Best Supporting Actress 2017

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Supporting Actress 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 475 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
5 hours ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

I drew comparisons to Molly Shannon in Other People and Laurie Metcalf in Lady Bird in my mind after seeing the trailer but I think that Metcalf has a better chance.
    1. Metcalf is arguably more respected in the industry and has a better resume (Roseanne, Big Bang, Getting On, Emmy wins, Tony Wins)
    2. Her film has a Best Actress contender where Other People’s only chance was Shannon
    3. The Academy knows Ronan and Gerwig so they will probably see it, plus it’s an awards season release date whereas Other People had a summer release
    4. Lady Bird will make more money

ReplyCopy URL
    annieholl
    Participant
    Topics:

The Beguiled will be hurt by the debacle with the excision of the black character. And I think it should, to some extent.

Definitely will be hurt by it, and yes to some extent it should. I loved the movie but I did wish Coppola had been more ambitious with it–she could have made a better movie with the black character. Regardless, Dunst has a decent chance as one of two nominations the film will receive (her and Screenplay). I loved her in it, thought she was the best character & actor, and most heartbreaking.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Allison Janney is this year’s JK Simmons.

Watch out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Melissa Leo was this year’s J.K. Simmons? 😉

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1981) – Reds

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

Allison Janney is this year’s JK Simmons.

Watch out.

If I, Tonya performs the way Whiplash does, which I doubt.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am truly perplexed by the lead in the predictions center of Michelle Pfeiffer for Mother!? I really don’t get it. Have people seen the movie already and that is why? I saw the coming attraction for Mother! and was underwhelmed… perhaps this will change after I see the movie itself this weekend… I personally think the locks are Melissa Leo, Holly Hunter and Kristin Scott Thomas, and then it depends on how well liked some other movies are over the next few months. I love Laurie Metcalf and would love to see her get a chance at a “TOE” (Tony Oscar Emmy), yet I doubt it will happen as of this moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

My actual predicted nominees, tell me what you think:

1. Catherine Keener “Get Out”

2. Dafne Keen “Logan”

3. Betty Gabriel “Get Out”

4. Allison Williams “Get Out”

5. Hong Chau “Downsizing”

I technically don’t have Keen or Gabriel in my Goldderby predictions, but that is simply because neither of them are in the predictions center.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Catherine Keener “Get Out” 2. Dafne Keen “Logan” 3. Betty Gabriel “Get Out” 4. Allison Williams “Get Out” 5. Hong Chau “Downsizing”

Even though I strongly disagree with this, I mist admire how different it is.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Catherine Keener “Get Out” 2. Dafne Keen “Logan” 3. Betty Gabriel “Get Out” 4. Allison Williams “Get Out” 5. Hong Chau “Downsizing”

Even though I strongly disagree with this, I mist admire how different it is.

It makes sense to me, since I am predicting Get Out to over-perform like crazy and get nominated for 10-12 Oscars, including for both Sound categories, Music, Cinematography, etc. Thanks for the feedback. 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I am truly perplexed by the lead in the predictions center of Michelle Pfeiffer for Mother!? I really don’t get it. Have people seen the movie already and that is why? I saw the coming attraction for Mother! and was underwhelmed… perhaps this will change after I see the movie itself this weekend… I personally think the locks are Melissa Leo, Holly Hunter and Kristin Scott Thomas, and then it depends on how well liked some other movies are over the next few months. I love Laurie Metcalf and would love to see her get a chance at a “TOE” (Tony Oscar Emmy), yet I doubt it will happen as of this moment.

You’re always in opposition to consensus. Michelle Pfeiffer has a squad of fans who’ll will her into sweeping supporting actress this year. I believe at least three early televised precursors will make it happen. Critics Choice, Golden Globes, and SAG. Usually people don’t lose their momentum after collecting those three.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

How the hell is get out going to get 3 supporting actress nods? Stop with this nonsense. If anyone is nominated from mother! It’ll be Lawrence, I suspect Pfieffer to drop out of top 5 over the next few weeks/months as the movies start coming out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Been doing some research on the kind of roles that get nominations here and it’s pretty interesting for the most part. I’ve cut them up into four different categories: Mother/Mother Figure, Wife, Love Interest, Other. The first set of results are from the past eighteen years, and the second set are from the last three.

