Home Forums Movies Best Picture 2000

Best Picture 2000

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

And the nominees were…

Chocolat
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Erin Brockovich
    Gladiator
    Traffic

I was just wondering which films were the big ponies leading up to the 73rd Academy Awards ceremony. I have watch all five nominees over and over throughout the years; and I don’t quit understand how Gladiator walked away with the win. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed all the films up for the big award; I just thought Tiger and Traffic were more worthy.

Please share your thoughts.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmmm,..Gladiator won Best Picture without a screenplay, Editing or Director win. I do recall the film getting mostly positive reviews. If memory serves, (and I feel I’m calling out the Candy Man by saying this) both Crouching Tiger and Traffic were seriously in the mix, with Chocolat viewed as a “filler” nominee and “too light” for the O-so-serious Academy. Erin was going to win Best Actress, which seems to have been enough, and with Soderbergh having two nominations for two BP nominees, it wasnt that surprising that Director and Picture split.

Gladiator’s precursor wins/noms are good, although I believe they got mostly shafted by the Globes.

Personally, I fully agree with you. But I also am not critical of Chocolat, a film I really loved. I’ll stop here for now but there’s so much more to say about these films and this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Well, the year’s actual Best Picture (Requiem for a Dream) was snubbed.

As was Almost Famous and Wonder Boys.

Memento was technically released this year but not eligible at the Oscars until the next year. For my personal awards the eligibility rules are different so I nominated it this year.

Of the nominees, it’s a tough choice between Crouching Tiger and Traffic.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

This is my personal choice.

You want to know who I am? I am… I am the Invincible Sword Goddess, armed with the Green Destiny that knows no equal! Be you Li or Southern Crane, bow your head and ask for mercy! I am the dragon from the desert! Who comes from nowhere and leaves no trace! Today I fly over Eu-Mei. Tomorrow… I topple Mount Wudan!

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Very good lineup, but I still think Gladiator was deserving, with Crouching tiger being just as deserving.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Dancer in the dark should have won

ReplyCopy URL
    Jackson Powell
    Participant
    Topics:

Before Night Falls should have been nominated

ReplyCopy URL
    Jackson Powell
    Participant
    Topics:

Before Night Falls should have been nominated

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I recall wanted “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” to win BP so badly at the time. At least it didn’t go home emptyhanded.

“Traffic” would have made an equally deserving winner. I would have been fine with Soderbergh winning director for that or “Erin Brockovich.” The latter was justly rewarded for Julia’s win, and the former for SS.

“Gladiator” is rousing enough, but I would have ranked it at best fourth place from those nominees.

I try to pretend that meh “Chocolat” wasn’t even a nominee. Anyone questioning the power of Harvey in his heyday should look at this nomination with reverence.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

^

Atyp, my fondness for Chocolat has nothing to do with this guy. I love the characters in that town, the wonderful young, compassionate and insightful priest, the goodness in Molina’s character so difficult to see at first; the empowerment of the women, the sexy Depp, the score, and the whimsy.

As far as I’m concerned, Harvey did good here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

As rousing as Gladiator is; its still not as poetically beautiful as Tiger or as deeply rooted as Traffic.  My preference:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Traffic
    Gladiator
    Erin Brockovich
    Chocolat
    (a nice film; I thoroughly enjoyed it, but Requiem for a Dream and/or Almost Famous should have been here. Looking back, the latter two films are more relevant.)

I think a win for Ridley Scott would have been easier to digest.  Thoughts?

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I would not have voted for Ridley Scott on this one. Blade Runner and Alien, absolutely. Fine with his nod for Thelma and Louise. Imo, that’s the last good film Ridley has done.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m fine with Soderbergh winning for “Traffic.” I was rooting hard for Ang Lee, but Soderbergh is a great winner, and I would have accepted either of his nominations. But if Lee had won, I’d guess he wouldn’t have at least one of his current Oscars for “Brokeback Mountain” or “Life of Pi.” Which Oscar win would the Academy not give him, and who gets that win instead lol?

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon should have won. IMO the artistic merit combined with the scale and scope put it over the edge when compared to Gladiator & Traffic (both great movies in their own right). Those four wins were a consolation prize I guess. Lastly, i will NEVER understand the American academys bias against Asian actors. The three main cast members were win worthy at best and nomination worthy at the least.

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

Since “Traffic” did so well in other categories, I’m ok with Gladiator winning. It was an absolutely fantastic film that was crowd-pleasing and had the scope of a Best Picture winner.

I’ll never forgive CTHD for that flashback sequence that drained the energy from the film.

That being said, 4 out of the 5 nominees are fantastic. Chocolat had no business being there (bravo, Harvey). 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Best Picture 2000

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.