Home Forums Movies Best VFX 2018

Best VFX 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
Filmatelist
Teridax
Mangesh Gaikwad
  • SN
    Participant
    Topics:

This year will be really great in this category. I think we already have three locks:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi – It’s a Star Wars movie, so there’s nothing to discuss

War for the Planet of the Apes – The two previously movie were nominated, perfect mocap

Dunkirk – If even the divisive sci-fi Interstellar could win because of great use of practical VFX, why not an epic movie from a more awards-friendly genre?

Mangesh Gaikwad
    Participant
    Topics:

# Visual Effects ::

Alien Covenant
    Blade Runner 2049
    Star Wars Episode VIII : The Last Jedi
    Life (Could be this year’s Sci-Fi followup)
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    War for the Planet of the Apes
    Dunkirk

The Space Between Us
    Kong Skull Island
    Spider-Man Homecoming
    The Dark Tower
    Ghost in the Shell

OTHERS :
    Underworld: Blood Wars
    Monster Trucks
    Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
    John Wick: Chapter 2                             God Particle
    Fifty Shades Darker
    A Cure for Wellness
    Patient Zero
    Logan (Wolverine 3)
    iBoy
    Kong: Skull Island
    Beauty and the Beast
    Baby Driver
    Power Rangers
    Life
    Ghost in the Shell
    Fast 8
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    Maleficent 2
    Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur
    Alien: Covenant
    Untitled Terminator 2
    Baywatch
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
    Wonder Woman
    The Fantastic Four 2
    Barbie
    World War Z 2
    The Mummy
    The Divergent Series: Ascendant
    Transformers 5
    Spiderman: Homecoming
    War Of The Planet Of The Apes
    Valérian and the City of a Thousand Planets
    Untitled Christopher Nolan Movie
    Dunkirk
    The Dark Tower
    Iron Sky: The Coming Race
    The Solutrean
    Granite Mountain
    American Made
    Flatliner
    The Equalizer 2
    Blade Runner 2049
    Kingsman: The Golden Gate
    Geostorm
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Justice League Part One
    Star Wars: Episode VIII
    Ready Player One
    Jumanji
    Downsizing

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Predicting:

Alien Covenant
    Blade Runner 2049
    The Mummy
    Power Rangers

Maybe:

Kong: Skull Island

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Star wars

planet of the apes

Downsizing

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

bladerunner 2049

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

3rd installments are a tough sell for this category.  The third Jurassic Park didn’t score a nod even though its effects were easily as good as THE LOST WORLD and the 3rd SW prequel installment became the first (and to date, only) film from that franchise to not score a nod either.  So even though I would’ve given the Oscar to both Apes films, I’m not sure a nod this year is a foregone conclusion.

And to say DUNKIRK is a lock is sheer nonsense.  Nolan has a good track record here but remember THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (another #3) didn’t score any nods anywhere, so assuming its in by pedigree alone if wrong.  I’m also skeptical about the new Alien film, which (from the looks of the trailer) goes back to the haunted house meme that is more spooks and less vfx eye candy (compared to, say, PROMETHEUS).

Here’s hoping some original films and surprise nominees make the cut beyond the expected sequels and reboots.

ReplyCopy URL
    SN
    Participant
    Topics:

The third Jurassic Park movie was just terrible, even worse than the second, which was already bad. The third Star Wars movie wasn’t nominated because in 2005 the VFX category had only three nominees and that year all the nominees (King Kong, Narnia, War of the Worlds) were unbeatable, mainly considering that the VFX of the Star Wars prequels are mostly bad.

The Dark Knight Rises was a blockbuster superhero film, while Dunkirk will be an epic war film. Which one of the two seems more interesting for the awards voters?

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

This looks like a really awesome year for VFX. War of the Planet of the Apes, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars, Alien, Blade Runner, Downsizing, Life, Pirates, Wonder Woman, amongst others. Holy crap, just choosing five will be incredibly hard.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I caught an advance screening of Kong: Skull Island last week.  The effects are what you would expect from a $190 million budget, but they are also the effects that have come to be taken for granted and I doubt that it can sustain itself from March.  See also the snubs of Godzilla, Pacific Rim and most Marvel movies.  Gigantic monsters fighting each other kind of just seems like animation; it is not innovative in integrating people like Ex Machina and The Jungle Book.

Entertaining movie though.  Bad dialogue, but thrilling action.  I am sure that it is just like every King Kong movie every made.  It is such a reliable formula: “Oh my god, a giant monkey is on this island!  Kill it!  Look; now it is fighting an even bigger monster!”  The movie was surprisingly standalone, considering that it is part of a new franchise and precedes a sequel in which it will battle Godzilla.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

Blade Runner 2049
    Downsizing
    Ghost in the Shell
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    Thor: Ragnarök
    War for the Planet of the Apes

My bet right now is that the final five will come from these ones. With Apes as the closest to be a lock/frontrunner.

ReplyCopy URL
    superb
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t forget about Annihilation by the guy who was behind ex machina. Theres so many movies with XF this year also Wonder Woman could be a contender maybe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t underestimate Spider-Man: Homecoming in Best Visual Effects. Keep in mind that Spider Man 2 is still the only Marvel movie to ever win an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

This looks like a really awesome year for VFX. War of the Planet of the Apes, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars, Alien, Blade Runner, Downsizing, Life, Pirates, Wonder Woman, amongst others. Holy crap, just choosing five will be incredibly hard.

Even though I predicted both Kubo and the 2 Strings AND Deepwater Horizon to get nominated for Best Visual Effects, many others did not. What do you think is likely to be this year’s shocking inclusion(s) by the VFX branch of the Academy? Since Saving Private Ryan got nominated, could Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk sneak in there?

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

My current predictions:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    War of the Planet of the Apes
    Dunkirk
    Blade Runner 2049 (OR Wonder Woman as the alternate nominee)

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Even though I predicted both Kubo and the 2 Strings AND Deepwater Horizon to get nominated for Best Visual Effects, many others did not. What do you think is likely to be this year’s shocking inclusion(s) by the VFX branch of the Academy? Since Saving Private Ryan got nominated, could Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk sneak in there?

SPR was not nominated for VFX.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t underestimate Spider-Man: Homecoming in Best Visual Effects. Keep in mind that Spider Man 2 is still the only Marvel movie to ever win an Oscar.

I think that’s a good reason to not *over*estimate its chances.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Best VFX 2018

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.