Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actrress 1973

Best Supporting Actrress 1973

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Andrew Carden
M
darthvader12
  • keithw
    Topics:

I have been enjoying reading people’s opinions regarding past Oscar races.  I thought I would see what people thought (remember) about the Supporting Actress race in 1974. 
    The nominees were:
    Linda Blair, The Exorcist
    Candy Clark, American Graffiti
    Madeline Kahn, Paper Moon
    Sylvia Sidney, Summer Wishes Winter Dreams
    Tatum O’Neal, Paper Moon

Tatum O’Neal won for what is most definitely a lead performance but she is great in the movie.  

My rankings for the five are:
    1.  Madeline Kahn
    2.  Candy Clark
    3.  Tatum O’Neal
    4.  Sylvia Sidney
    5.  Linda Blair

Other opinions? 

M
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the 1973 race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Sidney, though Kahn and O’Neal are delightful too. Blair’s impressive as well and IMO undeservingly got a bad rap for the McCambridge dubbing – it’s still physically a pretty tremendous performance and she’s great in the makeup-free scenes too. Clark is memorable but clearly not in the same league.

ReplyCopy URL
    darthvader12
    Participant
    Topics:

Tatum O’Neal. Although Linda Blair was brilliant in The Exorcist.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Tatum is just perfection in the movie. Madeline Kahn also and the scene on the hill with the two of them is an all time favorite scene of mine.

Linda Blair did get an unfair rap with the McCambridge revelation. Her screaming and crying in the final exorcism scene are so real and disturbing and as said above Blair is really interesting in the pre-posession scenes.

I sort of wish Tatum got lead and Kahn supporting.

At the globes Tatum was in lead but lost to Glenda Jackson (really? I just don’t get that one. It is one of the all time big Oscar mysteries if you ask me. How the heck did she win again for that one note performance 3 years after she first won?) Blair got supporting at the Globes.

I’d rank them

Tatum, Madeline, Linda, Sylvia, Candy 

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I too have never much understood the praise for Jackson in “A Touch of Class.” It’s a fine, charming performance, but she’d already won and Burstyn, Mason, Woodward and arguably even Streisand were all so much better.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Topics:

I thought Glenda Jackson was great in “A Touch of Class” particularly her scene at the very end on the street etc…….that was, in my opinion, the best year ever for Best Actress nominees.  Every single on them was a deserving winner.  Madeline Kahn was so great in “Paper Moon” in a truly supporting performance.  Tatum O’Neal was lead. I am thinking the actual voters probably ranked Sylvia Sidney second for “Summer Wishes Winter Dreams”……but to me she was in that movie so briefly compared to the other nominees.  The voters probably ranked Linda Blair third, followed by Madeline Kahn and then Candy Clark.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I suspect Sidney (the critics’ favorite) was indeed runner-up. Considering the controversy at the time, coupled with the rather lukewarm reception for “The Exorcist” at the Oscars, I don’t think Blair had a real prayer at all. Honestly, Clark, who campaigned aggressively that year (like, almost Sally Kirkland-style), may have ranked third or fourth on account of her efforts.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I’ve always loved Candy Clark from this lineup, regardless of how her perf is perceived.

I’m sticking with her.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Best Supporting Actrress 1973

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.