Best Production Design 2016/17 Thread

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Production Design 2016/17 Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 1684 views, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jack Burroughs manakamana 4 months ago.

• GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

(I’m assuming there isn’t a thread for this yet)

This weekend I watched two movies that I believe will stand a great chance of making it into our final 5 for Production Design.

First was Arrival. I can totally see the Academic not resisting looking cool by nominating this one. Quite frankly, it’s probably the most interesting aspect of that film.

Then I saw Park Chan-wook‎’s The Handmaiden. The movie has already been released in the US, got amazing reviews and was a remarkable arthouse box office hit. It is in the line of past foreign film nominees in this category too. I definitely think it’s happening.

What are the other contenders? Silence, La La Land, Jackie, Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts, Rules Don’t Apply… what else?

Share your thoughts.

Brennan Merone
    Participant
    Topics:

1. La La Land

2. Silence

3. Jackie

4. Fantastic Beasts

5. Rules Don’t Apply

—————————–

6. Live By Night

7. The Jungle Book

8. Rogue One

9. Arrival

10. Hacksaw Ridge

PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

I currently have:

La La Land

Silence

Fantastic Beasts

Live By Night

Hail, Caesar!

Profile photo of Andrew CardenAndrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Right now, I like La La Land, Silence, Jackie, Rules Don’t Apply and Fantastic Beasts.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

Profile photo of VictorVictor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

La La land
    Silence
    Jackie
    Passengers
    Live by Night

Profile photo of Ernest Salazarpacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

1) La La Land
    2) Silence
    3) Jackie
    4) Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    5) They Live by Night (The set design looks spectacular in the trailer but I have a feeling this is going to get so-so reviews making it a very vulnerable choice.)

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Why is it that no one seems to believe in The Handmaiden?

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

People here also don’t seem confident in Arrival, which is a huge mistake.

Profile photo of Ernest Salazarpacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think it is also going to be nominated in other categories like costume design and foreign language film?

Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I would definitely put MISS PEREGRINE as more likely to earn a nod here than FANTASTIC BEASTS.  Tim Burton is 4-for-4 in this category (an Academy record), and the melding of fantasy environments and period settings is better done than the latest HP franchise installment, IMHO.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Filmatelist.
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think it is also going to be nominated in other categories like costume design and foreign language film?

It is not South Korea’s entry for Foreign Language Film, so it has no chance there.  This category and costuming has historically recognized more films from Asia than any other branches, so HANDMAIDEN’s best chances are these two.

Profile photo of jacob gitlinjacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Surprised more people aren’t considering Rogue One. Star Wars got in last year. Who knows if the love for this one will be enough to carry it to all those tech noms, though, or if all the Star Wars awards cred will dissipate after the first installment.

I currently have Jackie, La La Land, Silence, Rogue One, and Rules Don’t Apply

Not super confident about Rules Don’t Apply in any category, really – I am just not sure if Beatty love will get it over the hump of a so-so critical reaction so that voters will actually watch. Supposedly the costumes and production design are actually very good so…

Profile photo of JacobTeridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Surprised more people aren’t considering Rogue One. Star Wars got in last year. Who knows if the love for this one will be enough to carry it to all those tech noms, though, or if all the Star Wars awards cred will dissipate after the first installment.

I currently have Jackie, La La Land, Silence, Rogue One, and Rules Don’t Apply

Not super confident about Rules Don’t Apply in any category, really – I am just not sure if Beatty love will get it over the hump of a so-so critical reaction so that voters will actually watch. Supposedly the costumes and production design are actually very good so…

At the BAFTAs for Production Design, yes. But NOT at the Oscars, where Disney Wars’ 5 nominations were for Visual Effects, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Music Score, and still shockingly Film Editing.

Profile photo of HunterbergfeldHunterbergfeld
    Participant
    Topics:

T H E  J U N G L E  B O O K

PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Was thinking about both Arrival and Handmaiden but just not enough room for em. Think Hand maiden got better chance in costumes but couldn’t fit it in there either. It’s a really competitive year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Best Production Design 2016/17 Thread

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.