Brooklyn (2015) Thread

Home // Forums // Movies // Brooklyn (2015) Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The film, with high Oscar hopes for Saiorse Ronan has finally released a trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PYJO_jCht8

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I had no idea Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters were in this film! I need to change my BAFTA predictions for next year already!

ReplyCopy URL
    twenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t say about its awards potential but it looks beautiful.To me Saiorse Ronan looks like young Winslet (compliment ).

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

The poster for Brooklyn is a thing of beauty. Pretty, pretty design.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, Domhnall Gleeson really is everywhere, isn’t he?

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Fellas this looks like a winner. Anyone who’s doubting that Saoirse Ronan has a real shot at an Oscar nomination (and even a win) is just fooling himself/herself. The entire cast looks tremendous, the story is interesting enough to keep me curious and it looks stunning. I mean… that poster alone…

Domhnall Gleeson has 3 big movies coming out this year (Star Wars, The Revenant, Brooklyn) and I’m not even counting with Ex Machina, one if this year’s best, most brilliant films. He’s the new it boy! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Saoirse Ronan, I have been madly in love with you since I first saw the City of Ember… a movie lots didn’t like but I liked it because I love you. Then came the Lovely Bones which you completely owned. Then I finally saw Atonement before watching Hanna that same day, which is one of my favorite movies. I have The Way Back on DVD. I’ve watched How I Live Now 4 times on netflix. I own Budapest Hotel. I secretly liked Violet and Daisey. And I hope you win my dear. It’d make me so happy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw the trailer without even knowing it was out (a wonderful surprise) and I am burning to see it. Saoirse is probably my favorite young actors as far as the movies she makes. Brooklyn looks like it’s gonna be one of my favorites. I’ll see it by myself if I have to!

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

Reviews:

Brooklyn is such a cinematic tour de force that even the most unsentimental should find aspects to appreciate. If the actors don’t do it for you, then there’s still the luscious score and postcard-like cinematography to get you swooning. At its core, Brooklyn is a film about love, but it’s also about life, in all of its triumphs, amusements and heartache. Expect this one to figure into the Oscar race in Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay and with a strong push, Best Supporting Actor for Emory Cohen as well. http://www.awardscircuit.com/2015/09…e-to-remember/

While the film is filled with glorious performances it is Ronan that clearly and somewhat obviously stands above the rest. Her arc as Eilis is truly one of a palpable transformation and gives the film the necessary weight for it to feel profound in the unexpected ways it is. 4/5 stars
    http://www.reviewsfromabed.com/2015/09/tiff-2015-brooklyn-review.html

Five minutes into Brooklyn, a sweeping new drama that reminds us America is a nation of immigrants, my heart melted. About two hours later, I was reminded how much of a sucker I am for a well told but emotional yarn. I’m fairly confident American audiences will gobble up this lovely movie like the fine Irish stew your ma used to make.

Audiences should warmly embrace Brooklyn when it opens in the United States around Christmas. The cinematography, costumes and musical score are all Oscar-caliber and director John Crowley perfectly captures America in the early 1950s: dance halls, Bing Crosby on the radio and the Dodgers (when they were in Brooklyn, of course).

Brooklyn is by far, my favorite film at TIFF thus far.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/tif…nt?oid=3589001

ReplyCopy URL
    GraemeONeil
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s my Movie Minute Review of Brooklyn!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_bbPIPzOYI&list=PLZ9JFEQ2TiT0VRlp9fJqIbLJs_ughBbYn&index=1 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw it a I was a bit disappointed.

Perfectly pleasant, well made little film with nice performances but it doesn’t really go anywhere. The plot is extremely thin.

Ronan is great and Walters would have been a shoo in for a nom if her screentime wasn’t so limited and her character so one dimensional.

The name ‘Brooklyn’ hints at something sweeping and cinematic but this isn’t like that at all. As a location it barely features.

Not a bad film by any means just not one that grabbed me at all.

6/10

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Brookyln won People’s Choice out of 375 films at the Vancouver International Film Festival, which has previously awarded such titles as Like Father, Like Son, The Hunt, A Separation, Waste Land, Persepolis, The Lives of Others and Bowling for Columbine.

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

Leaps from 74 to 86 on Metacritic with 23 reviews, and 98% on Rotten Tomatoes with 43 reviews.

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Walters is getting Fonda’s supporting actress spot at BAFTA

ReplyCopy URL
    Zayner
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m surprised how underestimated Ronan is right now. She’s getting rave reviews right now in a critical acclaimed film… sounds like Oscar bait to me

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Reply To: Brooklyn (2015) Thread

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.