Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2000…Who Should've Won?

Best Supporting Actress 2000…Who Should've Won?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
jasonface
Philip
Joe Burns
Best Supporting Actress 2000…Who Should've Won?
Judi Dench - Chocolat
Marcia Gay Harden - Pollock
Kate Hudson - Almost Famous
Frances McDormand - Almost Famous
Julie Walters - Billy Elliot
  • Alijah Purdy
    Participant
    Topics:

This seemed to be another weird year for this category. Just a recap:

Kate Hudson won most of the early critic awards, including the Golden Globe.
    Judi Dench won the SAG.
    Julie Walters won the BAFTA.
    Marcia Gay Harden won the NY Film Critics, then did not win a single critic award (and only went on to be nominated for 2 more), before being nominated and winning the Oscar.

So, what happened? Was Harden expected to win that night? Was it as wide-open as it looked on paper?

TheRedBoy
    Participant
    Topics:

I think I prefer Dench, Hudson, and McDormand’s performances over Harden’s, but I’m not actually sure who I would choose as winner.

Also haven’t seen Walters’s film yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beastialg
    Participant
    Topics:

From what I remember Hudson was the clear frontrunner until SAG Awards which Dench got it. It became more of an open race but still with Hudson as a soft frontrunner. Gay Harden was a surprise win even though there was a rumour circulating that if she got the nom she could posibly get the win.

She really was the most deserving, even though she was borderline lead in Pollock. My ranking:

Marcia Gay Harden – Pollock
    Julie Walters – Billy Elliot
    Frances McDormand – Almost Famous
    Kate Hudson – Almost Famous
    Judi Dench – Chocolat

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Beastialg.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

The crazy thing is that if Ellen Burstyn went supporting for Requiem for a Dream, she might have been an easy winner. IIRC the distributor thought that a Best Actress win would generate more profits than a Supporting win. Too bad because no one was beating Julia that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

McDormand was great in Almost Famous, but she should’ve been nominated for Wonder Boys instead. Hudson was also really good. Possibly a career best for her. Harden deserved the win. She was fantastic ii Pollock. I know that she was basically a co-lead in the film, but Roberts was unbeatable. Walters was great as well. Dench was good, but the weakest of the bunch IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beastialg
    Participant
    Topics:

The crazy thing is that if Ellen Burstyn went supporting for Requiem for a Dream, she might have been an easy winner. IIRC the distributor thought that a Best Actress win would generate more profits than a Supporting win. Too bad because no one was beating Julia that year.

Burstyn in supporting would have been category fraud. She was the lead in Requiem From a Dream with Jared Leto. Jennifer Connelly should have been nominated instead of half the actual nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Milo Kunis
    Participant
    Topics:

Marcia Gay Harden was just as much of a lead in her film as Burstyn was in Requiem. But I digress: Marcia rightfully won. Hudson was the frontrunner and that season’s pretty young thing. The race shifted out of Hudson’s corner when Dench took the SAG. Many people still expected Hudson to prevail, as there was no strong alternative. Dench had just recently won, and was not going to win again with such a lightweight film, charming as it may have been. Harden was a huge surprise, and living proof of what happens when voters actually watch their screeners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Keep in mind, Harden was initially pushed Lead for Pollock, that is until her NYFCC win in Supporting, at which point SPC moved her down into that category (and all but did away with their initial Supporting campaign for Amy Madigan).

Hudson was indeed the front-runner, albeit a soft one. The Dench SAG victory was widely seen as a makeup win. Walters was the Brit who looked like the greater threat to Hudson but the Jamie Bell snub made that seem less likely. McDormand, while not completely out, never looked like a real threat.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Walters
    2. McDormand
    3. Hudson
    4. Dench
    5. Harden

A better lineup

1. Walters
    2. McDormand
    3. Zhang (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
    4. McDormand (Wonder Boys)
    5. Connelly (Requiem for a Dream)

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Would have loved a Hudson win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Royal Night
    Participant
    Topics:

To me the real missed opportunity was not nominating Elaine May for Small Time Crooks.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

The right person won.

I can’t imagine Kate Hudson not thinking she was winning that night. Poor girl. Although who would want to win with that awful hair and dress and let that be one of the greatest most remembered pictures of your career/life?

ReplyCopy URL
    Alijah Purdy
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s too bad, because we haven’t seen Hudson come close to an Oscar nomination since. Plus she’s really fallen off the map in recent years too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Hudson was the favorite, but the race was not a slam dunk for her at the time. I think she was the winner in many people’s eyes because of lack of competition: Dench won SAG, sure, but she had never won there before and just won the Oscar for Shakespeare In Love two years earlier and Chocolat was not liked enough by the Academy to warrant a “spread the wealth win” by giving her the Oscar(I.E Tilda Swinton’s win seven years later). Walters won BAFTA, but she really didn’t have enough buzz to take home the award. McDormand had just won for Fargo, so there was a perception that there was no rush to reward her again. And then with Harden, people did not think the film was widely seen enough and underestimated her chances due to the film not being a strong Oscar contender, especially compared with these films. I think what swung it in Harden’s favor was the largeness of the role(an asset in winning this category) and the dramatic, meaty nature of it especially because she was playing “the long suffering wife”, a role that’s almost always an Awards magnet. At the age of 21, Hudson was extremely young at the time and the Academy thought that they’d have other chances to honor her in the future(although it’s hard to see why today with what we’ve seen of Hudson’s career since then). I also think McDormand stole some votes from her by fans of Almost Famous given how good she is in the role and her performance in Wonder Boys that year. If McDormand was not in the picture, Hudson would have likely won.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

Rankings of performances nominated..

1. Kate Hudson, Almost Famous
    2. Julie Walters, Billy Elliot
    3. Frances McDormand, Almost Famous
    4. Marcia Gay Harden, Pollock
    5. Judi Dench, Chocolat

My personal nominations..

1. Jennifer Connelly, Requiem for a Dream
    2. Samantha Morton, Jesus’ Son
    3. Kirsten Dunst, The Virgin Suicides
    4. Amanda Peet, The Whole Nine Yards
    5. Kate Hudson, Almost Famous

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 2000…Who Should've Won?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.