Home Forums Movies Box Office Bombs of 2013 (So Far)

Box Office Bombs of 2013 (So Far)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
vinny
Scottferguson
Leo Grant Logan
  • Leo Grant Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

I am here to post the list of films that have bombed at the box office so far in 2013.

After Earth – Budget: $130 million; Gross: $58 million (domestically); $199 million (worldwide)
    Jack the Giant Slayer – Budget: $195 million; Gross: $65 million (domestically); $197 million (worldwide)
    Beautiful Creatures – Budget: $60 million; Gross: $19 million (domestically); $60 million (worldwide)
    Broken City – Budget: $35 million; Gross: $19 million
    The Last Stand – Budget: $45 million; Gross: $37 million
    Bullet to the Head – Budget: $55 million; Gross: $13 million
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone – Budget: $30 million; Gross: $22 million
    The Host – Budget: $40 million; Gross: $26 million (domestically); $48 million (worldwide)
    Oblivion – Budget: $120 million; Gross: $89 million (domestically); $285 million (worldwide)
    The Big Wedding – Budget: $35 million; Gross: $21 million
    The Internship – Budget: $58 million; Gross: $42 million (domestically); $63 million (worldwide) 

outsider
    Topics:

Can “Oblivion” really be considered a bomb? It obviously isn’t profitable when you take into account the marketing expenses, but the same thing can be said about “Star Trek Into Darkness”.

“White House Down” and “The Lone Ranger” are obvious additions to the list and they may be followed by “Pacific Rim” and “R.I.P.D.”.

“Beautiful Creatures” and “The Host” performed very poorly but there are more young adult novel adaptations on the way.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t see how “Oblivion” is considered a bomb. It gained back double its budget.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I kinda really liked Jack the Giant Slayer………good movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Raylan
    Topics:

I hope Pacific Rim doesn’t get added to this list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

PR has been getting decent reviews (now up to 70 on Metacritic), but the tracking is weak – as of yesterday, not projected to do more than $35 million for opening US/C weekend. That would likely mean a struggle to get to much more than $100 million domestic. Its $190 budget + perhaps $100 million marketing would mean the rest of the world would need to make up around $300 m to get to the $400 m the theatrical portion of the film’s revenues need to be – which would be a big, big stretch.
    At this point, it looks unlikely to make money. But the public has yet to officially react, so it’s all speculation, no matter how well-informed, as of now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Candy
    Topics:

Variety had an article about tracking for Pacific Rim indicating a weak opening. Given that WB gave Pacific Rim The Dark Kinight/Inception weekend spot an opening of $25-35 mil would disasterous. Variety noted the lack of a big name actor in a leading role as one problem for the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t see how “Oblivion” is considered a bomb. It gained back double its budget.

Not sure Oblivion belongs there either, but any film that only doubles its production budget in its worldwide gross sometimes is a flop.

Why?

Because the studio only gets between 45-55% of that money – theaters get the rest.
    And the production budget doesn’t include marketing costs, which on a big budget international hit often come to $100 million more, for a film like Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel much more.
    Studios then get more money from DVDs, cable, other sales. But if a film costs $100 million, and grosses $200 million worldwide, it likely ends up losing $50-75 million.

ReplyCopy URL
    Leo Grant Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Adding more recent ones to the list.

White House Down – Budget: $150 million; Gross: $92 million (so far)
    The Lone Ranger – Budget: $215 million; Gross: $147 million (so far)
    Pacific Rim – Budget: $190 million; Gross: $68 million (domestically so far); $178 million (worldwide so far)
    R.I.P.D. – Budget: $130 million; Gross: $19 million (worldwide first weekend) 

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I caved in and saw Pacific Rim yesterday………it deserves to bomb. it was just so overdone.

ReplyCopy URL
    HolyWood
    Topics:

I caved in and saw Pacific Rim yesterday………it deserves to bomb. it was just so overdone.

Me too. I thought the reviews might be wrong… but they weren’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”vinman422″]I caved in and saw Pacific Rim yesterday………it deserves to bomb. it was just so overdone.

Me too. I thought the reviews might be wrong… but they weren’t.[/quote]

I honestly feel like it was too much like the Battleship movie except with some minor changes.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Leo Grant Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Adding more recent ones include:

Paranoia – Budget: $35 million; Gross: $13 million
    The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones – Budget: $60 million; Gross: $31 million (domestic); $90 million (worldwide)
    Getaway – Budget: $18 million; Gross: $10 million
    Battle of the Year – Budget: $20 million; Gross: $16 million
    Runner Runner – Budget: $30 million; Gross: $19 million (domestic); $63 million (worldwide)
    Escape Plan – Budget: $50 million; Gross: $25 million (domestic); $136 million (worldwide)
    Ender’s Game – Budget: $110 million; Gross: $61 million (domestic); $112 million (worldwide)
    The Fifth Estate – Budget: $28 million; Gross: $8 million
    Black Nativity – Budget: $17.5 million; Gross: $7 million
    Oldboy – Budget: $30 million; Gross: $4 million
    Out of the Furnace – Budget: $22 million; Gross: $11 million
    Walking with Dinosaurs – Budget: $80 million; Gross: $35 million (domestic); $118 million (worldwide)
    47 Ronin – Budget: $175 million; Gross: $130 million
    Grudge Match – Budget: $40 million; Gross: $29 million 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Box Office Bombs of 2013 (So Far)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.