Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 1973

Best Supporting Actress 1973

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • keithw
    Topics:

On this site I was looking at the “biggest” or “most surprising” losses such as Richard Burton for “Who’s Afraid of Virgina Woolf”.  However, Linda Blair was listed for losing to Tatum O’Neal.  In that race, if I recall correctly, Sylvia Sidney was the frontrunner for “Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams”.  Other nominees included Candy Clark in “American Graffiti” and (my choice) Madeline Kahn in “Paper Moon”.  Anyone have any remembrances or thoughts?  I know Tatum O’Neal (for “Paper Moon”) was a surprise but I didn’t think Linda Blair was the frontrunner for “The Exorcist”.  I figure the final voting went like this:  O’Neal, Sidney, Blair, Kahn, Clark

Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

Blair’s chances were doomed when Mercedes McCambridge blasted William Friedkin and the producers for omitting her from the credits after dubbing Blair’s voice.  I heard Sylvia Sidney was royally pissed to find that she had lost to a 10 year old.

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

Sylvia Sidney was not the front runner..it was the year
    of the kids…BLAIR VS ONEAL…it was an easy win for
    Tatum besting her costar and the other 3 actresses…she
    was easily the star of her film and category fraud by demoting
    her to supporting helped her…

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve never read that Sylvia  Sidney was the frontrunner and I don’t think that she was because the film doesn’t seem like  enough Oscar voters would watch it.   From what I’ve read, I agree with Milk Money  that  Blair had no chance  after  it got out about Mercedes McCambridge.   I’ve never heard that O’Neal was favored, but  Benbraddock is right that her acually being the lead  of her film helped her beat her compeition which wasn’t very strong.   My guess is that Kahn  came in second, ,  then Sydney, then Blair, then Clark.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.