Home Forums Movies Best VFX 2018

Best VFX 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
  • SN
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m thinking this is War for the Planet of the Apes year.

The other movies of the trilogy were nominated and almost won. “Rise” lost because Hugo was a BP contender and swept the techs. “Dawn” lost
    because Interstellar had a hard use of practical effects considering it was a sci-fi movie.

The bigger competitors of “War” are Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk.

BR2049 has great VFX but they’re not part of the story like mostly of the VFX winners and they’re not as showy and impressive as “War” VFX. Besides, BR2049 is a box office flop and even the best thing of the movie, the cinematography, isn’t a sure thing for the win. And we all know the cinematography conversation over this movie is more because of Roger Deakins than anything.

About Dunkirk, while it had impressive practical effects, it’s no Interstellar. The use of practical FX in Interstellar was way more hard because it was sci-fi. It’s harder to create space, planets and spaceships with practical FX than a war scenario. Dunkirk will probably win a lot of techs, but I can’t see it winning VFX.

What do you think? War for the Planet of the Apes has in my opinion the best VFX of the year and this franchise is very late for a victory. So I think it will win.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Dunkirk should win this for the simple reason of how incredibly hard it was to understand what was real and what was a result of effects.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Ghost in the Shell used a HEAVY amount of VFX, especially in the city scenes, I think it has a great chance of a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Have not seen The Shape of Water, but I understand that she has sex with a fish, so voters might respond to the film being on more of a “human” level, in the vein of Ex Machina. I will only take Planet of the Apes seriously if it finally wins BAFTA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Have not seen The Shape of Water, but I understand that she has sex with a fish, so voters might respond to the film being on more of a “human” level, in the vein of Ex Machina. I will only take Planet of the Apes seriously if it finally wins BAFTA.

I could see it winning but I could also see it being snubbed like Arrival. A lot of what you mentioned appears to be makeup (not sure though) but his skin lights up and there’s a few other things so I could see the getting nominated at the very least.

I currently have Bladerunner winning just because that has the flashy visual elements but also small Ex Machina like stuff like when the two characters are merged while fucking Ryan gosling.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Hunter-ish.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

It seems incredibly unlikely that one of this year’s comic book films doesn’t make the cut, and WONDER WOMAN certainly seems to be the front-runner in that regard (though JUSTICE LEAGUE looks like it has a ton; jury’s out whether it’s any good). Thor has never registered with the Academy and the new Spidey film was fun but offered little new visually.

And of course, you can’t rule out THE LAST JEDI, and if it comes anywhere near what people hope, it could be a very big spoiler for the top prize (which the franchise hasn’t won in 33 years). And while the reception to the film wasn’t that hot, any new Alien film can’t be discounted as a contender.

I sincerely doubt DUNKIRK’s chances in this field, and having seen THE SHAPE OF WATER, there are only a few effects setpieces–most of it is Makeup and Production Design (where I can see it scoring two easy nods).

So I see this being a full-franchise slate this year, unless DOWNSIZING sneaks in unexpectedly (can’t speak to the volume of FX, which will have some bearing on its chances).

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions:

1. Blade Runner 2049
    2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    3. War for the Planet of the Apes
    4. Dunkirk
    5. Okja

6. The Shape of Water
    7. Wonder Woman
    8. Beauty and the Beast
    9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    10. Thor: Ragnarok

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.