Best Supporting Actress 2014

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Supporting Actress 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Even though the 87th Oscars took place earlier this year, which of the Best Supporting Actress nominees do you think as held up the best since then?

For me, it’s Emma Stone whose performance plays to her strengths as a comedienne and a capable dramatic actress. Arquette’s performance is fine, but after repeat viewings of Boyhood, it didn’t have too much staying power. Laura Dern is hardly in Wild, Meryl Streep got in on the basis of being Meryl Streep, and Keira Knightley would actually be my runner-up behind Emma Stone. But she still wouldn’t make my personal lineup. 

My personal lineup:

Rose Byrne, Neighbors (runner-up)
    Carrie Coon, Gone Girl
    Kim Dickens, Gone Girl 
    Emma Stone, Birdman
    Tilda Swinton, Snowpiercer  (WINNER) 

Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve only seen Keira Knightly’s and Meryl Streep’s performance. I thought Keira did a great job and I understand why the academy has a bias for Meryl, she can act.  

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Stone was my favourite of those five on the night, and still is now. Admittedly, Dern is the only one I have seen since, and I was more impressed on that viewing than I was first time round. Still, Stone for me.

Although, Rene Russo was my personal pick for Nightcrawler.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

1. Keira Knightley
    — huge gap
    2. Meryl Streep
    3. Patricia Arquette
    4. Laura Dern
    5. Emma Stone

Four out of five didn’t even deserve to be nominated.

My personal list:
    1. Rima Te Wiata, Housebound
    2. Tilda Swinton, Snowpiercer
    3. Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
    4. Erica Rivas, Relatatos salvajes
    5. Jennifer Connelly, Noah

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Streep and Knightley deserved their nominations. The other three, hell no. Emma Stone wasn’t that great. Laura Dern was good in her part but didn’t really have the time to expand her character as much as I would’ve liked. Patricia Arquette was overtly basic, I hated the immense praise for her performance and her movie.

I’m very shocked that we agree on something.

Emma Stone was not good. Loved her in everything else, but in “Birdman”, Naomi Watts was the standout female performer. Patricia Arquette is overhyped (but I don’t hate her win, it’s a nice career acknowledgement) and Dern was barely on screen (she was good in a small cameo).

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

Patricia Arquette.
    Her acting is so authentic, isn’t it? Watching her character in the movie over the years was like watching my mom. Real and intimate. I’m sure a lot of people also felt that way. She was the most interesting thing in the movie although I do think her screentime in Boyhood obviously led an unfair race among her rivals.

Stone was cringeworhtly hammy in her Oscar clip. And there was barely anything from her in that movie, aside that really. Try harder next time. Or… the opposite of that.

Keira Knightley was in her irritating self like always. Nothing new. Still my second choice from this list, tho.

ReplyCopy URL
    MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

Emma Stone wasn’t even the best supporting actress in her own movie, let alone in this line-up.

ReplyCopy URL
    JabberCash
    Participant
    Topics:

Rene Russo in Nightcrawler and Jessica Chastain in a Most Violent Year deserved to be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Patricia Arquette is probably the only one that I thought really deserved the nomination, so I’m happy with her win.

Knightley is probably my second-favorite and not a bad nominee, though I don’t find the part itself that interesting. Happy for Dern to have received another Oscar nod, but I don’t feel like she’s utilized enough in the film to make the full impact I might have wanted. Meryl is entertaining, but the performance isn’t really anything I felt stuck with me enough for a nomination. And Emma Stone is pretty inconsistent all throughout. I generally love her, but she probably gives one of the least-impressive performances of the cast.

Personal line-up:
    1) Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
    2) Tilda Swinton, Snowpiercer
    3) Carrie Coon, Gone Girl
    4) Rene Russo, Nightcrawler
    5) Jessica Chastain, A Most Violent Year

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, Arquette was still easily the best of them, though I don’t mind Emma Stone’s nomination. And I’m happy for Laura Dern that she was able to get in, but far from what she’s capable of as an actress. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Weir
    Participant
    Topics:

Arquette’s performance was faultless and she very much deserved the Oscar this year. Emma Stone was great too, I still remember the scene where her character is yelling at Riggan. She’d have been my runner up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t get Arquette’s win at all.

1 – Meryl Streep
    2 – Emma Stone
    3 – Keira Knightley

Love the first 3. Could easily be persuaded to swap their places although don’t actually see myself sitting through Birdman again in order to re-evaluate Stone.

4 – Patricia Arquette

I had such high expectations but she doesn’t really do anything. She’s not bad just entirely forgettable.

5 – Laura Dern

Tempted to put her above Arquette. Didn’t have much to do but she does it well.

I would have loved to see Rene Russo here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmys2011
    Participant
    Topics:

Just realized how mehhh was this line-up. Kightley was just ok, nothing special. I usually like Stone, but she overacted her only note-worthy scene, and didn´t feel authentic. Dern was fantastic, but her screentime is so small that I don´t feel comfortable with the nomination. Didn´t see Streep. Arquette was really good, but I´m also not over the moon in love with this win, though she was the better of them all.

Carrie Coon, Renne Russo and Jessica Chastain would´ve made this an interesting race. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Patrick
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m judging whoever voted for Dern lol. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again and again…SHE DID NOTHING IN WILD.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I think Laura Dern was amazing in “Wild”. But that doesn’t mean she was Oscar-worthy by any means.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.