Best Supporting Actress 2013 Thread (Part Six)

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Supporting Actress 2013 Thread (Part Six)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 278 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

Continue the epic battle here

TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

I just hope that Jennifer Lawrence doesn’t win and I say this as the J-Law fan I am and not as a hater. This win will not bring her any good. She will have negative press about being too young to be a two-time Oscar winner. Besides, she won’t leave Academy’s radar so soon, she has some very baity roles and movies coming up and a lot of them are probably more worthy than this one.

ReplyCopy URL
    GermanGuidanceSystem
    Topics:

I just hope that Jennifer Lawrence doesn’t win and I say this as the J-Law fan I am and not as a hater. This win will not bring her any good. She will have negative press about being too young to be a two-time Oscar winner. Besides, she won’t leave Academy’s radar so soon, she has some very baity roles and movies coming up and a lot of them are probably more worthy than this one.

Completely agree.
    I think it must spell doom for her chances when J-Law’s own fans (I really like her too) aren’t rooting for her to win.

A c&p of what I wrote on Part Five of this series of threads (just before it was locked and began to free-fall off the page):

‘Of the nominees, I’d be happy with a win for either Lupita or June. I’d be ok with a win for Sally Hawkins or Julia Roberts.  

Although I like her, I’d be dismayed if Jennifer Lawrence won for her role in Hustle. Now, that would be a truly successful hustle!’

I think you’re right that there would be a backlash and the upcoming performances in ‘baity roles’ wouldn’t receive the critical / awards’ recognition that they may well deserve. 

Plus: she simply doesn’t deserve to win this year.  

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you! Thank god I’m not alone in this haha. I’ll be fine with either of the other four nominees winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

Personally, I really really really want Sally Hawkins to upset

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for June Squibb! She gave a great performance worthy of the win, and I think she is a lovely woman in person. Her acceptance speech would be delightful!

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Hasn’t winning Best Supporting Actress been a career killer since the turn of the millenium?

• Marcia
      Gay Harden – Received one more Oscar nomination but nothing since, when
      was the last time we heard about her? The Tonys in 2009? She has a
      Woody Allen film coming up this year but that’s about it.
    • Jennifer
      Connelly – House and Sand and Fog, Little Children and Blood Diamond
      have been her only critical successes since, and she was only a major
      presense in one of them. She will be in Noah this year and some indie
      film premiering at the Berlin fest Cillian Murphy and Melanie Laurent.
    • Catherine Zeta-Jones – Has basically done nothing but win a Tony and be married to Michael Douglas.
    • Renee
      Zellweger – Made one decent film (Cinderella Man) since her win, did a
      bunch of voiceover work and romantic comedies. Hasn’t made a film since
    • Cate Blanchett – An exception.
    • Rachel Weisz – Won
      some awards for The Deep Blue Sea and had a key role in a popular
      blockbuster (Oz the Great and Powerful) but that’s it.
    • Jennifer
      Hudson – Stepped out of the public eye for a while due to family trauma,
      but since returning has starred in critical bust after critical bust.
    • Tilda
      Swinton – Perhaps another exception, though it is notable how she has
      never returned to the Oscar race despite numerous acclaimed films and
      precursor nominations.
    • Penelope Cruz – Managed another
      nomination quickly after winning though she has not starred in an
      acclaimed film since her win, and some would argue since before her win.
    • Mo’Nique
      – Literally fell off the face of the Earth after winning. Has not
      starred in a film since and her talk show was cancelled quickly after
      her win. I don’t think she has made a public appearance since announcing
      the Oscar nominees in 2011.
    • Melissa Leo – Another exception,
      had prominent roles in Flight and Prisoners and was nominated for two
      Emmys (winning one) after winning the Oscar but, like Swinton, has not
      returned to an Oscar race yet. Actually has a major Oscar bait project
      called “I Fought the Law” coming up this year.
    • Octavia Spencer –
      A little too soon to tell, though she was briefly a factor in this
      years’ race for Fruitvale Station. Appearing this year in “Get on Up”
      and “Black and White.” Looks like she is on track to become an
      exception.
    • Anne Hathaway – Too soon to tell, though things are
      looking good with “Interstellar” and “Rio 2” coming this year. I’m
      skeptical though because shouldn’t this young, popular and talented
      actress have big Oscar bait projects lined up already like Jennifer
      Lawrence does?

Only 3 of the above actresses went on to
    receive another nomination after their win, and none of them have yet to
    win another Oscar (though Blanchett is poised to do so).

