Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actor: 1978

Best Supporting Actor: 1978

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Best Supporting Actor: 1978
Richard Farnsworth (Comes a Horseman)
Gene Hackman (Superman)
John Hurt (Midnight Express)
John Savage (The Deer Hunter)
Christopher Walken (The Deer Hunter)
  • darthvader12
    Participant
    Topics:

These are my Best Supporting Actor nominees for 1978. Feel free to vote for your pick.

OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Walken earned his Oscar. I do think supporting actor nominations should have gone to Alan Bates in An Unmarried Woman and Michael Caine in California Suite.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, Walken, though I’m glad you included Savage. Farnsworth and Oscar nominees Bruce Dern and Jack Warden were terrific as well. And let’s of course not forget icons John Belushi in Animal House and Donald Pleasance in Halloween.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (2014) – Everything Is Awesome at the Oscars!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Walken tops my list of all-time ‘best’ SA.

I’ll put a word in for Sam Shepard and Robert J Wilke, from Days of Heaven. I also like the ensemble from California Suite and would have loved to see someone (Michael Caine) get some notice.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a great year. I love Walken too but for some reason Savage’s screams of fear when they are locked in that cage really haunt and stay with me.

On the ligher side yes, I love Michael Caine and Gene Hackman in those roles.

Have you done 1978 supporting actress yet?

I’d love to see your opinions there.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

My pick would really be Bruce Dern in Coming Home but out of these John Hurt in Midnight Express, a movie I think unfairly has been forgotten in time. It’s a superb movie (better than The Deer Hunter too). Michael Caine definitely should have been nominated too

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

My pick would really be Bruce Dern in Coming Home but out of these John Hurt in Midnight Express, a movie I think unfairly has been forgotten in time. It’s a superb movie (better than The Deer Hunter too).

I agree that Midnight Express is a well made film. Some of its images are haunting.

However, while the director Alan Parker built a homoerotic undercurrent, the film ultimately disavows the true story of Billy Hayes and his homosexuality while exaggerating and glorifying the violence of the prison.

Those choices may have played well in that era, but they now leave the film with the aura of intentionally dishonest storytelling.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.