Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2007: The toughest race EVER?

Best Supporting Actress 2007: The toughest race EVER?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
Tye-Grr
dannyboy.
babypook
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

The nominees were:

Cate Blanchett – I’m Not There as Jude Quinn
    Ruby Dee – American Gangser as Mama Lucas
    Saoirse Ronan – Atonement as Briony Tallis
    Amy Ryan – Gone Baby Gone as Helen McCready
    Tilda Swinton – Michael Clayton as Karen Crowder (*Oscar*)

One of the hardest decision of the Oscar history?

I mean the industry couldn’t make the perfect choice at all. Or at least it was pretty tough for them.

Blanchett won the Golden-Globe.
    Dee won the SAG.
    Ryan won the BFCA and several critics awards.
    Swinton won the BAFTA.
    Ronan did not win big awards but probably was the only chance for Atonement to win a main Oscar that year.

What do you think of this race?

dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the Academy got it right.. BUT, I probably enjoyed Blanchett’s performance more than most on this site who found her too gimmicky. I was just floored that she took that role on and damn near pulled it off!

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

My ranking of the nominees:

1. Amy Ryan, ‘Gone Baby Gone’
    2. Tilda Swinton, ‘Michael Clayton’
    3. Saoirse Ronan, ‘Atonement’
    ———————————————–
    4. Cate Blachett, ‘I’m Not There’
    5. Ruby Dee, ‘American Gangster’

All five were quite good, but I would’ve taken out both Dee and Blanchett and replaced them with Jennifer Garner for ‘Juno’ and Leslie Mann for ‘Knocked Up’. Then my ranking would’ve been:

1. Amy Ryan
    2 Tilda Swinton
    3. Jennifer Garner
    4. Leslie Mann
    5. Saoirse Ronan

That would’ve been a great lineup.

As far as the Academy goes, I think it was really only ever between Ryan and Swinton, with Dee being the dark horse veteran.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

In my very humble opinion (lol), this is not the toughest choice ever even in living memory, and even if I were still in  grade school.

It became evident, almost at the eleventh hour but certainly a tad before then, that Michael Clayton was going to win something, particularly with the quality of the film, and the high profile people behind the scenes attached to it. Why not the always fabulous Tilda Swinton?

And no offense Tye, but I find Leslie Mann one of the most annoying actors out there working today, with no range and no appeal whatsoever. And, possibly a minority opinion, but Jennifer Garner bugs the heck out of me as well, and I’m very very glad she wasnt nominated for Juno. The only nomination I was ok with in that film was Ellen Page’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

It seems obvious today that Tilda Swinton would win. And her will was well-deserved. She stole that movie from right under George Clooney’s handsome nose.

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

Mann drives me nuts too, especially in work by her husband. Her voice is very grating.. I agree with the sentiment toward Jennifer Garner and the not-mentioned Alison Janney in Juno. To me, they were the film’s best performances. Is Alison Janney ever going to be nominated for an Oscar or is she just going to steal every single film she’s in (even animated ones)?!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Call me crazy but my personal winner this year was Imelda Staunton for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix! Also I nominated Swinton, Garner, Blunt (The Jane Austen Book Club) and Ronan.

I agree that Swinton deserved this award. She was overdue for it. So sad that she did not come back to the race ever since. Is that a curse of 2007? I mean both Marion and Tilda won that year and they couldn’t manage a nomination ever since, not even for their Oscar-worthy roles (Tilda: “Julia” “We Need to Talk About Kevin” “I Am Love”Marion: “Nine” “Inception”).

Well, at least Marion will probably make it next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Trent
    Topics:

This race is not that hard if you think about it. Swinton’s win is even rather obvious if you consider all the factors that led up to it.

Ruby Dee only won the SAG because, since the SAG Awards have only been around for less than 20 years, they ALWAYS reward acting veterans whenever the opportunity is given (i.e. back-to-back wins for Betty White for Hot in Cleveland). She was not a factor in the Oscar race whatsoever.