So
    yeah, it may be in Jen’s best interest to NOT win. Winning is probably
    in Squibb’s best interest, since her career most likely will never reach
    a higher point than it is at right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Penelope Cruz has a lot of acclaimed foreign films to her name (ex: “Volver”, “Broken Embraces”, “All About My Mother”, “Belle Epoque”, “Don’t Move”, “Live Flesh”, etc.) and has won major film awards in America, Spain and Italy. She also won best actress at Cannes. To say she lacks acclaimed films on her resume is ridiculous. It may be correct to say she has few acclaimed American films to her cedit besides “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” but her foreign credits are stellar.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

^I understand the argument you’re making but I think it’s not really fair to judge the success of an actors career based entirely on if they’ve gotten any more oscar noms. Penelope Cruz HAS gotten another nom, and is still a huge movie star.
    Marcia Gay Harden did get another nom, and no, she’s not a big movie star but she was most likely even less of one before she won the oscar. 
    Monique, yes, her career hasn’t really done much since, but that seems ot be mostly her own decision, I’m sure she got movie offers after Precious and just chose against them
    Rachel Weisz, not necessarily a huge A-Lister, but again she was probably even less of one before she won her oscar. And she got a few critics for Deep Blue Sea, getting into the oscar conversation, while still being able to star in blockbusters like Oz and Bourne Legacy
    Tilda Swinton, also still an acclaimed actress who has been in multiple successful movies and has gotten awards attention, so I don’t know if its fair to judge her career based on not getting anymore nominations 

I will give you Renee Zellweger, maybe Jennifer Connelly, and I guess Jennifer Hudson. but in the case of the latter she seems to be a bit of a limited actress who just lucked out in finding a role that she was absolutely perfect for, so her career as an actress was never going to be phenomenal 

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

^I didn’t mean to say that she has a bad filmography. I meant to say that many don’t consider Vicky Cristina Barcelona to be a good movie. It was unclear, I apologize. But yes, a lot of the foreign films she has been in (particularly her work with Almodovar) are phenomenal.

ReplyCopy URL
    endaugust
    Participant
    Topics:

Like it’s so easy to get an Oscar nom, even if you won one?  And if it’s bad for an Academy award winning actress to get good roles after their wins, it has to do with roles availability for women and their stock probably going up too high.  Before they win, they’d work for smaller film with more adventurous independent filmmakers.  Afterwards, it’s probably a lot harder to reach them and they’re aiming for higher caliber projects.

The “curse” also applies to Best Actresses as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

@endaugust: You’re focusing too much on the Oscar nomination aspect of the argument and not the point he’s actually trying to make: that recent supporting actress winners’ careers crash and burn quickly after winning the Oscar. Hell, Renee Zellweger (who was hugely popular at the time of her win) looks to have completely given up (or perhaps just completely failed) on being a “serious” actress. The “curse” isn’t not getting Oscar nominations, it’s a major slowdown in your career which CAN lead to not getting Oscar nominations.

It doesn’t apply to Best Actress. Recent Best Actress winners are still working in major projects consistently: Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep are obvious. Natalie Portman has Jane Got a Gun coming up, Sandra Bullock is still huge and a nominee this year. Kate Winslet has continued to appear in good films even if Oscar didn’t bite, Marion Cotillard has had one of the best post-Oscar careers of any actress, Helen Mirren is still sought after and received another nomination after winning (and came close to a second last year). Reese Witherspoon can still headline a film, Hilary Swank has a handful of projects coming up, Charlize Theron retired for a short amount of time but since she came back has worked consistently. Nicole Kidman made a lot of prestige films and did wind up coming back to the Oscars a few years later. Halle Berry is an exception, and Julia Roberts has continued to work, came close to a nod for Charlie Wilson and is back at the Oscars this year.

The real supporting actress “curse” is that winning supporting actress historically lowers your chances of winning lead actress significantly (only two have won lead after winning supporting in Oscar history, three when Cate Blanchett wins this March). Although many supporting actress winners do wind up getting lead nominations, they almost never win. And when previous lead winners win supporting after they win lead, they never win lead again (though that can be attributed to the rarity of third Oscars in general).

So in essence winning supporting actress can be viewed as somewhat of a career-fucker. I know that WordsCount has stronger feelings about this than me and would be the better person to explain it.

ReplyCopy URL
    mse
    Topics:

I don’t believe in any of these ‘curses’. Winning an Academy Award doesn’t ruin anyone’s career. A handful other factors do. Like some actresses who are viewed as the ‘victims’ of this ‘curse’ actually took some time off acting not long after they won to focus on their families for a while. Others never really had intriguing career choices before. And then there are those who entered that age bracket where roles come sparsely their way. And sometimes there can be a backlash when someone wins for a performance that’s viewed unworthy, but even that is mostly limited to the blogosphere.

The fact that this whole ‘curse’ thing became such a serious conversation topic among award experts is ridiculous.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

I never used the term “curse” – I just noted a recurring trend among recent winners. Entirely possible that its a coincidence – as you mentioned many of the above actresses had x-factors that stopped them from working – but it is still a trend nonetheless.

However, trends are made to be broken. Maybe wins by Hathaway and Lawrence will usher in an era of major movie stars winning the supporting categories.

Right now I still think Lupita is the frontrunner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beastialg
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Connelly has 40 acting credits from a 30 years old career. She has never been as prolific as other actresses her same age.

Also Her career was OK with only a few bright spots before her oscar win (like Gay Harden) and after that she become WAY more mainstream than before even with some duds on the road.

She also literally said a few times that she is more interested in being a good mother and being with her kids than being an A-list movie star (which might be the case for many female winners)

Renée on the other hand…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 278 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 2013 Thread (Part Six)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.