Best Original Score 2014

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Original Score 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • einner
    Participant
    Topics:

Who do you think are contenders for this category? 

I have a feeling Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross will end up getting nominated and win. Hans Zimmer could get in too.

But who do you think can get in? 

Emmys2011
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh do I hope Reznor and Ross get nominated! They were ridiculously snubbed for TGWTDT. If the film does well with nominations they might get in, but they are definitely not winning…

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2014/09/new-track-from-the-gone-girl-score-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross/

I think no one is scoring films like they are today. They are just so unique and brilliant… 

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

The Imitation Game is winning this. And finally! Alexandre Desplat is a brilliant contemporary composer.

Prediction:
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, Gone Girl
    Alexandre Desplat, The Imitation Game
    Jonny Greenwood, Inherent Vice
    Hans Zimmer, Interstellar
    Alexandre Desplat, Unbroken

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

My vote would be Alexandre Desplat’s score for The Grand Budapest Hotel, but that film at this point will be lucky to get a screenplay nod. It doesn’t help that Desplat also scored both The Imitation Game and Unbroken this year as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that The Imitation Game will sweep and Desplat will benefit from this.

Picture
    Director
    Actor
    Supporting Actress*
    Adapted Screenplay
    Production Design
    Score 

I don’t know about Knightley, but I’m getting The King’s Speech/The Artist vibes over here. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I wrote out a whole list of my favorite scores of the year so far and it doesn’t look like it posted but I’m too lazy to retype it. How are you prediticing The Imitation Game when you haven’t seen or heard the score yet? I don’t understand that concept. 

So far, I think The Grand Budapest Hotel has the best score from everything has come out so far and I wouldn’t count out How to Train Your Dragon 2. The first movie’s score was nominated 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Alexandre Desplat has been prolific, but has he ever composed a memorable or exceptional score?  Someone’s not overdue or owed until they have the material to back it and lose to something inferior.  Of course, we’ll have to hear the score before anything’s for certain.  Does John Williams have anything this year?  He’d be guaranteed a nomination, which would be his 50th.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Desplat can get in for Grand Budapest, Imitation Game OR Unbroken. I suspect he gets in for GB and one of the more Oscar bait titles. I can see A.R. Rahman getting in for The Hundred Foot Journey as well, since it’s gotten some good notices. They don’t always go with the most “Oscary” titles in this category, necessarily. 

The score for The Theory of Everything has been singled out, as well. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

It doesn’t look like Williams has anything this year. Desplat has some memorable scores and Grand Budapest is one of them 

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that The Imitation Game will sweep and Desplat will benefit from this.

Picture
    Director
    Actor
    Supporting Actress*
    Adapted Screenplay
    Production Design
    Score 

I don’t know about Knightley, but I’m getting The King’s Speech/The Artist vibes over here

Ut oh. That’s scary.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

It doesn’t look like Williams has anything this year. Desplat has some memorable scores and Grand Budapest is one of them 

I disagree on Grand Budapest.  I’d probably point to Desplat’s score to Zero Dark Thirty as his most memorable and most successful.  There were key scenes that relied on the score to expertly building tension.  And I was a fan of how Desplat blurred the lines between sound and music.  The end was much more powerful than his overwrought musical statements at the end of his Oscar-nominated Argo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Original Score

TOP FIVE

• Birdman – Antonio Sanchez
    • Gone Girl – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
    • Interstellar – Hans Zimmer
    • The Judge – Thomas Newman
    • Unbroken – Alexandre Desplat

OTHER CONTENDERS

• Big Eyes – Danny Elfman
    • Fury – Steven Price
    • The Grand Budapest Hotel – Alexandre Desplat
    • How To Train Your Dragon 2 – John Powell
    • Inherent Vice – Jonny Greenwood 
    ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

The Score from The Homesman trailer was really beautiful. If they use that score in the film then i think The Homesman could be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

I wrote out a whole list of my favorite scores of the year so far and it doesn’t look like it posted but I’m too lazy to retype it. How are you prediticing The Imitation Game when you haven’t seen or heard the score yet? I don’t understand that concept.

Because that’s how PREDICTION works. You predict without seeing. In fact, it’s a game. Your first predictions of the year (Around March or April) should be like that, and then come in February of the following year to see how well did you do based on your instincts.

Anyway, we do have some certainty about The Imitation Game’s scores. Tweets in Telluride and Toronto were delighted by the score, mentioning it in the tweets alongside the picture, benedict and keira.

ReplyCopy URL
    einner
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmm these nominees are all great. I think Desplat can get it for Unbroken or Imitation Game, I loved the score for GB but I don’t see the Academy nominating him for it.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Best Original Score 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.