone Call was fine but I felt myself bored a little. And also this is going to draw comparissons to the Doc Short nominee Crisis Hotline. Boogaloo was also funny and with its BAFTA win I could see some fans building for that one but still I feel like Parvaneh had all the ingredients to a great short film but The Phone Call could very well win this. I just didn’t feel like a clear winner was there when I left like I did when I saw Helium last year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

My vote would be for “The Phone Call.” Sally Hawkins did some Oscar-level acting work there, and it’s not solely about being the most high-profile nominee of the field. It’s the most sympathetic entry by far and the one that resonated with me the most. I think it’ll do the same for voters. The spoiler is “Boogaloo & Graham” (also a new BAFTA winner for Best British Short Film last night). It’s the quirky and “funny” standout of the five, and that might be enough to win in a fairly somber roster. “Parvaneh” had a breakout debut performance from Nissa Kashani, but I found the story itself to be a bit slight. Don’t really know what to say about “Butter Lamp.” It’s the closest of the “ethnic” nominees that this category normally
    loves to include (they’re almost always set in Africa and center around
    some level of war-torn strife, many times involving children). This is totally different from those past nominees, but the way it’s filmed was like nothing I’d ever seen before (in a good way). I’m fairly baffled by “Aya” even making the list. It was somehow the
    longest entry and the most incomplete feeling of the five nominees. I’m going with “The Phone Call” FTW. Impressive list this year.

Rankings:

1. “The Phone Call”
    2. “Boogaloo & Graham”
    3. “Parvaneh”
    4. “Butter Lamp” [La Lampe Au Beurre De Yak]
    5. “Aya”

ReplyCopy URL
    Jalal Haddad
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone think votes will be split between the two UK shorts (Phone Call and Boogaloo. & Graham) making room for a surprise winner? Normally I would say no but both films are strong and seem to be getting a lot of support. Also, I don’t think it is that easy to compare Phone Call to Voorman Problem because they have recognizable names. The Phone Call was a well made short while Voorman Problem felt unfinished like it was a scene in a feature length film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw PADDINGTON over the weekend so funny since it also features the two leads in THE PHONE CALL.  I’ve seen the other two short collections so will catch this one this week. 

ReplyCopy URL
    David
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought “Aya” went on and on. Validation is sweet. 🙂
    I am predicting Phone Call but I am very nervous of Boogaloo. It’s extremely sentimental and sweet and could tug at enough hearts of the voters. However, Phone Call’s ending is also pretty devastating and certainly impactful.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Best Live Action Short 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.