Blanchett was in a movie where she played a character that was also played, in the same movie, by insanely talented actors like Christian Bale, Richard Gere and Heath Ledger (R.I.P.). Yes, Blanchett is also insanely talented and her performance acclaimed, but when other actors do the same thing as you (literally), it’s hard to stand out.

Saoirse Ronan gave one of the best child actor performances of the decade (right up there next to Keisha Castle-Hughes and Abigail Breslin) in the only film in the category that can be considered an “epic.” However, unlike Swinton and Ryan’s (getting to them in a minute) films, this was not the only category in which Atonement had a real shot at winning. It won Original Score and had a great chance at cinematography. Ronan wasn’t going to win.

Ryan gave what is in my opinion the best performance in the category, and she deserved to win. But there was no stopping Tilda Swinton. Swinton was the only foreign actress nominated in the category who had never won before (Ronan was born in the U.S.) in a year where every acting winner (as well as every pre-ceremony frontrunner) was foreign and multiple tech winners were foreign as well. Michael Clayton was well liked by the academy with 8 nominations, and it had to win somewhere (Gone Baby Gone was not). It was a clear loser in every other category, so by common sense Swinton had to take this. Not to mention, it was a great performance. Not as good as Ryan’s but still pretty good.

The rankings were:
    1. Swinton
    2. Ryan
    3. Ronan
    4. Blanchett
    5. Dee 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^It’s almost a tossup for me, as I thought Ryan and Swinton were both excellent. But I would’ve voted for Ryan.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Ruby Dee’s nomination was more ridiculous than Gloria Stuart’s nomination for Titanic. Although she wasn’t a likely nominee, Imelda Staunton was robbed for her spectacular performance as Umbridge. I would’ve replaced Dee with her and that would’ve been one hell of a lineup.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have voted for Ronan, but Ryan, Swinton and Blanchett were amazing. And I have to say, Blanchett was a stand-out playing the same character as the others, it was clear when the movie came out that people thought that she was the best.

Now, Rudy Bee? Really? 2007 was such a great year for Supporting Actress that it was a waste of slot. Kelly MacDonald, Vanessa Redgrave, Allison Janney, Jennifer Garner, Naomi Watts, Catherine Keener, Julia Roberts, Imelda Staunton and Emily Mortimer would have made more worthy nominees. Also, can someone clarify to me if Bonham Carter was supporting or lead that year in her FYC’s?

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Pretty sure with the Lead Globe nomination, Helena went lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Ruby Dee’s nomination was more ridiculous than Gloria Stuart’s nomination for Titanic. Although she wasn’t a likely nominee, Imelda Staunton was robbed for her spectacular performance as Umbridge. I would’ve replaced Dee with her and that would’ve been one hell of a lineup.

Thanks for being supportive about Staunton but I don’t think that Gloria Stuart’s nomination was ridiculous. She was amazing and was my personal favourite that year. Peace.

ReplyCopy URL
    iskolar
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll pretty much echo what my thoughts were this year. Swinton was more sure days before the Oscar, and while Ryan gave the better performance, Swinton was a solid alternate.

Dee was such a wasted nom, Ronan was good but not good enough, and Blanchett has just won.

Personal noms that year:

Garner, Juno
    Leigh, Margot at the Wedding
    Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
    Staunton, Harry Potter
    Swinton, Michael Clayton

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I kind of figured that Blanchett was the frontrunner when I was watching back in 2007, though that may have just been me being influenced by her Globe win (and I think the “We Pick the Winners” special that Richard Roeper and Michael Phillips did might have given that implication), so Swinton’s came as a pleasant surprise to me. I admit that when I watched Michael Clayton and Gone Baby Gone that I was kind of wishing that Swinton and Ryan (respectively) were onscreen for greater periods of time, but I was happy for either of them to win out (with Ryan as my slight preference).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 2007: The toughest race EVER?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.