Best Supporting Actress 2017

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Supporting Actress 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 453 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +12 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Spilt was not good in my opinion but Buckley was amazing.

ReplyCopy URL
    SayMyName
    Participant
    Topics:

https://giphy.com/gifs/26gs6vEzlpaxuYgso

This girl was so damn good in her small role. She definitely did more than Naomi Harris or Michelle Williams last year.

Like I said, I prefer Split, but I’m there to support “Get Out” as well. Horrors or horrorish films can be as worthy as prestige dramas. It’s time for the Academy to acknowledge the genre a bit more than they used to. Betty Gabriel or Betty Buckley would make worthy contenders, and I’d take both Catherine Keener and Allison Williams as well. It doesn’t matter. All were good and probably better than the  prestige dramas supporting cast, which are usually one-dimensional and boring Oscar-baity turns.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

If I had to nominate one Get Out actor it wouldn’t be Kaluuya or one of the ladies, it’d be Lil Rel lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    SayMyName
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Lil Rel was the worst part of the film. 🙂 Absolutely unfunny and very much of a well-known character created based on other horror movie characters. Just weak. 🙂

But the girls and Daniel were good, and so does Keith.

ReplyCopy URL
    kaziz
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Melissa Leo
    3. Michelle Pfeiffer
    3. Octavia Spencer
    4. Hong Chau
    5. Judi Dench (why no one on earth considers her from Orient Express?)

Alt: Mary J. Blige, Holly Hunter, Betty Gabriel, Catherine Keener, Allison Williams, Juno Temple, Kristin Scott Thomas.

I see only Pfeiffer, Spencer, and Leo as good bets. You missed Kirsten Dunst whose chances only increase as films don’t do as well as people want them to (The Glass Castle, for instance).

ReplyCopy URL
    kaziz
    Participant
    Topics:

Michelle Pfeiffer–Mother!
    Kirsten Dunst–The Beguiled
    Octavia Spencer–The Shape of Water
    Melissa Leo–Novitiate
    Mary J. Blige–Mudbound

ReplyCopy URL
    eric
    Participant
    Topics:

Michelle Pfeiffer looks good in the mother! trailer

ReplyCopy URL
    Coltrane
    Participant
    Topics:

In alphabetical order:

1) Annette Bening—The Seagull
    2) Kirsten Dunst—The Beguiled
    3) Holly Hunter—The Big Sick
    4) Michelle Pfeiffer—Mother!
    5) Octavia Spencer—The Shape of Water

I’d like a first-time winner even though I love, love, love Hunter and Spencer but I’d prefer any of the other three.

Alts:
    Carrie Coon—The Papers, Melissa Leo—Novitiate, Mary J. Blige—Mudbound, Julianne Moore—Suburbicon, Nicole Kidman—The Killing of a Sacred Deer

ReplyCopy URL
    ClareHen
    Participant
    Topics:

Tiffany Haddish was so great! Just watched Girls Trip. She’s just as deserving for a nod as McCarthy was. Don’t think it’s going to happen though

Anyway…

Mary J. BligeMudbound
    Kirsten DunstThe Beguiled
    Melissa LeoNovitiate
    Michelle PfeifferMother!
    Octavia SpencerThe Shape of Water

I can’t WAIT for Spencer and Dunst who were so great together in Hidden Figures last year to be co-nominees in this category. They clearly adore each other, they were always laughing and hugging each other at awards ceremonies last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    SayMyName
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Melissa Leo 3. Michelle Pfeiffer 3. Octavia Spencer 4. Hong Chau 5. Judi Dench (why no one on earth considers her from Orient Express?) Alt: Mary J. Blige, Holly Hunter, Betty Gabriel, Catherine Keener, Allison Williams, Juno Temple, Kristin Scott Thomas.

I see only Pfeiffer, Spencer, and Leo as good bets. You missed Kirsten Dunst whose chances only increase as films don’t do as well as people want them to (The Glass Castle, for instance).

I haven’t missed Kirsten Dunst. I don’t think she’s happening at all. The Begulied was finely recieved by the critics (78% on Rotten Tomatoes), but it was all about the ensemble-effort, and Kidman was basically the one who was singled out in reviews. This thing with Dunst is a fan-desire, not a real thing. She is not happening for a film which was released that early, which was not loved by the industry and which featured many other women in worthy performances in it. She is a lost cause.

Excuse me if I think that 7-time Oscar-nominee Judi Dench can happen for the  adaptation of an iconic story by Agatha Christie. It’s British, it has an all-star Oscar-bait cast, the director is a multiple Oscar-nominee, and the last adaptation was a huge success. I think Michelle Pfeiffer and Penelope Cruz can also happen for the same film.

Hong Chau or Mary J. Blige (and Octavia Spencer) will also satisfy the diversity-talk. They are no-names in the film industry and have worthy performances which are keeping them in the Oscar talk. You see they are on the list for being awesome in a film, not because a certain actress’ fandom feel like it’s time to reward them with nominations. These fan picks are almost never happening. I wish it would with Dunst, but it won’t. She needed to be the best in cast in a better film to achieve that. She has neither of those two.

That’s how I see it. Actors will put as many minorities as they possibly can to avoid the drama, especially this year, where once again there are not many worthy roles for minorities in cinema. So people like Hong Chau, Octavia Spencer, Mary J. Blige, Betty Gabriel, Denzel Washington, Laurence Fishburne, Penélope Cruz, Jason Mitchell, Javier Bardem, Sterling K. Brown, John Boyega, Chadwick Boseman and Daniel Kaluuya will all be in the conversation AT LEAST.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Early word on Murder on the Orient Express is pretty rough. That said, Dench could easily garner a BAFTA nod on name rec alone.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1969) – Easy Rider

ReplyCopy URL
    Prideful
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol these dunst fans clinging on a 70%ish RT movie, even Tiffany haddish has a better chance than dunst and her white af movie

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Kirsten Dunst is not happening. Please let that shit go.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Dunst is able to get a nomination , i would be pulling for Michelle win over her ( just more overdue ) as i havent seen either movie yet.

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
    ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

I dont think Girls Trip or Get out have a snowballs chance in hell of getting acting nominations.

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
    ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 453 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actress 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.