Cannes 2016?

Home // Forums // Movies // Cannes 2016?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The thread has disappeared somehow? Just me?

Continue the conversation here until it gets resolved though

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s Only The End Of The World First Reactions

Mike D’Angelo: Never saw August: Osage County, but I feel like this must be exactly what it was like

Robbie Collin: Mannered, exhausting squabblegeddon, almost entirely in close-up, very occasionally gorgeous

Dave Calhoun: IT’S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD AND THE CAPS JUST AREN’T BIG ENOUGH TO DESCRIBE HOW HYSTERICAL THIS FILM IS

Peter Bradshaw: Histrionic, claustrophobic, brilliant and mad: the movie equivalent of Motörhead

Donald Clarke: Biggest disappointment of Cannes. A beautiful, shrill mess.

Alex Billington: It needed another 30 minutes to really come together and actually mean something

Xan Brooks: Indulgent sweet-&-sour family fondant. Some tasty moments, low nutritional value

Guy Lodge: An experiment: character conflict without any characters. Kodak colour hot and wet on the screen, though.

Justin Chang: That Dardenne brothers film doesn’t look so bad now, does it?

Gregory Ellwood: Loved Mommy, but dear God, It’s Only The End Of The World is an on the nose stylistic mannered mess

Charles Bramseco: Home is where the hatred is. Dolan retreads old territory, but it feels new every time. This thing bangs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Charles Bright
    Participant
    Topics:

It disappeared for me too. Really weird.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Dolan’s films are always terrible. Apparently critics decided to realize that this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    13SV8
    Participant
    Topics:

RT Scores for In Competition (Palm D’or)

1. American Honey-47% (Negative Reviews)
    2. Aquarius- 100%
    3. From the land of the Moon- 17% (Negative Reviews)
    4. The Handsmaiden-98%
    5. I, Daniel Blake- 82%
    6. It’s Only the End of the World- N/A yet (Negative Reviews)
    7. Julieta-67% (Mixed)
    8. Loving- 95%
    9. Ma’Rose- N/A yet
    10. Paterson- 94%
    11. Personal Shopper- 57% (Mixed)
    12. Staying Vertical- 63% (Mixed)
    13. Sieranevada- 100%
    14. Slack Bay- N/A
    15. The Unknown Girl- 63% (Mixed)

This year has been full of lackluster films.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

You can tell some of these critics were just waiting for Dolan to seriously misfire — to their credit, I guess, but some of their reviews are just dripping with such transparent pettiness that it’s hard to take the level of their negativity so seriously.

In any case, this festival is coming to a close. Seems so quick yet so exhausting.
    Responses to Mungiu are in the morning (asscrack of dawn EST) and Refn in the evening (around 3pmEST). I’m also anxious to hear about The Death of Louis XIV tomorrow, but I could be alone in that. Then Penn in the morning on Friday, Farhadi in the evening. Then Verhoeven’s the morning after and that’s a wrap until the closing ceremony!

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree, I think they were almost waiting for a slight misfire from Dolan, and are jumping on it. They’ve been largely positive about all the films so far. The critics who regularly appear on my summary of first reactions generally like the films others have despised (Personal Shopper/Paterson). Maybe something had to give?

Will be interesting their reactions when they are away from the festival.

Also, all is not entirely lost with Its Only The End of The World – Peter Bradshaw gave it FOUR stars! Can’t be that terrible.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Manakamana, it appears this really isn’t Marion’s year yet again! Lol

Apparently yearly word on Refn is that, once again, his film is a disaster. I expect Mungiu to please critics, as usual. I doubt Miller will let Verhoeven go home empty handed. Miller is like an Aussie Verhoeven lol I too am anxious for Serra’s. Apparently Vecchiali’s new film, which screened yesterday, is great. Love him.

13SV8, thanks for the update, though you left out the Probable Palm winner Toni Erdmann. And sure there were lackluster films, but most people are calling this the best Cannes in years

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Bradshaw as like Roger Ebert… Nice guy, great writer, but often embraces bad stuff and repudiates great films. Dolan exposed himself after that Godard comment two years ago, though admittedly I’ve never been anything close to a fan of his

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Marion really is the Susan Lucci of Cannes.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Graduation First Reactions

Peter Bradshaw: An utterly absorbing drama of guilt and moral choices – with touches of Haneke and Antonioni

Matthew Anderson: An austere but gripping drama about how corruption in a system poisons everything

Robbie Collin: Crash MA in moral compromise from Cluj College (Hard Knocks Dept.). Knotty, not his best, but still v good

Jessica Kiang: O, Cristian Mungiu, you magnificently pessimistic bastard. Graduation is terrific, yo.

Gregory Ellwood: Graduation was good even if you saw the storyline a mile away

Peter Howell: Haneke comparisons spot on for Mungiu’s drama of moral corrosion, doctor skirting rules while preaching fairness

Dave Calhoun: The very good Graduation features Maria Dragus, who was one of the kids in The White Ribbon. It has Haneke’s fingerprints all over it

David Jenkins: Graduation (Mungiu) – Scene: Romania, present day. Kid: How should I behave? Adult: It’s complicated. Another belter from Mungiu

Tim Robey: Cooled on Graduation, a morality play of string-pulling, as it went along. Strong idea; schematic development. Middle of comp pack.

Mike D’Angelo: A dozen years ago, this slippery slope of well intentioned malfeasance would have seemed revelatory. Now, familiar.

Tom Vincent: Oh boy Graduation, a real contender. Very classy, has very much that is missing from many other ‘realist’ films at Cannes

ReplyCopy URL
    13SV8
    Participant
    Topics:

RT Scores for In Competition (Palm D’or)

1. American Honey-47%
    2. Aquarius- 90%
    3. From the land of the Moon- 17%
    4. The Handsmaiden-98%
    5. I, Daniel Blake- 83%
    6. It’s Only the End of the World- 56%
    7. Julieta-68%
    8. Loving- 95%
    9. Ma’Rose- 75%
    10. Paterson- 94%
    11. Personal Shopper- 54%
    12. Staying Vertical- 63%
    13. Sieranevada- 100%
    14. Slack Bay- N/A
    15. Toni ErdMann- 93%
    16. The Unknown Girl- 64%

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Early word on Refn is that, once again, his film is a disaster.

Since I like Only God Forgives this is good news.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Will Sonia Braga win Best Actress or will the film win the Palme d’Or or one of the two jury prizes? Ruth Negga is possible for Best Actress too and we haven’t seen reviews for Isabelle Huppert in Elle…

Very disappointed in the negative reviews of Xavier Dolan’s films; seems like all the films I was most looking forward to coming out of Cannes haven’t done well critically – I still want to see them; what I tried to say in a different post is that I often have different taste than a majority of critics – I like old fashioned movies and dislike the need for “hip and with it” material – don’t gang up on me, it’s just an explanation of why I sometimes find reviews and critics dismaying.

Anyway… I think Adam Driver has a really good chance at Best Actor for Paterson.

I have the feeling The Salesman is going to get a strong favorable reaction; A Separation was superb and while Le Passe (The Past) wasn’t perfect – he was working with French actors for the first time – he is a truly remarkable film maker.

I am trying to remember what the other three films are that still haven’t shown yet – The Salesman and Elle and 3 others… for in competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Early word on Refn is that, once again, his film is a disaster.

Since I like Only God Forgives this is good news.

I’m actually in the minority that likes that one better than Drive. But he’s a mess of a director either way

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
Reply To: Cannes 2016?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.