Home Forums Movies Best Picture, 2005

Best Picture, 2005

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

What do you think should have won?

seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, hands down.

1. Brokeback Mountain
    2. Munich
    3. Capote
    4. Good night and Good luck
    5. Crash

ReplyCopy URL
    AroundU
    Topics:

I only recently watched Brokeback and Crash for the first time out of interest because the Oscars ect. I watched Crash first and really enjoyed it and thought, yeah a worthy best picture winner. Then later i watched Brokeback and it really struck me, it was beautifully shot/acted/written, a modern day classic. Crash is a great film, but Brokeback Mountain is a classic and should of won.

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

Without question  … BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

Capote should’ve won, what a remarkable movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Capote’ has one of the best opening sequences I’ve seen in my entire life. And I’ve seen thousands of movies. The elegancy of the creator’s world and his relationships with the rest of the people he’s forced to live with is magnificent. Bennett Miller was such a discovery.

But ‘Brokeback Mountain’ last sequence is also one of the best I’ve ever seen. The acting, the music, the image… Everything was perfect, a perfect ending to a masterpiece.

‘Munich’ had a great style, it was dark and mysterious all the time. I could feel the pain, the suffering. You could even smell it. Spielberg did a great job, and I’m not a big fan of his work, but this time he got my thumbs up.

‘Good night and Good luck’… I felt it was empty sometimes. But the visuals and the story were merely good, classic, effective. The reason to watch this movie is simple: David Strathairn. And it was a movie made to be seen at that year, with politic crisis and all that stuff that George Clooney loves to do sometimes.

‘Crash’ was the worst of the category and I can’t even find an answer to the “What is it doing here, nominated?” question. ‘The Constant Gardener’, ‘Walk the Line’, ‘Match Point’, ‘The Squid and the Whale’… were much better movies/stories than ‘Crash’ but we know this is Hollywood and they like it simple and bland.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Capote, followed by Munich.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Munich, GN&GL, BM, Capote all were decent (not great) movies, in that order

Crash wasn’t 

ReplyCopy URL
    ladyhathor
    Topics:

Well, I liked to varying degrees Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Good Nigt and Good Luck and Munich.  Crash shouldn’t even have been nominated with those 4 films.  It was terrible.

I probably would have voted for BBM or Munich.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

My favorite film of the year was the three hours plus epic version of “The New World” which was an amazing, immersive visual experience that played in NY and LA but the general release version was shorter, though it felt longer, and did not work nearly as well. So my favorite film of the year was not a best picture nominee and may not even exist any more (the extended version on DVD is not the same as what I saw in the theatre though it is closer.

Amongst the nominees it is between “Brokeback Mountain” and “Munich”. “Munich” is a great piece of kinetic action film-making even if it is not the best written movie. It is a worthy winner but “Brokeback” did hit me with a surprising emotional wallop. It is a little quieter than I wish it would be but it is beautiful and moving. “Brokeback” gets my vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

The best film of 2005 wasn’t even nominated: The Squid and the Whale.

However, if I had to pick from the nominees, I’d for sure pick Brokeback. A modern day classic told through Ang Lee’s beautiful camera. It deals with a tricky subject, but never in a look at me kind of way.

Crash is one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. Truly pandering and TV movie garbage on racism. Though Pena and Dillion do fine work, the film as a whole is a completely shallow and indulgent pices of pretension I ever witnessed. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Plus, Munich is one of the best films of the decade and Spielberg’s career. Mesmerizing. I would be happy with either Munich or Brokeback winning honestly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Memoirs of a Geisha should have been nominated.

I have seen Brokeback and Crash but i haven’t seen the other 3. But out of crash and brokeback…..brokeback was better.

Crash i thought was an awful film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Fishbiscuit
    Participant
    Topics:

Munich was the best film of the five. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmmm…well, I found Capote extremely annoying, and were it not for Clifton Collins Jr, I may have found it unbearable. GN&GL I found a bit more interesting, but it certainly isnt one of my favorite films.
    Munich is a terrific film, and one I still find uncompromising, and yet sympathetic. I’m not a hater of Crash; it just didnt make my top ten that year. I can understand why there is more acceptance of the film….overseas.

Brokeback Mountain absolutely broke my heart into little pieces. Just thinking about the movie makes me want to watch it again, and again. It was also filmed close to my home, and the score and scenery is beautiful, and appropriate. On an emotional level, few films have affected me more than this. It gets my vote.

The New World
    The Constant Gardener
    A History of Violence
    Munich
    Brokeback Mountain

Match Point
    Syriana

I would have preferred this lineup to the one they gave us.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.