Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 1999

Best Supporting Actress 1999

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

I personally think the Academy got it right by going with Angelina Jolie. I thought she stole the film and humanized what could’ve easily been a crazed caricature. Although Catherine Keener and Chloe Sevigny give her a run for her money.  I love that Toni Collette is an Oscar nominee, but other than her one big car scene, I felt her character was mostly in the background. Then again, it’s been ages since I saw that movie. Haven’t seen Morton, though. 

So my pick would be Jolie. But how about you folks? 

manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Sevigny’s one of my all-time favorite performances in this category. I’d rank them her, Keener, Morton, Jolie and Collette but I think they’re all great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Asgaroth
    Participant
    Topics:

I also think the Academy got it right with Jolie, but I wouldn’t have minded if Collete won. Many actors have won oscars for having stole the show in just a few scenes, and I see no problem in that. And Collette’s interpretation manages to make that car scene so emotionally devastating the first time you see it that for me she would have been a good winner too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gone_Guy
    Topics:

Definitely Angelina Jolie. 

It stinks Cameron Diaz wasn’t nominated. I would take out Samantha Morton and give it to Diaz. But that isn’t fair to Morton since I haven’t seen “Sweet and Lowdown.” I’ll watch it then evaluate where I would place Diaz.  

This is always the category that makes me wonder about Annette Bening. Many (not me) have said she should have been supporting for “American Beauty.” But even if she had gone Supporting, I still would have ranked Jolie first. Besides, Thora Birch and especially Mena Suvari had the true supporting characters of the film.  

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I think Bening is completely supporting for American Beauty.  She shoulda been here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Definitely Angelina Jolie. 

It stinks Cameron Diaz wasn’t nominated. I would take out Samantha Morton and give it to Diaz. But that isn’t fair to Morton since I haven’t seen “Sweet and Lowdown.” I’ll watch it then evaluate where I would place Diaz.  

This is always the category that makes me wonder about Annette Bening. Many (not me) have said she should have been supporting for “American Beauty.” But even if she had gone Supporting, I still would have ranked Jolie first. Besides, Thora Birch and especially Mena Suvari had the true supporting characters of the film.  

I saw both movies and Cameron Diaz should have been nominated over Samantha Morton, without a doubt, or even Catherine Keener. Diaz was my MVP of the movie. My top 3 of that year were Jolie, Diaz and Collette. Morton was occassionally great and good overall but it was the weakest female performance directed by Woody Allen to be rewarded with nomination. Still, not among the worst ever.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

WOW, folks, haven’t you seen Boys Don’t Cry?
    Chloe Sevigny runs circles around Jolie’s unfocused performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Weird category. One of those cases when you want all 5 women to be winners either at this ceremony or later. My vote still goes to Jolie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, maybe it’s just from seeing it semi-recently, but I would definitely go with Chloe Sevigny. Swank might’ve gotten more attention for her performance, but Sevigny keeps up with her every step of the way and makes Lana a very compelling character.

Jolie isn’t a bad winner, though. She elevates a film that I didn’t really care for.

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

Personally the only two I feel earned the nomination were Jolie and Sevigny. Collette didn’t make much on an impression on me in Sixth Sense. Morton has never appealed to me as an actress and in her film she’s there but other then that the performance didn’t do much for me. Keener was great but if I was going to nominate and reward someone frrom that film it’s Cameron Diaz who has never been better and she’s my win for the year 1999. Some other women I wish had been nominated are Paltrow who followed up her oscar win with this frightened performance that has always appealed to me in this wonderful film that should have hit it big but didn’t. Julianne Moore was the female standout in the entire Magnolia cast and should’ve received her first double nominations in 1999. I picked Sevigny from the lineup but Diaz was my preference for the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

All deserving noms….

I went with Samantha Morton. She has never disappointed me, ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Angelina’s Oscar win is one of my personal favorites in this category, so she easily gets my vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    GraemeONeil
    Participant
    Topics:

Another odd Catherine Keener nomination. Diaz should have been nominated. (Just as Bullock should have been nominated for playing Harper Lee when Keener was nominated for Capote).

Jolie absolutely deserved this win. It was a blazing performance. Still her best work ever.

Collette was the only other truly worthy nominee.

Morton, Sevigny. Meh. 

ReplyCopy URL
    zordon
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it was a great year for supporting actresses. I’m ok with Jolie taking OScar home, but Sevigny was my favorite that year, I found her profiundly moving. Keener and Morton on the other hand were hilarious, while Collette was the most surprising nominee to me. I’m happy she’s Oscar nominee, but I still can’t believe she got over Diaz (in her best work), Birch and Suvari (no way in hell Bening was supporting!), Moore and Blanchett.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah I am critical about Cameron Diaz but she was magnificent in Being John Malkovich. Angelina Jolie would still be my pick with these 5 but some other people I would have nominated would be Julianne Moore “Magnolia”, Thora Birch “American Beauty”, and Erykah Badu “The Cider House Rules”. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.