Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actor 1999 – Without Christopher Plummer & John Malkovich

Best Supporting Actor 1999 – Without Christopher Plummer & John Malkovich

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Sab21
    Topics:

Some days ago, I’ve rewatched The Cider House Rules for which Michael Caine won his second Oscar. It isn’t his best performance ever, but I think it was a nice, subtle and heartfelt performance with some funny moments. I’ve always had the feeling that his win wasn’t one of the more beloved wins and I myself – although I really liked his performance – would say there are several better winners in that category. It was probably quite a narrow race as all of the other nominees won something. He was up against (or: Up against him were…):
    Tom Cruise in Magnolia (he won the Golden Globe among some Critics awards and I suppose a lot of people back then thought that this year might have been his chance)
    Michael Clark Duncan in The Green Mile (he won the Ciritcs’ Choice Award)
    Jude Law in The Talented Mr. Ripley (he won the BAFTA)
    Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense (quite successful with Ciritics Awards)

It has been some years since I have seen The Green Mile and The Sixth Sense, so it is difficult for me to judge HOW good Duncan & Osment actually were, but I’d say all of the nominees had some good moments that justify a nomination. 

Still, it’s difficult for me to pick a REALLY good winner (maybe Cruise?). I think the two Best Supporting Actor performances that year were given by John Malkovich in Being John Malkovich, who was absolutely hilarious, and Christopher Plummer in The Insider. Both won and were nominated for some Critics Awards but still, they weren’t successful with SAG, Globes, BAFTA and the Oscars. It baffles me a bit that they were overlooked although their movies were quite successful in other categories (but then again the actual nominees’ movies were also nominated in several categories). 

So what do you think? Is Michael Caine a weak winner? Who would you have chosen? And what do you think of Plummer and Malkovich? 

benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

For me, Jude Law was electric in Ripley and deserved the award. I had trouble with Caines accent slipping in a few scenes. Cruise was a good alternate. The other 2 had little chance. I enjoyed Plummer and I thought he’d get a spot instead of Duncan. I didn’t care for Malkovich in a classic about him Lol. I thought it was lightweight and gimmicky.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Caine’s performance was good, but not the best of the year. He merited the nomination, but Michael Clarke Duncan should absolutely have won. Had he not given such an engaging and powerful performance, the entire movie would have failed. Instead, it’s one of my top 5 favourite films from that decade, and one of my favourites overall. I enjoyed The Cider Hoise Rules, but it really doesn’t hold up as a classic. Instead, it seems like a blemish on that Best Picture lineup considering that 1999 was such a fantastic year for films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Caine’s win in 1999 was one of the weakest wins ever in that category. The other four nominees were easily better- and my vote would have gone to Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense, which redefined the PG-13 horror film and overall genra of “twist” movies. If not Osment, then Law definitely. The fact that Caine had already won before also made his win puzzling; I feel his win was more of a campaign gamble; in 1999 DreamWorks was trying to win Best Picture for American Beauty (since they lost the year before), and because Miramax (who beat them in 1998 with Shakespeare in Love) didn’t have anything BUT Cider House Rules, the wins for that film were more of a validation so voters wouldn’t feel embarrassed in case the movie won. It also won Adapted Screenplay. The similar thing happened in 2012 when Argo won over superior movies like Lincoln and Life of Pi. Unlike Argo, Cider House Rules had mediocre reviews.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

Jason……….Glad to see you back. A pleasure for me personally to read such a smart OSCAR poster!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if they were so keen to give Caine a second Oscar partly because he didn’t show up the first time due to filming Jaws: The Revenge. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Maybe they just really wanted to see him give a speech (and to be fair, he gave one killer of a speech). Honestly I haven’t seen The Cider House Rules, but he’d have to be amazing to be more deserving than Tom Cruise’s career-best turn in Magnolia.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Cruise

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Should’ve been Cruise. Or Osment.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Out of the line up, Duncan was my favorite performance but of that year it was between Chris Cooper “American Beauty” and Christopher Plummer “The Insider” 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Jason……….Glad to see you back. A pleasure for me personally to read such a smart OSCAR poster!!!!

Hug Awwww that’s very nice of you! Good to see you around here too. I hopefully will be doing some video predictions again this year with myself actually live on camera and intertwine it with clips. I have been gone for a while- usually I start coming back around this time of year. Oscars are my thing!

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom Cruise gave one of the greatest performances nominated in this category ever, and he should’ve won it easily. Anyone who chooses any of the other four over him either haven’t seen Magnolia or are making a grave mistake. It is just simply amazing work, and he should’ve won.

Jude Law will win an Oscar eventually, Haley Joel Osment has just become another faded child star, Caine is already over-rewarded, and as much as I love him and he was very good, Michael Clarke Duncan was a once-off nomination, and unfortunately he’ll never get a chance to enter the race again, because he’s no longer with us.

But there is no way in hell that Cruise will ever be able to top Magnolia, and even though he is still a fantastic movie star and his films are of exceptional quality, the last decade has been just action films for him, with the exception of failed bait Lions for Lambs, cringe-worthy musicial Rock of Ages and the brilliant Tropic Thunder, which I would’ve nominated him for.

Caine’s Oscar should have Tom Cruise’s name on it, without any doubt.

ReplyCopy URL
    Asgaroth
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Clarke Duncan should have won this easily. He was the soul of that movie.
    And Chris Cooper should have been a nominee for American beauty too.

The fact that Caine had already won before also made his win puzzling; I feel his win was more of a campaign gamble; in 1999 DreamWorks was trying to win Best Picture for American Beauty (since they lost the year before), and because Miramax (who beat them in 1998 with Shakespeare in Love) didn’t have anything BUT Cider House Rules, the wins for that film were more of a validation so voters wouldn’t feel embarrassed in case the movie won. It also won Adapted Screenplay. The similar thing happened in 2012 when Argo won over superior movies like Lincoln and Life of Pi. Unlike Argo, Cider House Rules had mediocre reviews.

That’s a very interesting theory, moreover I think it is a fact regarding to Argo. That it won best adapted screenplay over the much more masterful Lincoln (or even SLP) was beyond my comprehension; the only plausible reason is since members of the Academy wanted (for some previously consensus reason, call it “Ben Affleck best director snub pity”) to give it best picture and knowing it couldn’t just win that and nothing else (which would have been embarrassing), chose to give it adapted screenplay too. I hate this practices. Awards should be given on the basis of merit, not used as validation arguments. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Benbraddock”]

Hug Awwww that’s very nice of you! Good to see you around here too. I hopefully will be doing some video predictions again this year with myself actually live on camera and intertwine it with clips. I have been gone for a while- usually I start coming back around this time of year. Oscars are my thing!
    [/quote]

I’m not the only one who is going to hold you to that one, ‘cruise boy’. Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.