Best MALE film performance of 2015?

Home // Forums // Movies // Best MALE film performance of 2015?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Marcus Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Forget the supporting/lead designations, I’m curious to know what MALE film performance is the best you’ve seen so far of 2015? Sound off!

manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d honestly probably say Andrew Garfield in 99 Homes. But male performances have generally left something to be desired this year.

Some others I liked are Paul Dano in Love & Mercy, Jason Segal in The End of the Tour and Géza Röhrig in Son of Saul. By Academy-qualifying release you can include Jack O’Connell in ‘71 and Gaspard Ulliel in Saint Laurent

ReplyCopy URL
    LuisAlbertoQH
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs. BY FAR. As of now. 

ReplyCopy URL
    drenja
    Participant
    Topics:

As of now John Cusack for “Love & Mercy”

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

As of right now, Matt Damon in The Martian. I just loved how he maintains his sense of humor and humility in the face of peril. By the time the movie was over, I just wanted to hug him. 

I also love Benicio Del Toro in Sicario and Oscar Isaac in Ex Machina who are a close second and third respectively as of now. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Garfield/Shannon in 99 Homes definitely are up there but Alexander Skarsgard really blew me away in Diary of a Teenage Girl. He really showed me he has many more sides to him than a somewhat campy vampire. Such a raw and heartbreaking performance 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

So far the male performances that have really stuck with me this year are Jason Segel and Jesse Eisenberg in ‘The End of the Tour’, Benicio Del Toro in ‘Sicario’, Oscar Isaac in ‘Ex Machina’, Jason Mitchell in ‘Straight Outta Compton’, and Michael Fassbender and Jeff Daniels in ‘Steve Jobs’. Forced to narrow it down, it’s between Fassy and Segel.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

I admittedly haven’t seen much, but at this point I’d probably say Jacob Tremblay in Room. I’m so glad the film is doing as well as it is because it means he might actually get the recognition he deserves (even though he really should be in leading)

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

My favorite performances so far have been Jake Gyllenhal in ‘Southpaw’, Matt Damon in ‘The Martian’, Thomas Mann in ‘Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl’, and Joel Egerton in ‘The Gift’

If I had to pick the BEST of my bunch, I’d have to go with Gyllenhal just because it was a dynamic and different performance from him. Shame the film wasn’t received better by critics or else I’d place him in contention for a Oscar nom. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jaqen H’ghar
    Topics:

Like the female performances, there are a lot of male performances I still have to see. So far, my biggest standout is Sam Elliott in Grandma. I was hoping Lily Tomlin could stay on everyone’s radar so that voters would by default notice Elliott (see: Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern for Wild, Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal for Crazy Heart, and so forth), but it seems even she is losing steam. He pulled a Dame Judi, Viola Davis, Beatrice Straight, and took a tiny bit of material and made it gold, not because it was written that way, but because of what he did with it.  

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Still to see some of the top tier contenders, but from what I have seen there are two that stand out most to me, for very different reasons.

Abraham Attah – Beasts of No Nation
    I’m often not a fan of ‘child actors’, because there often isn’t that emotional complexity in their performances, but Attah is sensational. It is such a harrowing film to watch at times, and Attah is emotionally relentless and captivating to watch. Simply stunning.

Tom Hardy – Legend
    Oh how I wish he could be recognised for each individual role he has in this film. He balances the two roles so brilliantly. The split screen and dual performance never becomes a gimmick. He ranges from the brutality of the violence of the Krays, to their sheer hilarity effortlessly. I’m gutted this performance isn’t being talked about more. Ideally, he would be getting Leading recognition for Reggie, and Supporting nominations for Ronnie.

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

(so far) my nominees would be:

Abraham AttahBeasts of No Nation
    Idris Elba Beasts of No Nation
    Colin FarrellThe Lobster
    Ian McKellenMr. Holmes
    Shameik MooreDope

ReplyCopy URL
    Adam Rock
    Participant
    Topics:

It is still early but for me its very close between Fassbender (Steve Jobs) and Depp (Black Mass). I haven’t watched Beasts of No Nation yet though and I’ve always loved Elba so I have a feeling he might take over my number 1. 

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The actor who has astonished me is Jacob Tremblay in Room – I wasn’t expecting such an amazing, dare I say it MATURE performance from an 8 year old playing a 5 year old (: Most little boys are totally annoying or cloying in movies; not so with this youngster.

I was also totally taken off guard by Jeff Daniels in Steve Jobs. I wasn’t expecting anything except a routine perfunctory performance and instead was treated to an acting tour-de-force.

I suspect they will be ineligible for Oscar consideration but I was amazed by Guillaume Canet’s performance as a cop who is also a serial killer in Next Time I’ll Aim For The Heart (France; 2014) and for the funniest performance of the  year: Christian Claver in Bad (Serial) Weddings (also the funniest movie I saw all year!) (France; 2014) I wish Bad (Serial) Weddings would get Golden Globe nominations in the Comedy/Musical categories (the actress who plays the mother was also hilarious but I can never remember her name)…

John Cusack and Paul Dano were unexpected surprises in the phenomenal acting sweepstakes for me. Love & Mercy was superb (:

So my pick (so far) is Jacob Tremblay for Room (:

ReplyCopy URL
    Dr.Fabe
    Participant
    Topics:

Géza Röhrig in Son of Saul. If the film plays well with the Academy I can see him break through to the final Best Actor lineup.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Reply To: Best MALE film performance of 2015?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.