Best Picture 2011

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Picture 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Out of this list of nominees, what would’ve been your choice?

Mine would’ve been The Descendants, which I found to be the best in a so-so lineup. There were actually a lot of great films in contention that year (Shame (my personal choice), Drive, Harry Potter, Melancholia, Dragon Tattoo, Bridesmaids, We Need To Talk About Kevin, etc.), yet they sadly didn’t as much recognition in the awards circuit as the films in the actual list.

Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Hugo is one of my favourite movies ever. I love it so much. There’s no way I could have not voted for it on this poll.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I love The Artist, but my favorite is definitely The Tree of Life in that list.

A Separation was handily the best film of that year for me, though. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

2011 was such a wasted year. So many great films out, yet the Oscar short list doesn’t even reflect remotely that. 

Like, of the nominees I would probably keep Moneyball, The Descendants, Midnight in Paris, and Tree of Life.  

my personal picks
    Melancholia
    Drive
    Take Shelter
    Tree of Life
    Bridesmaids
    Moneyball
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Martha Macy May Marlene
    The Descendants
    Midnight in Paris

We also had potential out of the box nominees like A Separation, Poetry, Meek’s Cutoff, Shame, Certified Copy,

UGH….wasted potential!! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Drive
    Midnight in Paris
    Tree of Life
    Young Adult
    Separation
    Shame
    50/50
    Hugo
    Martha Marcy May Marlene
    Super 

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

1. The Tree of Life

2. Hugo
    3. Midnight in Paris
    4. The Artist
    5. The Help
    6. The Descendants
    7. War Horse
    8. Moneyball
    9. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

However…. A Separation, Take Shelter, and maybe Shame should have been nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

Woof.  I hated this year.

Midnight in Paris was probably my favorite one to watch, but I did really enjoy The Artist, too.  I gave my vote to The Artist just because it’s unique and extremely well-done.

The Help was wonderfully acted and was a pretty solid movie, but I remember being very disappointed the first time I saw it because I LOVED the book.  The movie doesn’t do the complexity of the book justice.  But I did re-watch The Help some months after and enjoyed it more.

I remember Moneyball being fairly entertaining to sit through when I saw it.  I remember nothing else from it, though.  Like… absolutely nothing.  Nada.

The Tree of Life was… pretty?  It took me about 4 days to get through the movie.  I had to watch it in segments because there is no way I could have sat through that straight through.  I think we can all agree that it’s (along with Malick’s work) one of those things you either enjoy watching or don’t.  I don’t, but I can understand the artistic merit.

I watched about 30 mins of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close on HBO and had to turn it off.  I couldn’t.

I didn’t like Hugo at all.  What was it about?  The story felt kind of pointless to me.  The most dramatic thing that happend was the girl falling down on the floor.

I never have, nor will I ever have any desire to watch War Horse.  I hear it’s a fine movie, but no.  I’m all set.

And I have brought up how much I hated The Descendants multiple times on the boards… so I won’t bore you all again with why I hated it so much.

Even the other movies that came out that year that weren’t nominated didn’t thrill me.  I really enjoyed Young Adult and would have put it in my pics for BP nominees, but it still wasn’t anything spectacular.  Bridesmaids had BRILLIANTLY funny moments, but disappointed me as a whole (granted I only saw the director’s cut… so I felt like I was just watching people improv with each other for hours.  I didn’t realize it was the director’s cut when I was watching it.  I need to give it another try.  But I remember wishing the plot focused more on the ensemble than just Wiigs’ character.)  Let’s see… what else came out that year?  It’s all a blur…

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

2011 was such a wasted year. So many great films out, yet the Oscar short list doesn’t even reflect remotely that. 

Like, of the nominees I would probably keep Moneyball, The Descendants, Midnight in Paris, and Tree of Life.  

my personal picks
    Melancholia
    Drive
    Take Shelter
    Tree of Life
    Bridesmaids
    Moneyball
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Martha Macy May Marlene
    The Descendants
    Midnight in Paris

We also had potential out of the box nominees like A Separation, Poetry, Meek’s Cutoff, Shame, Certified Copy,

UGH….wasted potential!! 

I thought Poetry was eligible for 2010 not 2011? It’s a really great film.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Yeah by some stupid rule it wasn’t eligible for Best Foreign Film. SMH. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Had the erudite faction made up the vast majority of academy members, I believe The Tree of Life would have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Some of my favourite films ever came out in 2011, but only three of the Best Picture nominees deserved their slots.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Some of my favourite films ever came out in 2011, but only three of the Best Picture nominees deserved their slots.

Don’t keep us in suspense. Haha which three?

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t believe The Help is winning the poll. Seriously, where’s your taste?

ReplyCopy URL
    Goran CRO
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Hugo
    2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
    3. Midnight in Paris
    4. Moneyball
    5. The Help
    6. The Descendants
    7. War Horse
    8. The Tree of Life
    9. The Artist

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Best Picture 2011

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.