Cannes 2017

Home // Forums // Movies // Cannes 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 212 total)

This topic contains 211 replies, has 16460 views, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jason Paulus jasonface 1 hour, 30 minutes ago.

• Profile photo of BeeBee
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say it’s out. Wonderstruck could still get that passion vote with critics. But now, with it being considered the frontrunner to win, those chances are done unless something truly crazy happens to revive it.

Profile photo of AlexAMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonderstruck striking out is a relief we don’t have to include it in the Oscar conversation.

It’s not struck out. Some people really love it, some people are more mixed towards it. I’ve not seen a complete pan for the film.

Generally, much more positive reactions than Hacksaw sodding Ridge had, and that ended up winning two Oscars!

Profile photo of jacob gitlinjacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I don’t think it struck out either. The general tenor of the reviews was that it was a better, more artistic version of ELAIC…which was a BP nominee.

People were saying the same thing about Lion, that it’s overly sentimental, and it managed a pretty decent nomination haul.

It also seems like Burwell is the current frontrunner for score, for sure.

Profile photo of kazizkaziz
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t read a single review hyper-praising Williams’ or Moore’s performances though so I think it’s out in the acting categories at the very least.

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not struck out. Some people really love it, some people are more mixed towards it. I’ve not seen a complete pan for the film.

Have you read The Guardian’s two-star review?

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

OKJA

Netflix logo got booed at the press screening, which stopped five minutes later due to aspect ratio malfunction. The irony!

Reax!

Joe Utichi – Okja is a sweet slice of succulent sirloin. Tremendous. #cannes

Piere Conran – It’ll make you jump for joy then break your heart. It’s name is #OKJA. Bong Joon-ho has done it again. #옥자 #Cannes2017 

Jamie Graham – Bong Joon-On’s giant pig movie Okja is a delight – & distressing in its mistreatment of the CG GM-porcine. Thrills, politics, heart #cannes

Alex Billington – Wowza. Never seen anything like Okja before, one-of-a-kind film. If this doesn’t make you go vegetarian, I don’t know what will.

FilmLand Empire – OKJA is charming and often hilarious, a real treat #Cannes2017 

Jordan Hoffman – Gyllenhaal goes Full Sharlto but if you can handle that OKJA is quite the film. A crime if it doesn’t show in theaters. #Cannes2017 

Gregory Ellwood – As for the movie itself… Okja is masterful filmmaking. Moving, inventive, visionary. And funny too. See it on the big screen. #Cannes2017 

Total Film – Bong Joon-ho’s GM super-pig movie Okja is a cut above. Action, drama, wonky comedy, oodles of heart & a howling message #cannes

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Elena Lazic – I laughed, I cried, I might go vegetarian: OKJA is wonderful. Way better than SNOWPIERCER and best use of Annie’s Song in 2017. #Cannes2017 

Dave Calhoun – Bong Joon Ho’s GM pig caper OKJA is largely silly with the odd good moment. Swinton, Gyllenhaal far too broad. Proceed with cochon. #cannes

Eric Kohn – Only Bong Joon Ho could make the story of a mutant pig and the girl who loved her both endearing & political. #Cannes2017 

Patrick Ryan – OKJA is the most fun I’ve had watching a PETA ad. Gyllenhaal and Swinton are inspired casting, and Seo Hyun-Ahn is a breakout. #Cannes2017 

Richard Lawson – OKJA is great. A spirited, weird, poignant plea for compassion and principle. Its closing moments feel like a benediction. #Cannes2017 

Beatrice Behn – My heart bleeds for #Okja. Great film, perfect creature feature, funny, honest /w attitude. Exactly what cinema needs…oh wait. #Cannes17

David Jenkins – Is Okja a Netflix movie that disses the idea of Netflix movies? Felt also like a live action Ghibli movie. Good fun. A Bong hit(!) #cannes70 

Jason Gorber – OKJA – porcine version of NEVERENDING STORY mixed with ecoterrorism and GMO politics. Steange, surreal, and kind of lovely #cannes2017 

Tim Grierson – OKJA: Just OK. There’s a dark, primal story in there, but the aggressive eccentricity keeps getting in the way. Pig looks great. #Cannes2017 

John Bleasdale – Okja: Bong Joon Ho gives us Babe on steroids. Dark, Moving, hilarious #Cannes2017  @cinevue

Profile photo of MM
    Participant
    Topics:

Not a sophomore nod for Swinton with this vehicle.

Profile photo of AlexAMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Have you read The Guardian’s two-star review?

I hadn’t. I have now hahaha. Not quite the no-pan reviews for it now then, but still not am across the board pan like The Last Face or Collateral Beauty.

Profile photo of AlexAMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The Square First Reactions

Alex Billington: So, Ruben Östlund is a fucking genius. My god I love him. The Square – Unbelievably brilliant breakdown of art, society & more. Laughed my ass off. Östlund plays with our minds in the best of ways.

Richard Lawson: THE SQUARE is the TONI ERDMANN of this year. Comedy of manners and socioeconomics that’s often brilliant, but is too long and overstuffed

Beatrice Behn: Perfect emotional torture. What a film! Puts you in disbelief, despair, disgust while making sure you’d never think you’d be any better.

Tim Grierson: Wildly thematically and tonally ambitious comedy-drama. Loved its nerve, wished its batting average was a bit better

AADowd:  Not 100% on how it adds up, but THE SQUARE is something else: a scathingly funny comedy about intervention & social responsibility. At least that’s *part* of what it’s about. Again, there’s a lot in this one.

