Best Nominated Supporting Actress Since 2000 From A Musical

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Nominated Supporting Actress Since 2000 From A Musical

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

There seems to be something about musicals and their Supporting Actresses at the Oscars.

No other category has had as many musical performances since the turn of the century (not done any maths, but it looks that way anyway). 

So of the 6 actresses who have been nominated (or even won, as is the case with 3 performers) who is the best?

Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

Although Anne Hathaway wasn’t in Les Miserables for a long time. But, everytime she was on screen I thought she was really effective with her limited time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

When the Wicked Movie is finally made i think it could sweep depending on quality

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Anne Hathaway. Easy. Even within the constraints of her screen time, she still amazingly acted out her singing. Especially her big “I Dreamed A Dream” number. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordell Martin
    Participant
    Topics:

Catherine Zeta Jones or Jennifer Hudson. 

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Catherine Zeta Jones didn’t have the big emotional ballad that Hudson and Hathaway had, but everything she brought to the role was just, insane. Everyone in the movie was great, but her control and energy and intensity just like tore across the screen like she’d die if her adrenaline dropped to safe levels.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Catherine Zeta Jones didn’t have the big emotional ballad that Hudson and Hathaway had, but everything she brought to the role was just, insane. Everyone in the movie was great, but her control and energy and intensity just like tore across the screen like she’d die if her adrenaline dropped to safe levels.

Yeah, this! Hudson and Hathaway nailed their big numbers but so did CZJ with “All the Jazz” but it’s more entertaining than emotional. No question that she gives the best ACTING performance out of these 6 actresses throughout her movie. It’s one of the most deserving Oscars in this category. 

1. Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chicago
    2. Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
    3. Penelope Cruz, Nine
    4. Queen Latifah, Chicago
    5. Meryl Streep, Into the Woods
    6. Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls (some of her acting ‘choices’ are laughable) 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

The Zeta was the complete package in “Chicago,” so she gets my vote pretty easily.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Anne Hathaway, by far.

The rest are either terrible to average. I have never really liked Zeta Jones‘ win – not over Julianne Moore in “The Hours”, that’s just a crime. Hudson is an amazing singer, but she’s not an actress. Penelope Cruz‘s nomination was a joke over her co-star, Marion Cotillard   I understand that Cruz is sexy, but come on… Queen Latifah is an incredible actress, but she didn’t do anything Oscar-worthy in “Chicago”. In a weak category, Streep is a worthy nominee, but overall, it’s an average performance by her which wouldn’t make the cut with a different actor.

1. Anne Hathaway

2. Meryl Streep
    3. Catherine Zeta Jones
    —-
    4. Queen Latifah
    5. Jennifer Hudson
    —-
    6. Penélope Cruz (I think her nomination is one of the worst in Oscar-history. And I loved her win for “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” a lot.)

ReplyCopy URL
    zordon
    Participant
    Topics:

For me also Zeta-Jones easily wins this. She was just sensational. I still get goosebumps on the sound of the word “Cicero” 

ReplyCopy URL
    marcelo
    Participant
    Topics:

Catherine!!! Her performance is like a huracane.

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

Catherine Zeta Jones 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gone_Guy
    Topics:

None of these are bad performances. Not even Jennifer Hudson’s, whom I was fine with winning since Toni Collette (Little Miss Sunshine) and Jill Clayburgh (Running with Scissors) were left off of the nominations.

Two that would top this for me sadly don’t get to be included because they were both snubbed, sadly: Michelle Pfeiffer in Hairspray (MVP) and Marion Cotillard in Nine (ridiculously placed in Lead).  

ReplyCopy URL
    zordon
    Participant
    Topics:

Two that would top this for me sadly don’t get to be included because they were both snubbed, sadly: Michelle Pfeiffer in Hairspray (MVP) and Marion Cotillard in Nine (ridiculously placed in Lead).  

You reminded me about Pfeiffer in Hairspray. She was so freaking amazing in that movie! My favorite supporting performance of 2007 and one the funniest in the last decade. She was worthy of Oscar nom and didn’t even get a Globe nod! 

ReplyCopy URL
    ScandalWife
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Hudson gets my vote for her performace of “And I am telling you I’m not going.” I remember when I saw the film in theatres the whole theatre went crazy. It was like we were at a concert. While the movie was made to be Beyonce’s film, everyone left that theatre talking about Jennifer. I wish Into the Woods was a bettter movie and had a better cast around Meryl. If the film and cast were better, she could easily have won the oscar and this poll. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Best Nominated Supporting Actress Since 2000 From A Musical

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.