Home Forums Movies Christopher Nolan’s DUNKIRK (7.21.2017)

Christopher Nolan’s DUNKIRK (7.21.2017)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • DamianWayne
    Participant
    Topics:

Nolan’s next feature, set to be released on July 21, 2017, will center on the evacuation of Dunkirk, France during World War II:

Sources tell Variety that Nolan will direct “Dunkirk” from his own original screenplay as his next project. Insiders say the yet-to-be cast unknowns will lead the cast, but that Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hardy are currently in talks to join the ensemble.

Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner Emma Thomas.

The story is set during the legendary evacuation of the northern French city during WWII. Nolan and his casting department recently began testing teenagers in London for lead roles, but the director also wanted to nail down some choices for the few adult roles in the film before the holiday.

Warner Bros. has dated the film for July 21, 2017. The large-scale production will be shot on a combination of IMAX 65mm and 65mm large format film for maximum image quality and high impact immersion. Shooting will begin in May using many of the real locations of the true-life events, which form the background for the story. 

Hunter Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Fuck yes, so excited. One of my favorite directors, two of my favorite actors (Rylance and Hardy), and one of my favorite subjects (WWII). Could this finally get Nolan some Oscar love?! Seems very Oscar-friendly, with former nominee Branagh and this year’s hopefuls at the center, WWII always being represented at the Oscars, and the fact that Inception got nominated for BP. The only thing that makes me think not is the release date, but Inception was released in July and got in, so I don’t see why this one couldn’t. 

Can’t wait! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Lone Pirate
    Participant
    Topics:

So Nolan is trying the Spielberg method to obtain an Oscar – release a string of commercial hits before venturing to WW II as a crowning achievement. This Nolan fan thinks this effort will (and should) fail. I’m not convinced there is enough box office appeal in this subject to warrant a prime summer release date and a massive budget.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

He can shoot this thing with all the different and cool cameras he wants, but one thing is sure, it’ll be his lowest grossing film since Batman Begins. He’s not even remotely doing what his audience is expecting. Not saying it will fail, not saying it’ll be bad, but from the guy who brought you Dark Knight, Inception and Interstellar comes….a WWII movie? Like we need more of those? And the evacuation of Dunkirk, France…the film I’ve been waiting all my life to see. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

He can shoot this thing with all the different and cool cameras he wants, but one thing is sure, it’ll be his lowest grossing film since Batman Begins. He’s not even remotely doing what his audience is expecting. Not saying it will fail, not saying it’ll be bad, but from the guy who brought you Dark Knight, Inception and Interstellar comes….a WWII movie? Like we need more of those? And the evacuation of Dunkirk, France…the film I’ve been waiting all my life to see. 

Jesus, so much negativity in this thread already! Well, Nolan ventured into fucking 19th century magicians for The Prestige and still got good reviews and reasonable box office. And BTW, that came after Batman Begins, so do you really think a big-budget WWII thriller with one of the most in-demand actors around will make less than 109 million dollars? Please. After Batman, did Nolan’s audience expect him to do The Prestige? Of course not, but it still has an insane rating on IMDb thanks to his fans. Do you want him to keep doing sci-fi films? More superhero blockbusters? That would be an extreme waste of his talent and time. I’ve never even heard of Dunkirk either but I’m excited for the film based on the extreme talent involved, and I’m sure the rest of his fans are as well, which is more than enough to make the film succeed. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Damn I completely forgot about The Prestige, which is awful since I fucking love that film.

“After Batman, did Nolan’s audience expect him to do The Prestige”? Who the fuck was Christopher Nolan to general audiences? He was the guy from Memento and Insomnia who happened to make a Batman film, if his next film was about magicians….well ok then. And 19th century magicians is a cool thing to watch or anticipate from the Batman/Memento director….but ANOTHER WWII about a specific subject nobody cares about? And it’ll be called “Dunkirk”? It sounds like a David Spade/Rob Schneider movie.

After both Batman sequels plus Interstellar and Inception, it’s a pretty weird choice, and it won’t be the widely anticipated film his past four projects were. Even Interstellar was sort of a letdown at the box office compared to his previous films. If it succeeds or not, it remains to be seen. Will it be good, I trust him sure, it’s fucking Christopher Nolan, I’m just comenting on the subject and how general audiences might react. 

ReplyCopy URL
    bondzzz
    Participant
    Topics:

Knowing Nolan, there will be definitely be layers and surprises in what might just be a simple WWII-themed movie. I mean, Batman Begins might had be another superhero movie, Interstellar could have been another sci-fi movie, even Inception could have been a movie ala Matrix but most turn out quite fine. 

I will reserve judgement until I really know how the story gonna turns out. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Monty
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope he will get the Oscar one day. He is a genius.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”BenitoDelicias”]

Jesus, so much negativity in this thread already! Well, Nolan ventured into fucking 19th century magicians for The Prestige and still got good reviews and reasonable box office. And BTW, that came after Batman Begins, so do you really think a big-budget WWII thriller with one of the most in-demand actors around will make less than 109 million dollars? Please. After Batman, did Nolan’s audience expect him to do The Prestige? Of course not, but it still has an insane rating on IMDb thanks to his fans. Do you want him to keep doing sci-fi films? More superhero blockbusters? That would be an extreme waste of his talent and time. I’ve never even heard of Dunkirk either but I’m excited for the film based on the extreme talent involved, and I’m sure the rest of his fans are as well, which is more than enough to make the film succeed. 
    [/quote]

Lol. Ok HunterLogan.

I am a fan of Nolan’s, but not this freaking subject. If all gets greenlit then I guess we’ll see…..not as if this topic hasnt been covered before….

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree, WWII movie is not the thing I’d like Mr. Nolan to do but I surely hope he will bring something interesting to this tired genre, his own spin.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

Harry Styles has to be the oddest casting choice in a while.
    Cast:
    Oscar Nominee- Tom Hardy
    Oscar Nominee- Kenneth Branagh
    Oscar Winner- Mark Rylance
    One Direction’s- Harry Styles

Maybe Nolan sees something in him (my sister says he was on an episode of ICarly and how he was awful in it). Hope for the  best.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Harry Styles is of course a complete surprise and makes me want to see the film 50% less, but I’ve never been very disappointed with Nolan’s casting before. Maybe he sees something in him? No idea what that could be, though. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Great for Mark Rylance though! 

…and nice that he and Tom Hardy, who just competed for the same Oscar, now play together in the same movie. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Harry Styles is stunt casting because the studio knew this wasn’t going to be a high grosser otherwise. Now with One Direction’s fanbase seeing it, it’s a guaranteed success.

ReplyCopy URL
    KristopherRod
    Participant
    Topics:

So I thought this was going to be a stunt casting too and Harry was going to end up being a cameo to draw people to the movie, but it seems that Harry and the other three newcomers in the film are going to be playing the lead roles. Should be interesting to say the least, having seen Harry on iCarly, I can assure you that he was awful. Maybe he’s taken some lessons.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.