From the last eighteen years and 90 Best Supporting Actress nominees, 18 (or 20%) of the nominees played mothers or mother figures, 21 (or 23%) played wives, 15 (or 17%) played love interests, and 36 (or 40%) played various other roles like daughters. So according to this data, 1 nominee will be a mother/mother figure, 2 nominees will be playing various other characters, about 1 nominee will be a wife and the final nominee will be either a wife or a love interest. There are four mothers who won; Mo’Nique, Melissa Leo, Anne Hathaway & Patricia Arquette. Six wives who won; Marcia Gay Harden, Jennifer Connolly, Rachel Weisz, Penelope Cruz, Alicia Vikander & Viola Davis. One love interest won; Cate Blanchett. And seven others; Angelina Jolie, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellweger, Jennifer Hudson, Tilda Swinton, Octavia Spencer & Lupita Nyong’o.

Now from the past three years 5 mothers, 3 wives, 1 love interest and 7 others were all nominated. Patricia Arquette (mother), Alicia Vikander (wife) and Viola Davis (wife) were the winners the past three years. This would constitute that 2-3 nominees will be playing other roles, a possible love interest nominee, 1 wife nominee (who will probably win) and 1 or 2 mother nominees.

Now looking at this years contenders we have Hong Chau, Kristen Scott Thomas, Michelle Pfeiffer, Allison Janney, Laurie Metcalf, Melissa Leo, Sarah Paulson, Carrie Coon and Holly Hunter among the few and I don’t know who is what at this moment but Hunter, Janney, Metcalf and Leo I believe are playing mother/mother figures, Chau, Paulson and Coon are playing other kinds of characters and Pfeiffer and Scott Thomas are playing wives. It’s interesting to see that so many people are playing mothers and wives. Here would be my predictions based off this research.

Hong Chau (Downsizing)
    Allison Janney (I, Tonya)
    Sarah Paulson (The Post)
    Michelle Pfeiffer (mother!)
    Kristen Scott Thomas (Darkest Hour)

ReplyCopy URL
    kaziz
    Participant
    Topics:

For me it’s clear that even though Laurie Metcalf is probably going to handily win this unless somebody else bursts through, the other likely performances will be Metcalf, Hunter, Leo, Spencer and Dunst because I still think The Beguiled will show up in Supporting Actress & Adapted Screenplay, so for. I’d swap out Hunter for Janney if I,Tonya is going to get the push it seems to deserve. I love Janney so I would be stoked to see Metcalf and Janney in the same category (much less stoked about Hunter or Pfeiffer). It helps that I’ve actually seen all the performances I’ve mentioned (with the exception of Janney, but who needs to even think twice—she’s legendary)

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

How the hell is get out going to get 3 supporting actress nods? Stop with this nonsense. If anyone is nominated from mother! It’ll be Lawrence, I suspect Pfieffer to drop out of top 5 over the next few weeks/months as the movies start coming out.

First off, rude. Second of all, Get Out could easily get in 3 Supporting Actresses if the actors branch really ends up loving it that passionately.

I also agree with you on Pfieffer based on the reviews, although I have yet to see the movie itself.

ReplyCopy URL
    SayMyName
    Participant
    Topics:

My actual predicted nominees, tell me what you think: 1. Catherine Keener “Get Out” 2. Dafne Keen “Logan” 3. Betty Gabriel “Get Out” 4. Allison Williams “Get Out” 5. Hong Chau “Downsizing” I technically don’t have Keen or Gabriel in my Goldderby predictions, but that is simply because neither of them are in the predictions center.

Not realistic, but I wish Gabriel would be a contender.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 475 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.