Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2017

Best Supporting Actress 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 566 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

Pike is probably just a pipe dream… I just want justice for her after Gone Girl.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

Rosamund Pike is even less of a chance than Kristin Scott Thomas who will basically drop out of the race because they’re both thankless roles (saw screenings). Personally, I think Laurie Metcalf just became the frontrunner because it’s gotten such incredible raves, I still see nods for smaller roles like Spencer or Dunst or Hunter or Pfeiffer are very likely either as coattail noms or because they stood out of a well-reviewed movie (The Big Sick, The Beguiled) but one that won’t get in elsewhere.

If Metcalf is a frontrunner, she sure is a soft one because this category is wide open. The reviews I read highlighted Ronan much more than Metcalf but Metcalf is respected and has never been nominated. I just worry about the fate of this movie. The situation this movie is in reminds me of 20th Century Women last year and we all know how that turned out.

ReplyCopy URL
    SayMyName
    Participant
    Topics:

All right, all right hate me, but Spencer was still the best in the category. Bye.

Nobody hates you. You’re not important enough to hate. It’s just the whiny objection of Spencer being better than everyone else and you acting like a child when anyone disagrees with that.

Thank you! Nice to hear!

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

If Metcalf is a frontrunner, she sure is a soft one because this category is wide open. The reviews I read highlighted Ronan much more than Metcalf but Metcalf is respected and has never been nominated. I just worry about the fate of this movie. The situation this movie is in reminds me of 20th Century Women last year and we all know how that turned out.

I just fell in love with the Lady Bird trailer and I was wrong: Laurie Metcalf came to fucking play.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lucas A
    Participant
    Topics:

I still see nods for smaller roles like Spencer or Dunst or Hunter or Pfeiffer are very likely either as coattail noms or because they stood out of a well-reviewed movie (The Big Sick, The Beguiled) but one that won’t get in elsewhere.

In this decade, only Helen Hunt, Meryl Streep, and Jennifer Jason Leigh have been nominated for films that weren’t competitive in other major categories, the common denominator being their age.  So I think Hunter is still on the table, but probably not Dunst.

I think if Ronan is a lock for Actress, Metcalf will become a lock for Supporting. “The Papers” cast is so sprawling it seems like it would be difficult for one of them to push through, unless there’s a clear hierarchy.  Juno Temple for “Wonder Wheel” seems entirely likely if the film does well, and so far it seems like it’s going to be one of Allen’s better ones.

So… Hunter, Metcalf, Temple, and whoever critics bizarrely decide to coalesce around?

ReplyCopy URL
    Lysa K
    Participant
    Topics:

In this decade, only Helen Hunt, Meryl Streep, and Jennifer Jason Leigh have been nominated for films that weren’t competitive in other major categories, the common denominator being their age.  So I think Hunter is still on the table, but probably not Dunst.

They’re both basically the same case–well-reviewed movies which are competitive in Screenplay categories and could have other actors from their movie nominated (Ray Romano, Nicole Kidman) but probably won’t because their fields are more competitive. Penelope Cruz (twice), Ruby Dee, Amy Ryan, Helen Hunt, Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom), Jennifer Jason Leigh, Patricia Clarkson, Holly Hunter (Thirteen) were all sole nominees of their films some of which were well-reviewed some weren’t. Melissa McCarthy along with Screenplay. Laura Dern, Julia Roberts, Janet McTeer came along for the ride along with noms for fellow female co-stars only.

Hunter is more likely than Dunst but they’re both contenders. Either way, the award is Metcalf’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laura T
    Participant
    Topics:

Woodshock bombed so that’s out but Dench isn’t looking so great for Victoria and Abdul so I’m guessing Focus will try harder on The Beguiled for the FYC campaign

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Metcalf is an irrelevancy until televised precursors make her happen with nods.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lysa K
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve seen Lady Bird. It’s going to be big because it’s beyond amazing and Metcalf gives one of the best supporting performances I’ve seen in years let alone this year. It would be very, very difficult to top that. Plus the film got raves out of Telluride so it will be a player probably even for Picture and/or Director. It’s just too brilliant of a performance to miss. People are just skeptical because they didn’t see it coming.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kwame
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you have something against her? It’s almost as if you don’t want her to happen

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know if I’m ready to say that Metcalf is a contender to win but she definitely is a strong contender to get nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you have something against her? It’s almost as if you don’t want her to happen

Team Pfeiffer no disruption entertained for her career achievement coronation.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve seen Lady Bird. It’s going to be big because it’s beyond amazing and Metcalf gives one of the best supporting performances I’ve seen in years let alone this year. It would be very, very difficult to top that. Plus the film got raves out of Telluride so it will be a player probably even for Picture and/or Director. It’s just too brilliant of a performance to miss. People are just skeptical because they didn’t see it coming.

I’d love to see Metcalf get nominated, bur I heard and thought the same things about Molly Shannon for Other People last year.

So I think we should wait for the precursors to recognize her first.

ReplyCopy URL
    M Bocioaca
    Participant
    Topics:

The Beguiled will be hurt by the debacle with the excision of the black character. And I think it should, to some extent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Bird is certain to be a greater commercial success than Other People.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1975) – One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 566 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.