Home Forums Movies Can Miles Teller break through at the 2016 Oscars with “Bleed for This”?

Can Miles Teller break through at the 2016 Oscars with “Bleed for This”?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Patrick
    Participant
    Topics:

Miles Teller occupies the lead role in “Bleed for This”, a biographical sports drama about World Champion boxer Vinny Pazienza. Although the film is directed and written by unknown Ben Younger, it has a strong producing team including executive producer Martin Scorsese and his “The Wolf of Wall Street” team. Bruce Cohen is also a producer (previous winner for “American Beauty” and nominee for “Milk” and “Silver Linings Playbook”). The film is in post-production with no release date set, but it is said to be released sometime later this year.

I think it has potential based on the producing team, but if anything will mostly be a vehicle for Miles Teller (and I hope he gets awards attention for this!). Katey Segal appears in a supporting role as Teller’s mother, but will probably have a more uphill battle in getting a nomination. If this can get the nominations, this is the kind of “meat and potatoes” film that the older male AMPAS members typically eat up. I don’t think it would win Best Picture, but has the possibility of getting a few wins (if it’s a well-polished, well-directed film).

What do you think? Do you think this can be an Oscar contender? Do you think Miles Teller will finally be nominated after delivering outstanding performances in “The Spectacular Now” and “Whiplash”?

ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Bleed for this’ sounds like it could be a sequel to Whiplash… I’ve been excited for this for a while. Teller has definitely shown he has talent, but he just tends to get overshadowed in his films. Doubt there’s any chance of that in this role though, so I look forward to seeing it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Patrick
    Participant
    Topics:
    ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

2015 is a big year for boxing movies. We have this, Southpaw, and Creed to look forward to.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

The writer-director is not an unknown. He made two studio movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Patrick
    Participant
    Topics:

The writer-director is not an unknown. He made two studio movies.

Oh, I thought they were all random obscure ones. I see them now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

So far I think he did some very decent performances, in “The Spectacular Now” and “Whiplash”, but he wasn’t really Oscar-worthy. We’ll see.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Loved him in Whiplash, Footloose, 21 & Over, The Spectacular Now, That Akward Moment, and pretty much every movie he has made so far besides Divergent series (I really have a hard time getting into those movies for some reason) so I have high hopes for this one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Amanda Spears
    Topics:

He deffinitely has a higher profile thanks to Whiplash and was deserving for that performance. He has two big obstacles in his way; the first being the number of boxing movies coming out and its possible that it could fall through the cracks, the second; his age the Academy doesn’t nominate men typically in their 20s. 

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Southpaw doesn’t look like it’s going to factor at all but Creed may be a threat although Coogler didn’t manage Fruitvale Station to garner any Oscar nom besides the Weinsteins back-up (it’s not his fault but it makes me doubt Creed’s chances).

I doubt that Miles Teller is going to be nominated for this film unless it’s some sort of undeniable modern masterpiece. It will however be added to his already extremely impressive resumé and contribute to cement his name as a future Hollywood household star. He’s incredibly popular right now and I so support him. He has this Tom Hanks quality about him that glues me to the screen everytime he appears. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

This has been on my radar since it was announced. Frankly, at this point, I will watch Teller in anything. IMHO, he was Oscar worthy in ‘Whiplash’, and I have no doubts that he will get that Oscar eventually. I don’t think it’ll be for ‘Bleed For This’ however, but this film will only make his future chances all the more likely.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Another boxing movie?

He should have been nominated for The Spectacular Now and was also great in Whiplash.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

If he didn’t make it last year… I think it’s gonna take a lot of time and a lot of notable roles to join the club. But I’m sure he eventually will.

He’s 28 and that ridiculously factor in the Lead Actor race. Awards wise, probably will follow the same path that Jake Gyllenhaal.

So far to me, he scored prestigious performances to his filmography in Rabbit Hole, The Spectacular Now and Whiplash.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmys2011
    Participant
    Topics:

It would be great if Teller got some traction. If the movie ends up in the conversation, I´ll be rooting for a Sagal nomination bigtime. How awesome would that be!

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.