Home Forums Movies Can Carell pull a Cooper 2014?

Can Carell pull a Cooper 2014?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Atif Mir Hussain
    Participant
    Topics:

Big Short is gaining momentum.

In for Picture, Screenplay and Editing definitely.

Maybe Supporting Actor for Bale?

Haynes is not a lock for Director- maybe McKay gets in? And the most unlikely but can Carell get in with Leo, Cranston, Redmayne and Fassbender?

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Carell in.  He did get in at the Globes though, unlike Cooper.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m predicting it.

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

I dont have him in now, but he does have a good shot of getting in. But if he wins the Globe, I will start predicting him

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

Pls no.
    [img]https://mlpforums.com/uploads/post_images/img-3118428-1-nooooo.gif[/img]

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Steve Carell is a terrible actor, and his “Foxcatcher” nomination is one of the worst in Oscar history. So let’s hope not. Also “The Big Short” isn’t that strong. The Golden Globe is hardly important. Steve Carell has a BFCA Comedy Actor, and a Golden Globe Comedy Actor nomination and that’s more than enough.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

It is very true that it has gained some momentum, but it’s hardly as buzzed as any of the big contenders, or new contenders ala Star Wars. I would say that it’s not going to recieve any Oscar nominations, but it can pretty much win some Globes.

ReplyCopy URL
    JabberCash
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m predicting Carell for this. Every review says the standout of the whole cast is Carell. He provides the moral center, and has the emotional moments. I disagree with you Vincelette, I think Carells performance in Foxcatcher was one of the best of last year. I think the academy is starting to take notice of him and I think he’ll get a surprise nomination.

Bale I don’t think will get in. Sure he got the SAG nomination, but we all know how screwed up those nominations were. Bale was nominated at the globes but thats in the comedy catagory which is weak, and I can see Carell winning the globe. Depp’s one-note performance has died down, Concussion has mixed reviews, and I just don’t see Cranston getting in for Trumbo. It’s too hammy. Most people agree Carell’s performance in The Big Short is great, and I’m sure they’ll want to nominate at least one performance from the film, so I think it’ll be his.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys, do not sleep on The Big Short.  Even if Best Picture only had five nominees, it would get in.  It has good reviews (81 on Metacritic), an A-list cast, an A grade from CinemaScore and it has already yielded the second-highest per-theatre average of the year.  This is going to do well at the box office.  And it has already done well in the precursor awards, with the SAG ensemble nomination, Los Angeles editing win and four Globe nominations.  Commerical success plus critical success plus awards success plus plum Oscar release date plus Oscar-friendly subject matter with an Oscar-friendly cast?  How is that not a perfect recipe for Oscar success?  The only thing that it has going against it is that it came out so late that users here and pundits had already made their predictions, which is not a real thing.  Remember how that guy who won the predictions contest two years ago had only logged his first predictions of the season the night before the nominations came out?  He did not have to “make space” for late-surging contenders; he just put them in and it will be the same thing with Oscar voters.  They do not update their ballots over several months.  The Big Short is this Oscars’ American Sniper for Gold Derby.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luke McGowan
    Participant
    Topics:

Carell’s performance in Foxcatcher was revelatory. He crushed it. So full of self-loathing and mental decay, far better than Bradley Cooper was. However, I’ve heard he’s a thin lead for Big Short, which absolutely is coming on strong. I’d say its going to steal Steve Jobs’ Adapted Screenplay spot and it’s goign to be a solid pick for Picture. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

@ thedemonhog: I can’t see The Big Short before Oscar noms come out, but I’m wondering what you think its chances are in Best Director?  

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

Great, another thread for another theory!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we please stick to the Best Actor thread?
    Seriously. There must be 1981298412938 threads right now at GoldDerby Forums. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

^ Every time you winge about a thread, you kaboot it right into the top spot, giving it high visibility while sending your preferred threads into the dumpster.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Sue
    @smixity 
    5h

Watched The Big Short – really enjoyed it, especially Steve Carell’s performance. Completely sold me into a serious character. 8/10!

