Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress – 2009: worst set of nominees ever?

Best Supporting Actress – 2009: worst set of nominees ever?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • RobertoTerra
    Participant
    Topics:

Obviously I’m not talking about Mo’Nique. She was the deserving winner. But the rest of the line-up could’ve been soooo much better.

The double set of nominees, Anna Kendrick and Vera Farmiga should’ve been replaced by the far superior performances of Diane Kruger and Melanie Laurent, in a far superior movie.
    The Nine spot should’ve gone to much better  Marion Cotillard
    And the last spot should’ve gone to another co-star of a Best Actor nominee: Julianne Moore!

Now that would have a hell of a line up!

Discuss! 

Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Monique did tower above her competition, but the Up In The Air girls were deserving nominees. Cruz was fine, but it felt repetitive and one dimensional, although watchable all the same. Gyllenhaal was mediocre, but I”ve seen worse. Moore was quite good, but a win would have been too much, given how short the role was. Never saw Inglorious Bastards though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

My nominees that year

Mo’Nique – Precious
    Vera Farmiga – Up in the Air
    Julianne Moore – A Single Man
    Melanie Laurent – Inglorious Basterds
    Betty White – The Proposal

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

I personally consider Melanie Laurent the lead of IB (she’s actually my personal winner…). In supporting I would have nominated Cotillard, Kendrick, Kruger, Moore and Monique with Monique taking it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

I personally consider Melanie Laurent the lead of IB (she’s actually my personal winner…). In supporting I would have nominated Cotillard, Kendrick, Kruger, Moore and Monique with Monique taking it.

ReplyCopy URL
    ConMan
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think I’ve seen enough movies from 2009 to make a definitive lineup, but I’ll tell you one thing.

Teri Hatcher in Coraline = ROBBED.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmys2011
    Participant
    Topics:

– Moore deserved a nomination.
    – Cruz did absolutely nothing in that movie other than look beautiful. Biggest wasted spot ever.
    – I adore Vera Farmiga and it makes me really happy she has an oscar nomination, but I was very underwhelmed by her in this.
    – Laurents omission is ridiculous, just ridiculous.
    – Kendrick was reall really great, but I wonder, had there been better competition I might have skiped on her nomination. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

While her role is impactful, her storyline is almost entirely apart from the rest of the movie. She is in the beginning and end, but otherwise separated. It’s kind of a De Niro in the Godfather performance. You could argue he was a lead, but he was considered supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Marion was the lead for her movie but I understand why people would say supporting but she campaigned for lead and was nominated at the Globes for Lead. If anyone from Nine should have been nominated for Nine I would have picked Judi Dench as the comic relief of her movie. Kendrick earned her nomination Farmiga was a nice one but nothing amazing. Gyllenhaal deserved her nomination but she was definitly lead. My 5 with knowing Cotillard is lead would have been:
    Monique “Precious” 
    Anna Kendrick “Up in the Air”
    Maggie Gyllenhaal “Crazy Heart”
    Paula Patton “Precious” 
    Mariah Carrey “Precious” 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, if two supporting actresses from the same film were going to be nominated, it should have been the two from Inglourious Basterds instead of the two Up in the Air ladies. But I guess all 4 could have gotten in if you remove Maggie Gyllenhaal and Penelope Cruz. Still, Melanie Laurent’s snub in particular is really sad.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

My personal choices were:

1. Mo’Nique, ‘Precious’
    2. Melanie Laurent, ‘Inglourious Basterds’
    3. Marion Cotillard, ‘Nine’
    4. Anna Kendrick, ‘Up In The Air’
    5. Vera Farmiga, ‘Up In The Air’

Close Calls (EDIT: I forgot Ms. Moore! Corrected it.):

6. Diane Kruger, ‘Inglourious Basterds’
    7. Julianne Moore ‘A Single Man’
    8. Paula Patton, ‘Precious’
    9. Beyoncé Knowles, ‘Cadillac Records’
    10. Penélope Cruz, ‘Nine’  

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think they are “the worst”. Everyone’s opinion is different. I just started to get into my Oscar interest after the 2009 nominees came in, so I don’t know who was in contention before, but I thought Natalie Portman deserved a nomination for Brothers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Mo’Nique winning makes up for most (if not all) of the deficiencies of this category. There are far worse supporting actress lineups than this one. But if I were to change this category up, I’d start by switching Penélope Cruz for Marion Cotillard for “Nine” if someone had to be nominated there. I would have only nominated Vera Farmiga from “Up in the Air” (nothing against Anna Kendrick). Maggie Gyllenhaal would have been so out for “Crazy Heart.” Replace her with either Julianne Moore for “A Single Man” or Samantha Morton for “The Messenger.” Then I’d have to have one of the ladies from “Inglorious Basterds” included. Mélanie Laurent had the more substantive role, but Diane Kruger surprised me more (and would continue to surprise me with her acting chops later on television with “The Bridge”). I think in the end, Laurent’s role was more iconic, so I’ll go with her of the two. Moore was probably number six on the real ballot due to status/name recognition, Cotillard campaigned in lead, and the “IB” ladies being lesser known. On another day, I might have swapped Cotillard with Morton.

Personal nominees:

Marion Cotillard, “Nine”

Vera Farmiga, “Up in the Air”

Mélanie Laurent, “Inglorious Basterds”

Mo’Nique, “Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire” (WIN!)

Julianne Moore, “A Single Man”

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Anna Kendrick, Up In The Air
    Vera Farmiga, Up in The Air
    Mélanie Laurent, Inglorius Basterds
    Mo’Nique, Precious
    Julianne Moore, A Single Man

How it should have been imo. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Actually I thought the best supporting actress of 2009 apart from Mo’Nique was the late Susanne Lothar in The White Ribbon. Haven’t seen Nine or Crazy Heart (but I’ve seen a clip of Day-Lewis in the former, and boy was he terrible); both Farmiga and Kendrick were deserving.

My personal lineup from what I’ve seen: 
    Vera Farmiga  Up in the Air
    Anna Kendrick  Up in the Air 
    Susanne Lothar  The White Ribbon
    Mo’Nique  Precious
    Julianne Moore  A Single Man

Melanie Laurent is borderline lead in Inglourious Basterds, I think.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress – 2009: worst set of nominees ever?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.