Home Forums Movies Costume Design 2014 — Atwood vs. Canonero?

Costume Design 2014 — Atwood vs. Canonero?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • 24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Costume Design nominees:

Colleen Atwood, Into the Woods
    Mark Bridges, Inherent Vice
    Milena Canonero, The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Jacqueline Durran, Mr. Turner
    Anna B. Sheppard and Jane Clive, Maleficent

Colleen Atwood (Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha, Alice in Wonderland) and Milena Canonero (Barry Lyndon, Chariots of Fire, Marie Antoinette) have each won 3 Oscars in the past. It seems likely that one of them will win their 4th this year. Which one does?

This is the rare category that I wouldn’t care if The Grand Budapest Hotel won. That being said the more impressive and flashier costumes belong to Into the Woods.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I was thinking about starting a thread for this category myself, but I’m glad you did first. I honestly think all except Maleficent have at least an outside chance of winning. It’s also interesting that, as well as Canonero and Atwood’s 3 wins each, Bridges and Durran are also previous winners, for The Artist and Anna Karenina respectively. Only Maleficent’s designers haven’t won before, which sucks for them because I think they’re dead last.

Those awesome costumes in Inherent Vice might get my vote based on the trailer alone – I can’t see the film till the end of this month. Mr. Turner would also be deserving, but ultimately I think it comes down to Grand Budapest and Into the Woods. Canonero’s costumes for the former are wonderfully unique, but most of the attention is directed towards the production design. Therefore I think Into the Woods is likelier, as Oscar-friendly fantasy often wins here (as opposed to quirky fantasy such as Terry Gilliam films, which most voters probably turn off after the first ten minutes). 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope the Grand Budapest Hotel wins here, but Into the a Woods seems like the most likely winner. It is very much in line with the past winners, where Budapest seems like one that is impressive, but the Academy won’t be as enthralled by it.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Budapest will take it. They are fresh, colorful, and fun costumes while Into the Woods, though great, is kind of the same old same old period piece/fairy tales costumes 

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Atwood. They love her. This will be her 4th oscar. She is the new Edith Head.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Canonero wins #4

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m rooting for Milena Canonero to win. Colleen Atwood should only win when Sandy Powell is around as her main competition lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

^ I was looking over past winners and nominees in this category when posting here earlier, and Powell and Atwood are mysteriously linked. Both have 3 Oscars, neither have ever won without competing with the other, nor have they ever both lost in the same year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Grand Budapest Hotel winning, but anyone could win and I’ll be okay with it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sean C
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’ll be Grand Budapest  over Into the Woods.  Either could win, but I think the design aesthetic of Wes Anderson’s films is so distinctive that, now that it’s actually up for the tech awards, it will win a number of them. And this films retro-30s look is right up the Academy’s ally.  Plus, Sandy Powell isn’t nominated, so Atwood won’t win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan Lapierre
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Canonero will win because her costumes are the ones that stands out above the rest.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Milena Canonero wins and I hope she wins too. I loved the costumes and all of the design elements in The Grand Budapest Hotel. I would be disappointed if Atwood were to win again, but she’s definitely my second place.

Incoherent Vice’s costume design nomination is the single worst nominee of the year in the technical categories. There were many other films that deserved a nomination more, such as Belle and Magic In the Moonlight, just to name two.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

“Incoherent Vice’s costume design nomination is the single worst nominee of the year in the technical categories.”

Really? I’ve only seen the trailer (seeing it on Friday) and they looked pretty impressive to me, maybe the wackiest and most inspired of the bunch. Are you a hippie-hater or something? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

These days, there is only one question worth asking when assessing a Costume Design winner’s chances: “What do the women wear?”  People remember gowns and dresses far more than what the men are sporting.  Need proof?  Of the last 10 winners, 7 of them even had women in their titles!  And the other three had major roles for women (two of them, Oscar-nominated roles).

BUDAPEST does not.  Of its two most pronounced females, one dies early and other is a young girl who essentially has one outfit the whole film.  But both are on the margins of the main narrative.   Contrast this to WOODS, with all the lush princess/witch finery constantly on display (again, with an Oscar-nominated role among them).

You’d have to go back to the 80s to find films where male-heavy films (GANDHI, CHARIOTS, EMPEROR) won this category.  These days, the edge is always to films that highlight women (or female impersonators, ala PRISCILLA)

WOODS will win. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

These days, there is only one question worth asking when assessing a Costume Design winner’s chances: “What do the women wear?”  People remember gowns and dresses far more than what the men are sporting.  Need proof?  Of the last 10 winners, 7 of them even had women in their titles!  And the other three had major roles for women (two of them, Oscar-nominated roles).

BUDAPEST does not.  Of its two most pronounced females, one dies early and other is a young girl who essentially has one outfit the whole film.  But both are on the margins of the main narrative.   Contrast this to WOODS, with all the lush princess/witch finery constantly on display (again, with an Oscar-nominated role among them).

You’d have to go back to the 80s to find films where male-heavy films (GANDHI, CHARIOTS, EMPEROR) won this category.  These days, the edge is always to films that highlight women (or female impersonators, ala PRISCILLA)

WOODS will win. 

You make some good points, and I did have Woods winning until I changed my mind. Atwood is a force, but she’s in tough with other “forces”, with an esoteric film(s) with a specific audience.

Those films you cite may be heavily male oriented, but Gandhi has some spectacular outfits (worn by women), colourful and appropriate (and BP). Chariots has the gorgeous Alice Krige dressed to the nines (and BP), and Emperor is equal in terms of dress, and style (and BP). We recall the spectacular Joan Chen probably more than the spectacular John Lone.

So I’m not as convinced as you are, but then, I could change my mind here before the deadline.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.