Travis Padgett
    @T_Padge
    6h
    Steve Carell was even more sensational than his Oscar nominated performance last year #BestActor

Hiddles Tigress
    @hiddlestigress
    13h

Steve Carell gave an amazing performance that has given me a new-found respect for his acting. Truly. #TheBigShort

Adnan Virk, ESPN
    @adnanESPN
    14h

Sophisticated yet accessible, “The Big Short” is an audacious look at the economic meltdown and features a scene-stealing Steve Carell

Alexandra Tate
    @cestmoialex
    15h
    Just saw #thebigshort & have 2 conclusions: 1) @SteveCarell deserves an Oscar 2) my money is going into my mattress & never buying a house

John Farah
    @JohnFarah13
    Dec 26
    Wow. The Big Short was one of the best movies I’ve seen in years. Steve Carell deserves an Oscar

Ian Phillips
    @IanReelDeal
    Dec 26

I’ll invest in a subprime mortgage if it means Steve Carell wins an Oscar for The Big Short

Bill West
    @BillWest5
    Dec 26
    #TheBigShort is great! A little complicated to follow but Steve Carell does a terrific job. He should be nominated for an #Oscar.

Josh Finney
    @josh_finn
    Dec 24

Christian Bale gave an award worthy performance but Steve Carell gives the dramatic performance of his career

M. Night Shyamalan
    @MNightShyamalan
    Dec 21

Just saw #TheBigShort. Excellent film. One of my top five for this year.

Joel Sherman
    @Joelsherman1
    Saw The Big Short yest. Think Steve Carell is new Tom Hanks – began career as funnyman, going to be remembered as great serious actor

Brayden King
    @braydenk

@LarsenOnFilm @filmspotting a friend worked w/Eisman and says, if anything, Carell’s performance is a toned down version of the real guy

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

[quote=”twitter”]
    Sue
    @smixity 
    5h

Watched The Big Short – really enjoyed it, especially Steve Carell’s performance. Completely sold me into a serious character. 8/10!

Travis Padgett
    @T_Padge
    6h
    Steve Carell was even more sensational than his Oscar nominated performance last year #BestActor

Hiddles Tigress
    @hiddlestigress
    13h

Steve Carell gave an amazing performance that has given me a new-found respect for his acting. Truly. #TheBigShort

Adnan Virk, ESPN
    @adnanESPN
    14h

Sophisticated yet accessible, “The Big Short” is an audacious look at the economic meltdown and features a scene-stealing Steve Carell

Alexandra Tate
    @cestmoialex
    15h
    Just saw #thebigshort & have 2 conclusions: 1) @SteveCarell deserves an Oscar 2) my money is going into my mattress & never buying a house

John Farah
    @JohnFarah13
    Dec 26
    Wow. The Big Short was one of the best movies I’ve seen in years. Steve Carell deserves an Oscar

Ian Phillips
    @IanReelDeal
    Dec 26

I’ll invest in a subprime mortgage if it means Steve Carell wins an Oscar for The Big Short

Bill West
    @BillWest5
    Dec 26
    #TheBigShort is great! A little complicated to follow but Steve Carell does a terrific job. He should be nominated for an #Oscar.

Josh Finney
    @josh_finn
    Dec 24

Christian Bale gave an award worthy performance but Steve Carell gives the dramatic performance of his career

M. Night Shyamalan
    @MNightShyamalan
    Dec 21

Just saw #TheBigShort. Excellent film. One of my top five for this year.

Joel Sherman
    @Joelsherman1
    Saw The Big Short yest. Think Steve Carell is new Tom Hanks – began career as funnyman, going to be remembered as great serious actor

Brayden King
    @braydenk

@LarsenOnFilm @filmspotting a friend worked w/Eisman and says, if anything, Carell’s performance is a toned down version of the real guy

[/quote]

Yeah that’s why I don’t trust twitter reactions.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Reply To: Can Carell pull a Cooper 2014?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.