Home Forums Movies “Carrie” Remake 2013

“Carrie” Remake 2013

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Troy
    Topics:

If you haven’t heard, Stephen King’s classic novel is being brought to the big screen once again.   The 1976 film version directed by DePalma received two Oscar nominations–Best Actress for Sissy Spacek and Best Supporting Actress for Piper Laurie.

This updated version is set to go into production next month for a March 15, 2013 release date.

Kimberly Peirce, who directed the Oscar winning Boy’s Don’t Cry is taking the director’s helm and says that this version will follow King’s novel more closely and will be set in in this time period.

Chloe Grace Moretz is set to star as Carrie White.

Word is Julianne Moore is in talks to take over the iconic role of Margaret White.

Thoughts, particularly on casting?

dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

LOVE the casting.. Am just not sure whether it is necessary. I am always down for a horror flick though. If Pierce turns this into a gritty, in-depth character study (Brandon Teena) it could be quite interesting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Chloe Moretz is finally going to get her first Oscar nod hopefully. She is going to kill it literally.

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

I appreciate that Peirce is trying to get some real talent behind this film, which is more than can be said of 99% of recent horror remakes.  She herself is a talented filmmaker and it will be extremely interesting to the final product considering her dark and gritty style. 

I am not one of those people that constantly bitches about remakes—I think sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t.  Carrie is one of my favorite films, but if I am being honest, it could stand an update as some of it comes off as extremely outdated.   The made for television remake was mediocre at best and really had limitations because it WAS made for television.

The theme is more relevant today than ever and I hope Pierce’s vision separates itself from the DePalma film but stays true to the original impact of the novel. 

It is a good sign that Moretz is signed on to play Carrie, as she is an extremely talented actress and age-appropriate for the part.

Moore as Maragaret White will be exciting to see, though I also think someone like Vera Farmiga could really tear into the role. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

i loved the movie and i love this casting, but……really??? another remake…..

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Didn’t they already do a remake in 2002 or something? Why are they doing a remake, I can understand films getting a remake when they weren’t that good in the first place, but this film is iconic and so was Sissy Spacek’s performance. No one will be able to top her ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

Didn’t they already do a remake in 2002 or something? Why are they doing a remake, I can understand films getting a remake when they weren’t that good in the first place, but this film is iconic and so was Sissy Spacek’s performance. No one will be able to top her ever.

Yes, it was a made for television remake that was suppose to the the start of a Carrie television series.   It was received very poorly (though Angela Bettis does a very good job as Carrie, but Patricia Clarkson was very wooden and miscast as Margaret White) and the ending was just god awful.

Again, with the talent behind this one, I am curious to see how it turns out.  As mentioned, the theme (bullying) is very relevant to today and it will be interesting to see how far Peirce takes it.   She is also a very unconventional choice for a director for this, which has my curiousity piqued even more….

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Actually the original “Carrie” didnt scare me much, which for me is a good thing. I love horror and being ‘afraid’ but not that scared. As long as they dont get too graphic with the pig blood I should be fine.

I think Moretz is a pretty good choice and I hope Moore takes the role. I can already see her zealous craziness  Still, I’m not really looking forward to an ‘in depth character study’ for this iconic, campy film. If it opens at Tribeca, I’ll worry then. Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

It won’t be actual pig blood Pook!! Ha.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll watch for the Animal Disclaimer at the end dannyboy…..

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

Hm.. should be interesting.  I hope it’s done well.  I honestly can’t imagine anyone but Sissy and Piper in those roles, but I’ll definitely see it.  

I have to say, though, I think that the prom scene is one of the most effectively directed scenes in movie history.  It’ll be hard to top that! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

I have to say, though, I think that the prom scene
    is one of the most effectively directed scenes in movie history.  It’ll
    be hard to top that! 

Hard to top–that’s an understatement.

Just as Gus Van Sant should not have re-made PSYCHO, I suspect Kimberly
    Peirce shouldn’t re-make CARRIE. Why f*ck with perfection?

Also, Julianne Moore has been great in numerous
    films, but she was a pale imitation of Jodie Foster as ‘Clarice
    Starling’ in the sequel HANNIBAL and she probably shouldn’t try to top Piper
    Laurie’s iconic performance either.

ReplyCopy URL
    gydyup
    Topics:

I’m probably the biggest fan of the original film and book and have been fascinated by it as far back as 6 years old.  The original was excellent in perfect De Palma style, grainy and ethereal in the way it was shot.  I was not a big fan of the sequel, but did appreciate the made for TV version as it had more the elements of the novel in it.  I am very excited for this big budget remake of Carrie and think Moretz and Moore will be a great duo – I do hope they get the “dance” between Carrie and Margaret down well.  I also believe it’s finally time a woman directed (it’s only fitting I think).  If anyone is interested, there didn’t seem to be a Carrie Fan Page on Facebook, which I’ve created at http://www.facebook.com/carriefanpage.  Please Like it if you’re interested.

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

It’s official:   Julianne Moore has signed on to play Margaret White.     Gabrielle Wilde is set to play Sue Snell.   No word on casting for Billy Nolan or Chris Hargeson yet, but filming is set to begin on June 1st.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

If I had my wish, Sissy Spacek would play Margaret White. Too bad too much time has passed!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: “Carrie” Remake 2013

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.