Best Supporting Actress 1975

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Supporting Actress 1975

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Tariq Khan
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking back at the Best Supporting Actress race of 1975 – the
    nominees were:

Ronee Blakley in “Nashville,” Lee Grant in “Shampoo,” Sylvia
    Miles in “Farewell My Lovely,” Lily Tomlin in “Nashville” and Brenda Vaccaro in
    “Once Is Not Enough”

Lee Grant was the winner.

The feeling by many has always been that Blakley and Tomlin
    split the “Nashville” vote, and Grant squeaked through.

If that’s the case, which “Nashville” actress do you think
    finished in second place?

And would you guess that if Blakley or Tomlin had been the
    only “Nashville” actress in the category, either one would have won over Grant?
    Which one would get your vote?

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

No if it were a solo Blakley and a big maybe if it were Tomlin (lol).

I certainly dont begrudge Grant’s win and with Robert Towne writing for Shampoo, well, he’s a marvel imo.

If it were up to me, Nashville, which appears to be quite a divisive film, wins Director,  Supporting Actress, Song, a Screenplay win for Joan Tewkesbury, at the very least.

Cuckoo’s Nest is phenomenal and deserved to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I think they liked Shampoo enough to give it an acting win.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Lee Grant benefited from her previous nominations and her persistent determination for her career to survive the blacklisting of McCarthyism. Voters were sympathetic. In addition, she was terrific in the film. I believe these gave Grant the edge to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Topics:

I think Lily Tomlin would have won had she been the sole nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I always thought Lily Tomlin was the frontrunner. She was certainly dressed that night for a coronation. But I think you’re correct, Grant benefited from vote splitting, sympathy for her blacklist history and more populist support for “Shampoo.” And they both lost the Golden Globe to Brenda Vaccaro, of all people! 

Tomlin and Blakely both give two of my favorite performances ever in this category, but what Tomlin does during “I’m Easy” makes her my ever so slight preference. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Pavel Romanov
    Topics:

Lee Grant was considered overdue plus she had to go through the rather horrendous experience of winding up on the blacklist, not because she was a communist but because her husband supposedly was. She does the best she can with a very shrill part that is written very unsympathetically. And the character disappears almost totally for the last 40 or so minutes and I for one didn’t miss her.

Vacarro, despite being very good, was in a totally trashy, pot boiler of a movie. Tomlin and Blakley were also very good but they were small pieces of a very large and excellent movie which contained a cornucopia of great supporting parts, especially Barbara Baxley, Geraldine Chaplin, Barbara Harris and Henry Gibson.

Personally, I would’ve preferred Julie Christie for Shampoo.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Lee Grant was considered overdue plus she had to go through the rather horrendous experience of winding up on the blacklist, not because she was a communist but because her husband supposedly was. She does the best she can with a very shrill part that is written very unsympathetically. And the character disappears almost totally for the last 40 or so minutes and I for one didn’t miss her.

Vacarro, despite being very good, was in a totally trashy, pot boiler of a movie. Tomlin and Blakley were also very good but they were small pieces of a very large and excellent movie which contained a cornucopia of great supporting parts, especially Barbara Baxley, Geraldine Chaplin, Barbara Harris and Henry Gibson.

When I read your post, I thought I had written it. Lol. Great that you appreciate Nashville, one of my all-time favorites and yet, there are more than a few who cannot make it through the film.

And I concur re Julie Christie. She’s sublime. She’s got a great cameo in Nashville as well, and I loved seeing her. The comment from Karen Black in the film about her is hilarious.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

The odd thing is 4 Nashville actresses were nominated for the golden globe……and Brenda Vacarro ended up winning.  

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Both Ms. Christie and fellow Shampoo co-star Goldie Hawn were contenders for Best Actress. Each was nominated in that category at the Golden Globes

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Julie (one nomination per decade) Christie should have won a second Oscar here for Best Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 1975

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.