Jordan Ruimy: “The Square” is 3/4 of a great movie, think “Holy Motors” meets “Toni Erdmann,” but it just doesn’t know how to properly finish

Peter Bradshaw: Ruben Östlund turns an art museum into a city-state of bizarre, dysfunctional and Ballardian strangeness in The Square

Sam Gray: Wayyyy too shaggy for its own good, but terrific fun, with sequences that even Buñuel would be proud of

Alicia Malone: The Square: Ruben Östlund does it again with another thought-provoking sharply funny film. Enjoyed it a lot!

Steven Zeitchik: The Square, from director of Force Majeure, a blackly comic gem of class & morality, about gap between being perceived as good & actually doing it

Xan Brooks: Art-world satire The Square thwarts a hot take response but I loved its looping, funny digressions/discussions. A fizzy can of Bunuel-lite?

Profile photo of AlexAMG
    Participant
    Topics:

So the first five films have screened for the press. Based purely on their reactions, it seems they are ranked as follows:

1. The Square
    2. Loveless
    3. OKJA
    4. Wonderstruck
    5. Jupiter’s Moon

Will be very interesting to see how the remaining 14 films fare.

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

So the first five films have screened for the press. Based purely on their reactions, it seems they are ranked as follows:

1. The Square
    2. Loveless
    3. OKJA
    4. Wonderstruck
    5. Jupiter’s Moon

Will be very interesting to see how the remaining 14 films fare.

I guess it’s a matter of perception, but I definitely wouldn’t put The Square at #1 based on what I’ve seen. It’s Okja/Loveless (close), then Wonderstruck/The Square (close), and arguably Jupiter’s Moon at #5. But it depends on where you look!

Profile photo of Jason Paulusjasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

1. The Square
    2. Loveless
    3. OKJA
    4. Wonderstruck
    5. Jupiter’s Moon

Sounds about right to me

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

The shade!

Ok, so since 2013 I maintain a list on Twitter that follows over 200 accounts from Cannes attendees from every continent in the world. If I see someone that’s there, I include them on that list.

The difference of perception between AMG and I may come from me following a lot of non-English speaking critics/journalists (which I like because that’s closer to the actual juries). I did feel like The Square had a warmer reception from American/British critics, so that would explain our dissonant perceptions.

There are some sites/blogs/Twitter accounts working as aggregators for ratings from critics covering Cannes.

Rotten Tomatoes does not have a page for The Square yet. The other movies are ranked in this order: Loveless, Okja, Wonderstruck, Jupiter’s Moon.

French magazine Le Film Français ranks them this way: Loveless, Okja, Wonderstruck, Jupiter’s Moon. (Also hasn’t counted The Square yet.)

French website Les inRocks has this ranking from the critics in their panel: Wonderstruck, Okja, Loveless, Jupiter’s Moon.

Screendaily magazine has only factored in the first two films shown, and has Loveless #1 and Wonderstruck #2.

American website IonCinema also has a panel, and also hasn’t included The Square yet. But they rank the movies this way: Loveless, Okja, Wonderstruck, Jupiter’s Moon.

German website Critic.de offers this ranking: Wonderstruck, Okja, The Square, and Loveless and Jupiter’s Moon almost tied.

http://cannes-rurban.rhcloud.com/2017 has this ranking: Okja, Wonderstruck, The Square, Loveless, Jupiter’s Moon.

Todaslascriticas, an aggregator from Argentina (but has critics from all over the world like all the aggregators mentioned before), has this order: Wonderstruck, Okja, Loveless, The Square, Jupiter’s Moon.

Chinese Critics Grid has Loveless first and Wonderstruck tied with Jupiter’s Moon for second place.

Finally, from Chaosreigns.fr: Okja, Wonderstruck, The Square, Loveless, Jupiter’s Moon.

Profile photo of AlexAMG
    Participant
    Topics:

120 Beats Per Minute First Reactions

Matt Hoffman: Our first legitimate Palme contender. Draining, powerful. I cried!

Caspar Salmon: Robin Campillo’s 120 BATTEMENTS PAR MINUTE is triumphant: robust, sensuous, funny, tender, glintingly intelligent, devastating. What the film does verges on the miraculous, in the way it commingles the personal and political so adroitly. It’s a belter of a film.

Peter Bradshaw: Robin Campillo’s 120 Beats Per Minute commemorates the ACT UP movement as a life during wartime, a radical moment like 1848

Tim Grierson: Conventional but enhanced by its intelligence and restraint. Has a poetic ending, goes 10 more minutes.

Alex Billington: Riveting film about AIDS activist group in Paris in 1990s. Beautiful, inspiring story of living to make a difference. This is one of those films that gave me that emotional jolt to take advantage of life and live it to the fullest while we still can.

David Ehrlich: very strong, sensitive docudrama about ACT UP Paris and “living politics in the first-person.”

Gregory Ellwood: Like God’s Own Country, 120 Beats Per Minute has one of the most visceral and moving gay sex scenes on film.

Richard Lawson: 120 BEATS PER MINUTE, about ACT UP Paris, is talky and technical but still richly intimate. Nahuel Biscayart for best actor pls!

Jada Yuan: Weeping, applause, and silent exit for 120 BATTEMENTS PAR MINUTE, an astounding AIDS movie as full of life as it is of death.

John Bleasdale: 120 Battements Par Minute – Robin Campillo’s Aids drama is powerful and moving, both political and personal

Niels Putman: Tender gay love story deep down incredibly moving docudrama bout AIDS activist group. Devastating. 

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 212 total)
Reply To: Cannes 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.