Home Forums Movies Could 2012 be the first oscar year with black nominees in every acting category?

Could 2012 be the first oscar year with black nominees in every acting category?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
Renaton
Tye-Grr
Cordell Martin
  • Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

I was just lately reviewing my oscar nominations prediction page and found out that there is strong possibility that there maybe an acting nominee in every category that is black. The most in the history is three that happened 4 times (2001, 2004, 2006 & 2009). But this year we may have 4 happen. Here are the contenders:

BEST ACTOR
    Jamie Foxx, Django Unchained
    Morgan Freeman, The Magic of Belle Isle
    Denzel Washington, Flight

BEST ACTRESS
    Viola Davis,Won’t Back Down
    Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Dwight Henry, Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Samuel L. Jackson, Django Unchained

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Kerry Washington, Django Unchained

Cordell Martin
    Participant
    Topics:

That would be a great to see a Black performer in each category.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

That would be beautiful. I wish I could say the same about my Asians and my Hispanics. Im half Japanese, half Puerto Rican

ReplyCopy URL
    Trent
    Topics:

Im half Japanese, half Puerto Rican

Yet your username is ENGLAND. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Yeah, it could definitely happen. The toughest might be Best Actress. The others I can see having a black winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”ENGLAND”]Im half Japanese, half Puerto Rican

Yet your username is ENGLAND. [/quote]
    That means what? England is like USA. Many race, many cultures.. Im from USA. Robert Englund is an actor who plays Freddy krueger, my favorite charcter in horro cinema. Thats where I got ENGLAND from.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

With the exception of Wallis, I honestly don’t see any of those people getting in.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly I’m so tired of this “black actors and their Oscars” talk. Isn’t an actor should get an Oscar nomination based on his/her work? Sometimes I feel that some of you doesn’t think that it matters, just want to see another black performer with an Oscar.
    And really, what about the asian or the hispanic people? You all bitching about that the poor black community doesn’t have many Oscars (even when lately they won a lot), but what about them? They barely have any acting Oscar…

This whole statement is A MESS! Considering the lack of recognition African-Americans, Hispanics, and other minorities have had at the Academy Awards, you would think people WOULD want to see a person of color win every year. I’m surprised comments like this don’t get people banned to be honest. SMH. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

You woukd think peopke WOULD want to see a person of color win every year?

Shouldn’t oscars be given to the performance and not solely on the color of skin a person has???

ReplyCopy URL
    Morgan Henard
    Topics:

Shouldn’t oscars be given to the performance and not solely on the color of skin a person has???

Yes. Sometimes, the best of the best [in the category] wins, and they just happen to be black:
    – Denzel Washington, Glory
    – Whoopi Goldberg, Ghost
    – Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
    – Mo’Nique, Precious

And sometimes they win, when they weren’t the best, and they just happen to be black:
    – Denzel Washington, Training Day
    – Halle Berry, Monster’s Ball
    – Forest Whitaker*, The Last King of Scotland
    – Octavia Spencer, The Help 

Sometimes, they’re the best of the best in their category and they lose, and they just happen to be black:
    – Angela Bassett, What’s Love Got To Do with It
    – Viola Davis, Doubt

And lets not forget when a performer is the best of the best, doesn’t even get nominated, and he (or she) just happens to be black:
    Samuel L. Jackson, A Time to Kill

*For what it’s worth, I would have been fine with Forest Whitaker winning for The Last King of Scotland had he been rightfully placed in Supporting (James McAvoy was the sole lead). I would have been fine with Viola Davis winning for The Help had she rightfully been placed in Supporting (Emma Stone was the sole lead).

I don’t think skin-color has much to do with it. Just sometimes they get it right, and sometimes they get it wrong. And I have to admit, the Oscars, Tonys, and Grammys are all very diverse when it comes to their nominations. I don’t feel that way with the Emmys, where not only are they not that diverse but their a bit ageist (the younger you are, the less likely you are to be nominated, and most especially win). 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^I guess I’m one of the few who was ecstatic about Denzel Washington’s win for ‘Training Day’.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

With the exception of Wallis, I honestly don’t see any of those people getting in.

I think you’re underestimating some of them, especially Denzel Washington for ‘Flight’. I definitely think he’s a contender. Supporting Actor is a little more iffy, and I hear Kerry Washington’s role in ‘Django Unchained’ is a fairly small one, but I guess we’ll see.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

As someone of mixed race I really couldn’t care less about whether an actor of color gets an Oscar nod or not. My main concern is the shitty state of American ethnic filmmaking. For a number of reasons we’re not seeing the diversity behind the camera. And the ones that do make it are quick to sell out or have very little talent to sell out with.

Jackson is boderline awful in A Time to Kill btw.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Editing This:

Here are the contenders:

BEST ACTOR
    Jamie Foxx, ‘Django Unchained’ (early buzz is there, needs make good on it)
    Morgan Freeman, ‘The Magic of Belle Isle’ (not likely, next to no buzz)
    Denzel Washington, ‘Flight’ (the buzz is already growing after the trailer dropped)

BEST ACTRESS
    Viola Davis, ‘Won’t Back Down’ (still has heat after losing to Streep, but will need strong reviews)
    Quvenzhane Wallis, ‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’ (massive buzz and reviews to back it, just needs to sustain it)
    Halle Berry, ‘Cloud Atlas’ (not Oscar’s typical cup of tea being in a sci-fi film and all, but she’ll get to play different characters of various ages and races in an ambitious adaptation of a popular novel)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Dwight Henry, ‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’ (strong buzz, but getting over-shadowed by Wallis)
    Samuel L. Jackson, ‘Django Unchained’ (always delivers with Tarantino, but has buzzier co-stars in Waltz and DiCaprio to compete with)
    Don Cheadle, ‘Flight’ (previous Oscar nominee, playing a meaty role opposite Washington, but will need critic’s support to get buzz going)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Kerry Washington, ‘Django Unchained’ (a mystery, but is playing a very sympathetic character)
    Gabourey Sidibe, ‘Seven Psychopaths’ (more of an extended cameo, but I’ve read that she nails it)

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Also, there’s the upcoming drama directed by George Tillman Jr. called ‘The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete’ (though I’m doubting it gets released this year) that stars Jennifer Hudson as a drug addicted mother who is taken away by the authorities, leaving behind her son and his best friend to fend for themselves. It co-stars Anthony Mackie, Jeffrey Wright, and Jordin Sparks.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Reply To: Could 2012 be the first oscar year with black nominees in every acting category?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.