Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2008- Who Deserved To Win?

Best Supporting Actress 2008- Who Deserved To Win?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
BenitoDelicias
Philip
Macca
Best Supporting Actress 2008- Who Deserved To Win?
Amy Adams in Doubt
Penelope Cruz in Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis in Doubt
Taraji P. Henson in The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Going into the race, Winslet seemed like the frontrunner with her GG win and Critics Choice win while former front runner Cruz seemed to be fading fast. But then Winslet was placed in Best Actress for The Reader and it paved the way for Cruz’s victory. She had the edge given her competition having too many things going against them: Davis could have prevailed, but she wasn’t well known enough in Hollywood at that time to win and it’s hard to win for a short performance. Tomei was great in The Wrestler, but there was no incentive to award her unfortunately and the Academy’s support for the film was weak(no Best Song nomination?!), not to mention Rourke was the one with all the buzz, not her. Adams and Henson didn’t have enough supporters. So Cruz triumphed given the Industry’s desire to reward her and being a scene stealing female in a Woody Allen film. Not to mention she’s so sexy in the role.

I wrongly picked Davis at the time since Cruz’s chances seemed weaker to me after Winslet’s sweep of the Supporting Actress awards. Davis seemed like a viable dark horse contender so I went with her. Too bad I got it wrong, but good for Cruz. She is talented. What do you think? Do you hate Cruz’s victory? Did you think she would win or did you pick Davis or Tomei? Did you think Amy Adams had a chance? Or even Henson? Do you think Rosemary Dewitt and Debra Winger deserved nods for Rachel Getting Married? Do you think Winslet belonged in this category for The Reader?

BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Rosemarie Dewitt? YES! She deserved that nomination. Over Henson in that lineup.

Cruz is a fine winner. I’m ok with that one. I think Davis would’ve made a fine winner and if things happened as they did after that ceremony, the she would definitely be a two time winner now and there’s nothing wrong with that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

I found Cruz completely overrated.

Davis, in her limited screentime, mopped the floor with everyone in this category. She should have 3 Oscars on her mantle.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Tomei
    2. Davis
    3. Adams
    4. Cruz
    5. Henson

A better lineup;

1. Tomei
    2. Upham (Frozen River)
    3. Wood (The Wrestler)
    4. Pinto (Slumdog Millionaire)
    5. Davis

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Viola Davis would have gotten my vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Tomei
    2. Davis
    3. Adams
    4. Cruz
    5. Henson

A better lineup;

1. Tomei
    2. Upham (Frozen River)
    3. Wood (The Wrestler)
    4. Pinto (Slumdog Millionaire)
    5. Davis

Yeah, Pinto and Wood would have been deserving of nods.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember being absolutely awe-struck by Viola Davis when I first saw her in Doubt. She really was far superior than her competition that year and I’m glad we’ve gotten to see so much more of her afterwards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

A rather blah category. Tomei stood out for me. Though I don’t Cruz or Davis being victors. DeWitt, Wood, Upham, Elkabetz (The Band’s Visit), Zylberstein (I’ve Loved You So Long) would have been fine nominees. They needed to step a bit out of the box that year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.