Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress: 1976

Best Supporting Actress: 1976

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Best Supporting Actress: 1976
Jane Alexander (All the President's Men)
Jodie Foster (Taxi Driver)
Lee Grant (Voyage of the Damned)
Piper Laurie (Carrie)
Beatrice Straight (Network)
  • darthvader12
    Participant
    Topics:

These are the Best Supporting Actress nominees for 1976. Feel free to vote for your pick.

Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Laurie all the way, though I don’t terribly mind the Straight win. She’s terrific too but Laurie is certainly the more iconic, unforgettable and mesmerizing performance.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (2005) – Give Dolly an Oscar Already!!

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

this is a pretty great year.

All five of those performances are pretty great.

Laurie is really kind of a legendary performance but I like Straight too. Great example of “there are no small parts just small actors.” Straigt goes thru a whole range of emotions and story in that little scene and it is almost like a little one act play. She gives a totally complete performance.

PLUS they are all supporting performances. Not leads sneaking into the lesser category!

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

So hard but I went with Laurie. She was truly incredible. She made Monique in Precious look like Mary Poppins.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember at the time (I was in university) I really liked Lee Grant in “Voyage of The Damned” (she won the previous year when I would have picked Lily Tomlin in “Nashville”)…..now looking back I think Beatrice Straight deserved her Oscar. It’s a short performance but wow….what a performance!

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t have proof, but I’ll bet there were masses of voters who didn’t watch Carrie. They probably heard it was a high-school horror and balked. Otherwise Piper Laurie just seemed like such a winner: a classic mad mom role, played by an actress returning to the screen following a 15-year absence after The Hustler. It should have been the perfect narrative, and yet she looses to a performance barely lasting five minutes? It just doesn’t add up, no matter how moving Beatrice Straight’s scene was. Anyway, I think Laurie might be the second greatest loser in this category I’ve seen, after Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Alexander’s performance is also very short, right? No much longer than Straight’s.

It’s an AMAZING category, I pick Miss Laurie, but Straight and Foster were very good.

ReplyCopy URL
    jamiepg88
    Participant
    Topics:

Alexander’s performance is also very short, right? No much longer than Straight’s.

It’s an AMAZING category, I pick Miss Laurie, but Straight and Foster were very good.

Yes Alexander has I think two relatively brief scenes and her character doesn’t even get a name. The fact that Straight was somehow given even less to work with and makes such an impact is amazing but I too couldn’t resist voting for Laurie

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Straight’s performance is so complete.

In a few minutes she goes through and entire range of emotions and even comes to a conclusion of sorts. She gives the scene a total emotional structure. Pretty great stuff.

ReplyCopy URL
    clay bryce
    Participant
    Topics:

No contest. Jodie Foster.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.